IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

I know I've already commented on this thread, but I've got another few things to add, back in 2011 as part of his testimonial year there was an Evening With Gerry Gow at the Hand Arena in Clevedon. During the evening he revealed two things that only added to his greatness, the first being that in the summer of 1976 his boyhood club Celtic came in for him, but he was so happy here he turned them down. The second was that when he did leave to join Man City, he was due £25k of the fee which he waivered as he knew the club was in such dire straights financially. I'm pleased to say that the generosity of City fans during his testimonial year meant that he recouped the £25k.

1 minute ago, BS15_RED said:

I know I've already commented on this thread, but I've got another few things to add, back in 2011 as part of his testimonial year there was an Evening With Gerry Gow at the Hand Arena in Clevedon. During the evening he revealed two things that only added to his greatness, the first being that in the summer of 1976 his boyhood club Celtic came in for him, but he was so happy here he turned them down. The second was that when he did leave to join Man City, he was due £25k of the fee which he waivered as he knew the club was in such dire straights financially. I'm pleased to say that the generosity of City fans during his testimonial year meant that he recouped the £25k.

That's good to hear. Just reminded me as well that contrary to my earlier post I have seen Gerry play: in that testimonial game.

Gerry epitomised all that was good about football.

A courageous and loyal servant who deserved much wider acclaim and recognition.

He always played his heart out for the club and roused the terraces with his energy, tenacity and fearlessness.

If Norman Hunter bit one leg, Gerry bit the other.

Definitely, someone you'd want in your side rather than playing against you.

I salute you, sir.

Thanks for the many wonderful memories.

37 minutes ago, Olé said:

Didn't have the privilege of seeing him play, and always hit and miss relying on photos, so apologies if I've not captured him as people remember.

A little 2 hour knock up / work-in-progress - done from scratch so no copyright issues. Happy to make adjustments as others suggest or see fit.

GerryGow-SouthBristol-Mockup1-OTIB.png

Great work. lets get something produced.

A Player such as Gerry Gow has but one humble epitaph for me:-

"If you can remember me, I will be with you always" (Isabel Allende).

Nobody who saw this man play football can ever forget Gerry Gow and, for those less fortunate, the same will likely be the case.

Now let us go and win promotion in his honour and for the rest of that fabulous team of 1976.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

A Player such as Gerry Gow has but one humble epitaph for me:-

"If you can remember me, I will be with you always" (Isabel Allende).

Nobody who saw this man play football can ever forget Gerry Gow and, for those less fortunate, the same will likely be the case.

Now let us go and win promotion in his honour and for the rest of that fabulous team of 1976.

Amen Fellow Red.

Just read through all the comments, so many so fitting.

Gerry Gow was, and probably will remain, simply the most complete midfield player we have ever had. Superb tackler, good passer, box-to-box energy and he could shoot. Always gave 110%, an inspiration to those around him. His song "He's here, he's there, he's every f...ing where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow" epitomised how much the fans thought of him. A true legend.

Truly hope there is a minutes applause for him at next home, perhaps after 4 mins, to match his shirt number... would be great to see Man City fans honour him in same way too, as although he only played 36 games for them his all action displays earned him cult hero status there too.

RIP Gerry Gow.

1 hour ago, BradtheMiller said:

Sorry to impose, Rotherham fan here, thought you'd like to hear some thoughts of Gerry when he played for us........

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-rip-gerry-gow-the-millers-hardman-who-could-really-play-1-8172906

Sadly died of cancer aged 64.
Older fans will remember Gow as an old fashioned combative midfielder who played for Man City v Spurs in the 1981 Cup final & replay. He also played with distinction for Bristol City & my club Rotherham, before a brief spell at Burnley. He also had a spell as Yeovil's manager.
I remember his time at Millmoor with affection. We were third bottom of what is now the Championship (no change there then) when we played Derby at home at the beginning of February 1982 when Gerry made his debut. Gerry then proceeded to get sent off within 5 minutes & almost immediately we went a goal down. Against the odds, the siege mentality under the management of Emlyn Hughes kicked in & we won the game 2-1. What followed was a Football League record of the most consecutive League wins in one Calendar month (NINE) with Gerry (after suspension) playing a full part.
Gerry was known for his tough tackling & ball winning attributes, but he had a good range of passing with a right foot shot like a hammer. A sad day.

Thanks Brad for the good article - hope you don't mind but, for those who havnt read the article , this story / extract made me chuckle on a very sad day

'Neil Redfearn was a callow youth making his professional debut at Millmoor and he was terrified. The reason? Gerry Gow. Redfearn, who would go on to play more than a 1,000 games in an illustrious and eventually manage the Millers, was just a teenager when he made his bow for Bolton Wanderers.

Facing him in Rotherham’s team that February 19 1983 day in the old English Division Two (the equivalent of today’s Championship) was Gow who earlier today sadly lost his battle against lung cancer at the age of 64. Gow was a cult figure with the Millers. And a genuine hardman. Redfearn recalled: “I was a 17-year-old at Millmoor. I think Emlyn Hughes was player-manager. Ronnie Moore played and Tony Towner. “I played against Gerry Gow in midfield. A baptism of fire? Just a bit! He said he was going to break my legs. “I was only 17. I remember playing in midfield with Tony Henry and saying: ‘He says he’s going to break my legs.’ “Tony said: ‘Ah, take no notice of him. He doesn’t mean it.’”

