IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

27 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Can anyone provide some insight into why Gerry was never selected to play for his country, seems like it was one of the only things missing from a fantastic career. I'm guessing it was because Scotland had a very strong squad during his pomp or was it more sadly because he played for us who were not as glamorous as the London clubs

They were very very strong in midfield and he also played for Manchester City. Probably get 100 caps now.

Gerry used to tackle a player, roll the ball under his leg and run off in the opposite direction to cheers from the Ashton Gate faithful,  

Ask any City fan of a certain age 'who's your favourite player?'they will just say 'Gow' as if it's a silly question, a great player who will be sadly missed, 

RIP.

For a short while Gerry lived just around the corner from our house in Hanham and drank in the Elm Tree pub where my mum worked behind the bar. She would chat to him about our family. Shortly after he appeared in the FA cup final for Man City he came into the pub and gave my mum 'something for your boy' which was a programme signed by most of the players from both teams.

Rest in peace a true gent and City legend.

To young to see him play but i have had a few decades of stories from my old man and friends to say what Gerry was like, a true footballing warrior and City legend.

Gerry was and still is my dads favourite player of all time, he is absolutely gutted.

Condolences to Gerry's family and loved ones and RIP Gerry 

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Just read David Lacey's report on that game at Elland Road. He describes Gerry Gow in one word...

...everyf'inwhere :city:

Sorted Aiz.

David Lacey's report was obviously edited before publication :)

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I cannot begin to express how sad I feel about this- it's like a piece of my youth being taken away.

I have no doubt we'll all pay him ( and his family) a tremendous tribute next home game.

That sums up how I have been feeling today. A cold chill went up and down my spine when I heard the news.

There are some wonderful tributes on here . . .  a mark of the man and the respect Gerry Gow commands from fans old and young.

The words legend and warrior crop up time and time again and no one could argue with that. His tackling alone would have been enough to affect every game he played in but he could also pass and shoot as well as any midfielder around at that time.

I was never an autograph hunter, but was milling around White Hart Lane before our match there in 1978 and spotted Gerry chatting outside the ground with a couple of other players and they happily signed my programme.

An hour or so later he was kicking Ossie Ardiles up in the air.

To all of Gerry's family and friends, I'm so sorry for your loss. We will never forget him. .

What a player he was mind!

Great servant to City, I fondly remember reading about him as I delivered the Green Un on a Saturday tea time as a young lad. Bloody good team you had back then full of passion for the shirt they wore. 

Rest in peace and thoughts go out to his family and friends from this Gashead. Hope he gets lots of recognition and honour over the coming days , he certainly deserves it.

6 hours ago, cider head said:

Gutted really gutted.

His son on Facebook posted.

Today the world fell apart for our family , my beautiful dad passed away in the early hours of the morning ,64years young he lost his battle to the most disgusting disease . Me and my family are broken hearted and nothing will ever fill the void in our hearts RIP my hero my best mate my dad xxxxx

We will never forget, I`m honoured to have seen him give everything for this club :sad26:

As many have also said, my favourite player of all time by an absolute mile, without him we wouldn't of got to the top flight and without him we wouldn't of stayed there for 4 years, only the one and only Atyeo could rival Gerrys popularity among City fans, hopefully Gerrys family can take some comfort by the many touching and adoring words spoken by so many, if ever there was song made for someone then it was Gerry's song, he really was everywhere, it's a very very sad day.

I'm starting to comes to terms with this for all the reasons stated already in this thread!

I wanted to add a comment that gets missed when talking about Gerry! The bloke could play. It was not just about being the toughest player on any field he was on it was also often about being the best player on any field he was on too!

If any player could run a game it was GERRY. His range of passing was superb and he could shoot!

I was chatting with him once going through some of his goals and he laughed and said you know I scored at Old Trafford and I said yeah and he replied I'd forgotten the bloke over there just told me! :laugh:!

A humble working class winner! A City Legend even big John would doff his cap, but an alround good human being.

It was a great honour to have met him and I know he would really want us to go all the way again!

Gerry you will be missed but our loss is the gain of all passed City fans and players!

City till he died Gerry Gow!

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Can anyone provide some insight into why Gerry was never selected to play for his country, seems like it was one of the only things missing from a fantastic career. I'm guessing it was because Scotland had a very strong squad during his pomp or was it more sadly because he played for us who were not as glamorous as the London clubs

Below is an extract from an article I saw before Gerry Gow's 2012 testimonial. It gives an idea of the standard they had to choose from at that time . . .

"Gow's burning ambition to play for the Scotland senior side was never fulfilled.
A player of his calibre would surely have walked straight in to his country's midfield in more recent years, but during Gow's time the competition was fierce.
Boss Jock Stein and his successors had the likes of Billy Bremner (54 caps), Graeme Souness (54 caps), Asa
Hartford (50 caps) and Archie Gemmill (43 caps) as squad regulars, while many City fans would argue that Gow was at least the equal of Bruce Rioch and Don Masson, who won 24 and 17 caps respectively during the
mid-seventies."

What a sad day!  One of the greatest players City have ever had in my lifetime.  He always had a great presence on the pitch and fought for every ball, I am sure he gave confidence to all the players around him, just to know he was there.  R.I.P Gerry, will always be remembered by all City fans who ever saw you play.

Sorry to impose, Rotherham fan here, thought you'd like to hear some thoughts of Gerry when he played for us........

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-rip-gerry-gow-the-millers-hardman-who-could-really-play-1-8172906

Sadly died of cancer aged 64.
Older fans will remember Gow as an old fashioned combative midfielder who played for Man City v Spurs in the 1981 Cup final & replay. He also played with distinction for Bristol City & my club Rotherham, before a brief spell at Burnley. He also had a spell as Yeovil's manager.
I remember his time at Millmoor with affection. We were third bottom of what is now the Championship (no change there then) when we played Derby at home at the beginning of February 1982 when Gerry made his debut. Gerry then proceeded to get sent off within 5 minutes & almost immediately we went a goal down. Against the odds, the siege mentality under the management of Emlyn Hughes kicked in & we won the game 2-1. What followed was a Football League record of the most consecutive League wins in one Calendar month (NINE) with Gerry (after suspension) playing a full part.
Gerry was known for his tough tackling & ball winning attributes, but he had a good range of passing with a right foot shot like a hammer. A sad day.

Didn't have the privilege of seeing him play, and always hit and miss relying on photos, so apologies if I've not captured him as people remember.

A little 2 hour knock up / work-in-progress - done from scratch so no copyright issues. Happy to make adjustments as others suggest or see fit.

GerryGow-SouthBristol-Mockup1-OTIB.png

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

Didn't have the privilege of seeing him play, and always hit and miss relying on photos, so apologies if I've not captured him as people remember.

A little 2 hour knock up / work-in-progress - done from scratch so no copyright issues. Happy to make adjustments as others suggest or see fit.

GerryGow-SouthBristol-Mockup1-OTIB.png

Would be great if some t-shirts were knocked up with this on in time for the Blackburn game.

Archived