IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I never saw the great man play for City, one of the big regrets I have as a red. Remember watching him play for Man City in the 81 Cup Final and thinking that their kit didn't quite suit him in the same way the red and the robin did

His legend will live on, RIP Gerry

Likewise. Lucky for me my Dad and my Brother were huge fans and saw him play many times. Their experiences were passed on to myself and I've only grown up knowing that Gerry was a legendary player for us and a true midfield warrior with a touch of class. My Dad had only mentioned the other day that he thought Gerry was a player who would not look out of place in the modern game.

I'd implore any younger reds who don't know him to speak to your Dad, Uncles, Grandfathers etc and learn a bit about him. He really is a legendary player for us.

48 minutes ago, COACH2 said:

I grew up watching the great man and went to all away matches late seventies in the eighties.... there was a bit of fuss about his song

'He's Here He's There He's Every F****n Where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow.....'

and we had been asked to stop singing is cos of the F******n

The next match after this request was Bolton away, we met the players as they were coming off the team coach and as Gerry came into vie we started his song he paused looked at us and he broke into a broad smile as we sang

'He's Here He's There He's Every Flippen Where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow.....

Rest in Peace and thanks for the memories

There was another version of his chant.

He's here, he's there, we're not allowed to swear.                        Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow.

The word legend is used too liberally these days and often in the wrong context. However, the gist of it is that in Gerry's case, he and John Atyeo should be the first two names in any City Hall of Fame.

I was privileged to have seen one of the best, if not the best player to have worn a Bristol City shirt.

6 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Sad, sad news. I never got to see him play but he was unquestionably my Dads favourite player as he was a lot of people on the forums and at the Gate. Met him a few times in latter years and he seemed a genuine and humble man with lots of great stories. A sad loss to us and more importantly his family.

In his memory, how about printing red t-shirts with the image taken from the surfer flag and selling them and any proceeds going to  http://www.cancerresearchuk.org ?

I know there are some on here that know all about printing t-shirts and I'm sure they would be popular and would be great to see Ashton Gate decked out in these t-shirts.

@Olé

Great shout.

A true City great. My father's driving instructor was also Gerry's instructor in the early 1970s and got me a big signed black and white photo of the young Gerry. My first ever autograph. He had only just broken into the team at the time and there was no indication that he would become such a legend for us.

As others have said he would walk into any team of ours. Billy Wedlock is probably recruiting him for the Bristol City All Time Greats XI as I write this.

RIP Gerry Gow.

Proud to say I saw him play. My favourite player of all time, warrior, legend, hero - words aren't sufficient to describe the man. 

Condolences to his family and friends, Gerry Gow will never be forgotten. He will always be "here, there, and every ****** where".

Goodnight Gerry...

Probably the best and hardest tackler I've seen play for City, never stopped was relentless for the whole 90 minutes, but also had the skill and vision to see a pass. He was the heartbeat of that successful Alan Dicks team.

Had the pleasure of meeting him briefly at the old Harry's Bar and he was quietly spoken and unassuming, not what I'd expected from his presence on the pitch but you could see why he was so popular and respected by the other players in the dressing room, he wasn't any 'big time Charlie'.

OMG... awful news to hear, 

Thanks Gerry for the massive memories you gave us all, you were a huge part of our City supporting younger days..

One of the Best for sure.... thoughts go out today for the immediate Gow family - your grief is shared by so many Reds.

Sad day today, but what a great guy & life to remember.

RIP Gerry Gow.

'Legend' is a title most football supporters use far too easily but Gerry Gow is definitely one, what a player!

My hero as a youngster by an absolute mile and probably the main reason I carried on following the City as a little one. Absolutely gutted to read of his passing.

R.I.P legend and thank you, you'll always be remembered fondly. 

Only 21, but I can appreciate what a big impact he had on this club through stories and the reaction to the sad news on here.

Quite clearly he was a special player and man, and for that he will always be remembered. Thoughts of course with his family at this sad time.

Always important to remember those of yesterday make the club what it is today - RIP.

Got up this morning to the news. To us older supporters, Gerry Gow epitomised how Bristol City became great under Alan Dicks. He was a 101% player and was committed to the team as were the others, Merrick, Gillies, Trev Tainton to name a few. With him came the knowledge that City were on the way up and loved to watch him in every match as he was a battler. Condolences go to his family in this very sad of times, I personally feel a deep sense of loss as another part my past has just gone to the vilest of diseases and months ago when we learned of his battle, I for one prayed Gerry would beat it but sadly the great footballer in the sky must have a greater need RIP Gerry- and thank you for lovely memories- OldStandRobin

Very sad day. No City player ever inspired me as much, not even the great John Atyeo. The pick of our most successful team ever and a terror on the pitch. If there is an afterlife, maybe he and Billy Bremner can go hammer and tongs again.

Just for once the fans' chant He's here..." had it just right. Sincere condolences to family and friends. He was Bristol City.

Archived