Redfearn shudders as he remembers what happened next

.Gow  sidled over to him and whispered in his young ear: “I ****ing mean it.” 

Gerry - bless you - an absolute footballing god

Strange day today here in la belle Francais. Woke up to this terrible news that the king of the gate had sadly passed, the weather was just stunning for the time of year and out of the blue my old local French cider makers turned up for the first time in 3 years to clear my orchard and left me a crate of their wares as payment.

if this was down to you Mr Gow may god bless you and I will certainly be holding a glass up to you tonight and just remembering some of the best moments that I ever enjoyed at the gate in over 57 years, you were simply the best IMHO.

RIP once more Gerry, Gerry Gow and thanks for the memories.

Peace after pain.

Just got home from work to find out this terrible news. Absolutely gutted right now. As many people have said Gerry Gow was a real legend, he played in one of the best teams that i am likely to ever see at the gate.

My condolences go out to his family and friends. RIP Gerry Gow. 

47 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Mr Gow may god bless you and I will certainly be holding a glass up to you tonight and just remembering some of the best moments that I ever enjoyed at the gate in over 57 years, you were simply the best IMHO. RIP once more Gerry, Gerry Gow and thanks for the memories.

Three abiding memories of Gerry;

1. The year City's youth team reached the semi final of the Youth Cup. Gerry was by far the best City player and better than many of the Spurs side that night. Amongst them was Barry Daines, Phil Holder, Graeme Souness and Steve Perryman.

2. When Bobby Kellard left City, Gerry stepped straight into his boots and IMHO, improved the team.

3. 1974 after the Cup win at Hereford the draw for the next round was made at 5.00pm. When City v Leeds came out someone said to Gerry "That means you'll be marking Billy Bremner". His reply? "Well I'm a Scot aren't I and I'm as good as him aren't I"? That's when I knew City would win that tie and Gow had Bremner in his pocket throughout both games.

Thanks for all you did for City Gerry; RIP.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

1. The year City's youth team reached the semi final of the Youth Cup. Gerry was by far the best City player and better than many of the Spurs side that night. Amongst them was Barry Daines, Phil Holder, Graeme Souness and Steve Perryman.

2. When Bobby Kellard left City, Gerry stepped straight into his boots and IMHO, improved the team.

3. 1974 after the Cup win at Hereford the draw for the next round was made at 5.00pm. When City v Leeds came out someone said to Gerry "That means you'll be marking Billy Bremner". His reply? "Well I'm a Scot aren't I and I'm as good as him aren't I"? That's when I knew City would win that tie and Gow had Bremner in his pocket throughout both games.

Mine will always be an early season home game when the horrible Bobby Gould played for us, i'm sorry but I just never took to him, City conceded a goal and on the way back to restart the game Gould made the mistake of aiming a remark at Gerry Gow and Gerry chinned him, they had to be parted and I believe that was the beginning of the end of Gould at BCFC, the crowd really turned on Gould that day and Gerry became an even bigger hero.

This is a great piece and gives a great insight into why Gerry made so few international appearances.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/fans-hail-gow-fearless-tackles-goals-boot/story-16609528-detail/story.html

i'm pretty sure Bruce Rioch described Gerry Gow as the hardest and most difficult player he ever played against, he said something like "he was just always there, you couldn't shake him off" and John Bond as Man City manager once said in a TV interview "Gerry Gow is a little bugger, but he's my little bugger".

I still can't believe it.

An alternative version simplified a little for t-shirt. Needs a little more work to reduce the number of colours to be cost-effective (and to incorporate any feedback and suggestions, bearing in mind I never saw this guy play). If no one else is doing anything happy to work with @Sargent Pepper to get some produced, else happy to defer if people here or up the Three Lions have anything underway already using one of the prior flag designs.

GerryGow-SouthBristol-Mockup2-OTIB.png

34 minutes ago, 22A said:

I first saw Gow play for City when I began supporting City back in 1976. The first thought I had actually about him was how similar he was to Billy Bremner. A much better passer of the ball, but the same tenacity in the tackle, and fierce energy.

Some nice comments on gas chat, but I have to pick them up on very important point, their comparison to Frankie Prince and being a hard man.

i'm sorry to burst your collective bubbles but Frankie Prince was never a hard man, to be a hard man you have to do it face to face and only Gerry out of the 2 of them ever did that, Prince would always take his revenge from behind when there was no danger of him being hurt, not even in the same league as Gerry Gow it's a preposterous comparison.

My mate was an apprentice at the gas at the same time as Prince and confirms this view.

I had today of work to attend a funeral and the first thing I did when I got home was go to my favourite forum, and this was the first post. Some times those memories, moments, snap shots of time and emotions get separated from the actual person who created them, until you hear news like this. The news fires up those memories and synapses and you realise how big a impact one person has had in lot's of little ways. Thank you for those memories and times Gerry, we will have a toast to you tonight :drunk2:

I used to go to Ashton & Eastville on alternate weeks (always supported whoever City were playing of course) so saw Gerry Gow play an awful lot. A friend of mine came across him in a working capacity a few years back, and it's fair to say , he had fallen on hard times. If he had been playing in this day and age, he would have been a multi millionaire (and he would have been worth the money).

My sympathies to his family and friends and those upset by today's news.  I never saw him play against rovers, fractionally before my time.  But I have a strange recollection of always getting him in those cards you got with fake cigarettes, and having to keep swapping!   Some Interesting memories in the link below.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/8325/gerry-gow

Archived