IGNORED

One for the future?

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Atlanta_Red said:

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Friday night TV.  He's not on here in Atlanta.

He's on a show on Channel 4 called Gogglebox, which is where you watch people watching telly. Sounds strange but it's a very popular show! 

Apologies if I'm telling you things you already know - not sure how up-to-date you are with all things UK!

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He's on a show on Channel 4 called Gogglebox, which is where you watch people watching telly. Sounds strange but it's a very popular show! 

Apologies if I'm telling you things you already know - not sure how up-to-date you are with all things UK!

Didn't know that.  Regarding up-to-date with the UK, I hear you're leaving Europe or something, and the pound is now worth 25 cents.

Jason Dozzell - awesome player at Ipswich from the age of 16, he was signed by Bobby Robson and was compared to Gazza. They were more or less the same age. Dozzell was the youngest player to score in the top division in England when he notched on his debut against Coventry in 1984 aged 16. In an incredible coincidence his son also scored on his debut for Ipswich aged 16!!!!

At the age of 21 Jason was Ipswich's top scorer despite being a midfielder.

He got his big move to Spurs at the age of 26, arguably at his peak but just four years later he plummeted through the divisions moving to Northampton, Colchester, Canvey Island and Grays Athletic.

He was unlucky with injuries but just never fulfilled his undoubted potential. Whenever I saw him play he was just brilliant.

A real shame but he played nearly 600 games so won't feel too sorry for him, but he should have been at the top level for much longer than he was....

4 hours ago, Squeak said:

For me it was Steven Caulker. I thought he was a cut above all of our players and saved us countless points in a difficult season. When he then went on to play and score for England, I thought it was a matter of time before he became a regular. 

Also, whatever happened to Jennison Myrie-Williams? I can remember him scoring a delightful chip in front of the old East End. Thought he had a bit of talent. Now playing for Newport according to Wikipedia.

Yeah scored this week against Swansea

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Jason Dozzell - awesome player at Ipswich from the age of 16, he was signed by Bobby Robson and was compared to Gazza. They were more or less the same age. Dozzell was the youngest player to score in the top division in England when he notched on his debut against Coventry in 1984 aged 16. In an incredible coincidence his son also scored on his debut for Ipswich aged 16!!!!

At the age of 21 Jason was Ipswich's top scorer despite being a midfielder.

He got his big move to Spurs at the age of 26, arguably at his peak but just four years later he plummeted through the divisions moving to Northampton, Colchester, Canvey Island and Grays Athletic.

He was unlucky with injuries but just never fulfilled his undoubted potential. Whenever I saw him play he was just brilliant.

A real shame but he played nearly 600 games so won't feel too sorry for him, but he should have been at the top level for much longer than he was....

Jason Dozell and Chris Armstrong, through bad luck, poor personal decision making and (probably) bad management both failed to realise their potential.

I hope players starting their journey in the professional game now are being told about these top potential pros who don't always make it. And hopefully lessons are taken on board.

All the City ones I can think of have been covered but two current non City players I can think of that I got wrong are Henry Lansbury and Tom Cleverly. I can remember both going out on loan to Championship clubs at a young age and looking the part making me think that they'd go on to have great careers and be possible England players. I wonder if they were guilty of thinking that they'd made it too early. I thought similar of David Bentley too, he seemed to like being a footballer more than he liked playing football and never lived up to the hype.

56 minutes ago, Psycho Glenn said:

Jon Economou -had an amziang game versus Wimbledon in 1982 ( 4th Div, We won 4-2 in think?) and didn't seem to build on that?

I remember this game well. Prior to this game, we had reached bottom of all divisions having started in 6th place  (I think) in the first division, just 3 years earlier. 

I think the attendance was around 4,200......but I was there! 

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

You are joking, right? Still one of my all time favourite City players. Maybe you're thinking of the wobbly water but nonetheless still hugely successful for City. 

Nope. Good player for us, he could have had a superb career though but didn't grasp it with both hands. 

13 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

Wasn't Tristan Plummer going to be a star in the making?  I vaguely remember Arsenal being after him.  Maybe it was someone else.  Then he disappeared.

He moved from Weston back to Hereford again in August.

9 hours ago, where's the joy said:

peter spiring.

a few games as a young winger with us then off to liverpool for 40k and never seen again

Got a bad injury. I remember a quote from Shankly where he said how gutted he was for him because he would have had a great future.

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Unfortunately he is like one of those freestyle footballers the kids like. 

Bags of individual talent but just not good enough to be a top class team player.

Too good for League One but not good enough for the Championship. Much like Pack, Reid and Freeman  (if this forum is to be believed).

Like I said,  I don't really want to start this argument again but you can't' say a player with the number of goals and assists he had when he was on form was just a show pony. I think the freestyle footballer comparison is unfair in that regard. 

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

John Bain ........ He now coaches at youth level in the US.

Don't know why, but for years I just assumed that he finished football and started "John Bain's Fireplaces" on the Bath Road opposite Callington Road.

:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Don't know why, but for years I just assumed that he finished football and started "John Bain's Fireplaces" on the Bath Road opposite Callington Road.

:facepalm:

I'll admit that the same thing did cross my mind when I lived in Brislington :)

Archived