IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

Did you do this mate? Have you got the colour photo of Gerry grabbing Frankie Prince?

Yes I made that image but if you mean the picture of Gerry pointing at the gas player (I dont think that's frankie prince) then I had to turn that black and white photo to some form of colour myself.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Could the message be copied here for those of us who don't frequent the FB page please :) 

From me and my family we'd like to say a massive thank u for all the great messages and condolences we've received from u all , I heard from Bristol City yesterday and they have invited me and all my family up to the game a week Saturday , so we will all be there x

Speaking as another fortunate to witness the majority of Gerry Gow's City career the superlatives widely used to describe him on this thread are no exaggeration.

Not only a superb footballer, but one with unrivalled character, tenacity and determination.

In the First Division days when he came face to face with illustrious opponents and the era's numerous hard men every week, Gerry Gow was a match for all of them, and the master of most.

The memories of City's unforgettable triumphs will always have the image of a long haired, moustachioed, snarling Gerry Gow, driving City forward, indelibly embedded in the forefront.

Bristol City were very fortunate to have such an outstanding individual and unique player, and us fans were equally blessed to have such a charismatic titan in the thick of the action as City regularly took on, and often overcame, the very best teams in England.

RIP Gerry.

On 10/10/2016 at 20:21, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure that's entirely true chief.....of the 22 man squad that Scotland took to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, 15 of them played for English clubs, including Liverpool players.

Hansen wasn't considered for the Scotland team until mid 1979 when he made his debut. He was famously left out of Scotland's squad for the 1986 World Cup when Alex Ferguson was in charge, and Hansen was arguably at his peak then. A crazy decision!

Gerry Gow should have won way more than just one Scotland U23 cap - he was the business at the top level in England, and he would never have let Scotland down.

I believe there was also a limit of two players from any one English club.

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

I believe there was also a limit of two players from any one English club.

Fair enough, but there were four Man Utd players and three Forest players in the Scotland 1978 World Cup squad and three of the Man Utd players played in their first group game....I don't remember the restrictions on numbers but I think we all agree that Gerry Gow should have played lots of times for Scotland...

On 10/11/2016 at 09:16, havanatopia said:

Anyway, may i be so bold as to suggest you insert Gerry Gow in small size font between large GOW and the dates?

I would run it left to right, all the way along i.e. same length as large Gow but with same size font as those dates.

Everybody would usually say Gerry Gow instead of Gow; it has a lot more gravitas as well in my opinion. Especially when you read it thus:

Gow, Gerry Gow. ..

p.p.s. I think he currently looks a bit too much like Clive Whitehead.. maybe make his hair a touch longer, a tad scruffier and definitely not symmetrical. And maybe tone his eyes down a bit.. look a bit too menacing!! A great job though Olé.

@havanatopia - before and after with your feedback. Need to get at least a small quantity of shirts to print for next week so appreciate any quick feedback from you or anyone who is interested. Unfortunately at this point without being lucky enough to have the memories some of you have, my bias has been to style over accuracy, so my impression of these changes (but possible I've stared at this for too long): full name - understand value but design possibly loses some of its simplicity; eyes - think they're worse now as lost the intensity which helped focus the design; hair - !!! very hard to do, I hoped the original did a better job of giving a windswept impression (seemed to be behind him in most pics where he is on the run) but I take your point that it looks shorter like Clive Whitehead - my worry is second attempt could just be anyone with a lot of hair, from the photos I studied, he seemed to have more of a pentagon shaped perm than a round one........ At this point need to go with whatever people feels work best. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter the RIP thread.

257kbjd.png

Gerry Gows funeral will be on Friday the 4th November , it's 2pm Easton Methodist Church, Easton Sq, Portland Dorset , DT5 1BX, then on to Weymouth Crematorium for 3:15 then back to south Portland working men's conservative club Easton DT5 1BX to celebrate Gerry's life , all welcome, Please could you share this on your pages and forums so nobody that would like to attend misses out , thanks from Chris Gow 

so many nice things have been said about gerry gow and yet only 20 have contributed ti the fundraising in gerrys name at this time. surely most can contribute the price of a pint  as if any of us had met him in the pub we would have rushed to buy the great man  a pint.

its a really great cause so come on fellow reds  and lets get going to show our feelings for him.

Archived