IGNORED

Travel to Cardiff / Where to park? (Merged)

Never to the dark side

19 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

They are not card only.They are manned and take cash but have the option  of card payment which is pretty quick.

They change the booths around depending on time of day, often there are many card only unmanned ones.  Sometimes these take cash via buckets, sometimes they read TAGs, sometimes they don't.

Read the signs, choose the right lane.  It's simple.

If you don't have a TAG use a card only one for contactless, the queue will move four or five times as quick.

Watch when you're slowing down for the toll booths as well, it goes from motorway speed to a lower speed (think it's 40 or 50, check the signs) because they'll often stick a mobile speed camera van up on the bridge.

Definitely didn't get caught there myself speeding, no I definitely didn't :ph34r:

There is a reason why you pay to get into Wales. 

Years ago it was both ways, with queues so they decided to charge one way and only have one queue. 

The reason to pay to go into Wales was if the tolls was to get into England the queuing traffic would then back up onto the old bridge putting extra weight load onto it. To put them going into England then the queuing traffic are then on land so no issue with weight. 

Also another great fact about the bridge, my old man tested the concrete going onto the approach road structures of the old bridge, I tested the new bridge. 

And I bet you read this comment, thinking it was full of useful information. 

There you go, every days a school day :) 

• Admin
14 hours ago, Natchlander said:

Hoping to leave Weston at 4pm. Is it bad at the bridge around that time?

Last season, admitedly we went there on a Monday night, we left WSM at 5 and were in the car park at the ground by 7

14 hours ago, archie andrews said:

game will be over by time you get through the bridge leaving sunny Weston at 4 ......

12 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Your gonna hit the bridge at peak rush hour time on a Friday. Think you will arrive at the stadium at 7-7:30.

Will it REALLY take 3 hours from WSM?

CATS are leaving at 4:30pm, 4pm from WSM should be ok?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Last season, admitedly we went there on a Monday night, we left WSM at 5 and were in the car park at the ground by 7

Will it REALLY take 3 hours from WSM?

CATS are leaving at 4:30pm, 4pm from WSM should be ok?

I recently left Bristol at half 3 on a Friday and got to Cardiff at half 5. The tolls and Newport are a bloody nightmare. For all I know it could be a simple journey on Friday but think it's wise to warn people of my experiences so they can plan accordingly.

4 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Years ago it was both ways, with queues so they decided to charge one way and only have one queue. 

The reason to pay to go into Wales was if the tolls was to get into England the queuing traffic would then back up onto the old bridge putting extra weight load onto it. To put them going into England then the queuing traffic are then on land so no issue with weight. 

Also another great fact about the bridge, my old man tested the concrete going onto the approach road structures of the old bridge, I tested the new bridge. 

Haha.  I bet Christmases round yours are always a hoot what with all the bridge anecdotes. :P

As someone who lives in the Forest of Dean and regularly commutes over the Severn Bridges (old one mainly but new one when they flippin' well shut the old one, on a Saturday, without telling me), I'm amazed how many people on here don't know what they are talking about with respect to the tolls.

I'm beginning to reassess whether this forum really knows that Bobby Reid is a good player.  Or they've just made it up. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Chivs said:

As someone who lives in the Forest of Dean and regularly commutes over the Severn Bridges (old one mainly but new one when they flippin' well shut the old one, on a Saturday, without telling me), I'm amazed how many people on here don't know what they are talking about with respect to the tolls.

I'm beginning to reassess whether this forum really knows that Bobby Reid is a good player.  Or they've just made it up. 

Please correct the mistakes @Chivs

4 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Surely the simple solution there would have been to have had toll booths on the eastbound carriageway BEFORE the bridge?  Or were there reasons that could not be done?

23 hours ago, Revitalised Red said:

Rather than use the "new" M4 Severn bridge why not use the old (M48) Severn bridge.  It may add a few miles to the trip over to Cardiff but the queues are normally a lot less.

If you're planning to access the M48 bridge via Avonmouth, check A403 for road closures.

If there are closures, you can access the bridge via Pilning or Olveston - the latter being the best option queue wise. Alternatively, you risk accessing the bridge from the M48, but queues are often long! Good luck.

On 11/10/2016 at 13:09, Revitalised Red said:

Rather than use the "new" M4 Severn bridge why not use the old (M48) Severn bridge.  It may add a few miles to the trip over to Cardiff but the queues are normally a lot less.

I spoke to a couple of guys at work today who live in Chepstow.  They said that because of the  railway tunnel closure the toll queues are currently just as bad for the old bridge as the new. 

• Admin
8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Parked in the ground last year for £8 and was out within 5 minutes of getting in car

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

And put all valuables out of sight.

The away fans car park is in a seperate area - fenced off from the locals

On 12/10/2016 at 10:03, Tomarse said:

Could always drive to Chepstow, train to Cardiff. However there is only one train back at 23.20!

Free parking in Chepstow train station as well. Sometimes if you're lucky they don't check tickets so when you get to Cardiff say you came from Newport. Not that I've ever done it mind ;) 

On 12/10/2016 at 12:36, ChippenhamRed said:

Surely the simple solution there would have been to have had toll booths on the eastbound carriageway BEFORE the bridge?  Or were there reasons that could not be done?

Probably because they were always on the English side by aust both ways already. With the junction coming off at Chepstow possibly no room to fit them in on the Welsh side. 

Archived