IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

I've already posted on this thread but just wanted to share a couple of memories of the great Gerry Gow...

Spent a day in his company once, shared a few lagers and brill stories, he even asked me if I'd like to marry his daughter who I'd never met!  Anyway I gave him my t shirt, which had the famous pic of him grabbing a gas player and jabbing a finger in his face with the slogan 'One Team in Bristol', and his eyes lit up, he gave it to his daughter who was chuffed to bits with that image of her Dad. He took me to watch his son play football in a local league match in the afternoon which was a surreal experience, watching a game with Gerry.

During that day I also invited him to a mate's stag weekend, and he turned up with a mate of his! How many modern day footballers would have done that?

What a guy....a proper old school footballer who played because he loved it, had a real connection with the fans and simply gave his all for our club every time he pulled on that shirt.

Great memories of a fantastic player, a Bristol City Legend....

RIP to a true legend, of Bristol City.

I would love to see a minute of silence prior to the Blackburn game, and then at some appropriate time in the game, we could all join again to sing his signature tune, as I think even the younger generation know the words.

Sad day.

RIP Gerry. I am the same age as Gerry, and when he initially broke into the first team I found it hard to believe this kid of 17 could be so hard and totally uninhibited be opposition players nearly twice his age. Hard as nails, great talent with the ball at his feet. We were lucky to have him.Thanks for the many great memories Gerry.

Thanks Gerry for those wonderful memories growing up and watching you hurl yourself into every tackle and get us going forward. Your passion for our team is matched by our love and respect for your service to our club. Leaving Glasgow at such a young age cannot have been easy, but thank you for all you gave us. Condolences to your family and to all those close to you. Lets hope we can make them proud, by marking Gerry's contribution in a meaningful and heartfelt way.

Oh what a sad day. I had the pleasure of watching Gerry Gow play, and grow from being a young lad into a real powerhouse of the team. It was also nice to see one our players make the move to a bigger club and play in an F.A.Cup final for Man. City.

Met him again many years later and even as an older man he still came across as a nice bloke.

R.I.P. Gerry Gow xx

Nice tribute from Man City;

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/2016/10/10/gerry-gow-passes-away-at-64/1476092321281

Hugely shocking news. I didn't see him play very much but well aware of the huge influence he had on the club and us fans. Just about any midfield player with a bit of talent and bite often gets compared to him 30 odd years later, such is the man.

I hope we will be able to do a fitting silent tribute at the next home game, and use the screens appropriately.

As an aside, another taken so soon, too soon. In the world when the working life is extended to 68 or 70 now for many. Sometimes life is just too short.

3 hours ago, cider head said:

Gutted really gutted.

His son on Facebook posted.

Today the world fell apart for our family , my beautiful dad passed away in the early hours of the morning ,64years young he lost his battle to the most disgusting disease . Me and my family are broken hearted and nothing will ever fill the void in our hearts RIP my hero my best mate my dad xxxxx

What a loss , a real hero to me , no one can ever replace him . RIP GG , A true hard man . 

40 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Goodnight Gerry, you will always be remembered.

My era was his era so saw pretty much all his city career at home and away , brilliant bloke, Brilliant player heartbeat of city's best ever team , have a picture somewhere of him in  the youth team with Tom Ritchie and others which he signed when I was kid getting autographs , RIP Gowy

I am truly upset waking up to this news.

Gerry for me will always be the king of the gate and I watched John Atyeo for 10 years.

Gerry was a proper hard man in an era when every team had a so called hard man, but some were faux hard men, not Gerry he was the real deal most other hard men feared him and he could play and score goals, he was a gifted footballer and for me it was a privilege to watch him throughout his career from youth through to his days at Man City, Burnley and Rotherham.

Even in his youth days you could see that there was something very special about him, he was the pick of that very successful youth team.

He never looked out of place in our 4 seasons in the top flight and in any other era he would have won a shedload of caps for Scotland.

Even if City were having an off day you knew Gerry would be still busting a gut for 90 minutes.

RIP Gerry Gow king of the gate and a true true legend, they broke the mould after your retirement from the game.

Surely there can be no doubt that Gerry has to be immortalised and honoured in the same way as John Atyeo by way of a fitting statue at the newly refurbed Gate.

My earliest memory of Gerry was the opening game of the season against Sunderland in the early 70s. It was a war of game with GG in the thick of it.  We won 4-3 and I went away from the game wanting to play football like Gerry Gow.

Thank you for so many great memories Gerry.  Rest in peace my friend.

Archived