IGNORED

I Cotterill

Between heaven and hell

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Jesus what hyperbole :clapping:

What exactly do you mean by the bolded bit? I have genuinely no idea how Cotts ripped out the heart of this club. He was hardly Tony Pulis ffs.

No forethought to the future? Presumably that's except for the signings of Luke Freeman (22 at the time), Korey Smith (23), Luke Ayling (22) and Kieron Agard (24), and giving a 20-year-old Joe Bryan 40-odd appearances?

I can't comment on the rest of the bits and pieces, I know nothing of what went on behind the scenes, but I'd be incredibly intrigued to know. Regardless, I still think the two points above which I've responded to were unfair and inaccurate on your part.

I'm not on about the signing of players in the first team. See below.

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Out of interest, who has said it is ok for Millen to be abused?

What has Millen got to do with whether you want to abuse Cotterill?

Irrespective of Cotterill's fantastic achievements while he was here, why would you feel the need to continually criticise a man who is no longer at the club?

Most managers depart after an unsuccessful period.

Let's start on Alan Dicks and Terry Cooper next.

Nick...no one is abusing SC for what he achieved. It's the way he went about doing it. He did it at a cost to the sustainable future of how the club wanted to run....and still do.

Why do you think he brought in two coach's that were 'mates' into the Academy set up?

Why do you think Pelling left?

Why do you think Carlos Anton left and BT went very much into the background?

Why were a great majority of the Academy kids wanting to leave?

Why were members of the board arguing?

Why was Burt let go? Why did he not bring in players that he was notified of, that have gone on to bigger and better things, but chose to stick with 'people' he liked to work with regardless of the player recommended?

The Scout ( I forget his name ), that was connected to Forest, he found JK.

Why did all the agreements for players to come here...pre contract, fall through. Then our financial Director choose to leave?

Why did our board back him financially on massive bids for players, yet none of them wanted to come here? None of them.

I could go on...but it's pointless...because some people just want to see the Double season, as a great achievement, regardless of what was going on behind the headlines.

This thread is kind of sad - but, unfortunately, says so much about Steve Cotterill the man.

As a supporter base, for all our faults, I actually like to think we're pretty patient with our managers and generally build a decent rapport with and respect for them - Keith Millen and Derek McInnes, for example, were actually both fairly well liked and would receive decent receptions on return, we just acknowledge they weren't up to the job.

It speaks volumes that a man who delivered our most successful season in a lifetime, by contrast, was just never really loved by us. I said many times, even when he was with us, I found him difficult to really like and connect with, even having met him a few times.

He came in and delivered a fabulous 12 months, but he never felt like the long-term man for Bristol City, and so it proved. The best way I can sum it up is that I really respect him for the job he did for us, but I don't particularly like him.

One thing that I hope we can all agree on - we're much better off with Lee, the manager and the person, and we should celebrate that.

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

This thread is kind of sad - but, unfortunately, says so much about Steve Cotterill the man.

As a supporter base, for all our faults, I actually like to think we're pretty patient with our managers and generally build a decent rapport with and respect for them - Keith Millen and Derek McInnes, for example, were actually both fairly well liked and would receive decent receptions on return, we just acknowledge they weren't up to the job.

It speaks volumes that a man who delivered our most successful season in a lifetime, by contrast, was just never really loved by us. I said many times, even when he was with us, I found him difficult to really like and connect with, even having met him a few times.

He came in and delivered a fabulous 12 months, but he never felt like the long-term man for Bristol City, and so it proved. The best way I can sum it up is that I really respect him for the job he did for us, but I don't particularly like him.

One thing that I hope we can all agree on - we're much better off with Lee, the manager and the person, and we should celebrate that.

Disagree, I love Steve cotterill, and am devastated it didn't work out for him last season, all his own fault of course, nothing to do with the board that didn't trust him.

15 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Disagree, I love Steve cotterill, and am devastated it didn't work out for him last season, all his own fault of course, nothing to do with the board that didn't trust him.

You might want to ask yourself why, after giving him a hefty budget to work with the previous summer and delivering promotion, the board suddenly didn't trust SC...or Burt for that matter.

SL is generally a pretty reasonable, forgiving bloke ya know...

46 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Out of interest, who has said it is ok for Millen to be abused?

What has Millen got to do with whether you want to abuse Cotterill?

Irrespective of Cotterill's fantastic achievements while he was here, why would you feel the need to continually criticise a man who is no longer at the club?

Most managers depart after an unsuccessful period.

Let's start on Alan Dicks and Terry Cooper next.

Well you and others seem to still criticise SOD/McInnes/Millen and so on, they all departed ages ago. Those 3 managers may have not been upto the job but they did build some kind of foundations for Cotterill to build on but you refuse to recognise this

Its quite simple, I see enough criticism or more so abuse of those said managers yet Cotterill was absolute garbage last season, he isn't exempt from criticism in the way he handled the transfer fiasco, he inflamed it by refusing to play loanees, rigid tactics, bizarre post match interviews, not so hidden jibes at the board. If he felt let down by the board then he should have quit in the summer and allow the board to bear the brunt of the fans hostility, he didn't. I know you have this blind spot, this love for Cotterill... maybe you're friends, tbh I dont care but his Championship record spoke for itself, if you believe that SOD was taken us down in November then I believe that we were dead certs to go down in January last season, plenty of evidence would point to an imminent relegation.

Cotterill gave us 2 trophies and an amazing season I will never forget.

Who know's the whole story of that summer debacle after. Two sides to every story and all that.

But if he was being denied player transfers then why shouldn't he feel aggrieved? Especially when he witnessed us sign so many players the season after.

Slating the guy that gave us a phenomenal season topped off with an amazing day at wembley is harsh imo.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Cotterill gave us 2 trophies and an amazing season I will never forget.

Who know's the whole story of that summer debacle after. Two sides to every story and all that.

But if he was being denied player transfers then why shouldn't he feel aggrieved? Especially when he witnessed us sign so many players the season after.

Slating the guy that gave us a phenomenal season topped off with an amazing day at wembley is harsh imo.

As said in my above post, if he felt aggrieved or let down then why not walk instead of what he did?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I'm not on about the signing of players in the first team. See below.

Nick...no one is abusing SC for what he achieved. It's the way he went about doing it. He did it at a cost to the sustainable future of how the club wanted to run....and still do.

Why do you think he brought in two coach's that were 'mates' into the Academy set up?

Why do you think Pelling left?

Why do you think Carlos Anton left and BT went very much into the background?

Why were a great majority of the Academy kids wanting to leave?

Why were members of the board arguing?

Why was Burt let go? Why did he not bring in players that he was notified of, that have gone on to bigger and better things, but chose to stick with 'people' he liked to work with regardless of the player recommended?

The Scout ( I forget his name ), that was connected to Forest, he found JK.

Why did all the agreements for players to come here...pre contract, fall through. Then our financial Director choose to leave?

Why did our board back him financially on massive bids for players, yet none of them wanted to come here? None of them.

I could go on...but it's pointless...because some people just want to see the Double season, as a great achievement, regardless of what was going on behind the headlines.

Great post that mate

I didn't see the handshake incident so can't comment.

mt take on SC is a bit like this thread: mixed. Respect for the promotion season and the style we did it in, but could never really take to him and last season was just a disaster.

However, the start of this thread was about his constantly talking about himself last night, and that does seem to be typical of his 'all about me' attitude which was part of his problem. And I love the thread title, best one of the year!!

21 hours ago, spudski said:

Imagine it like this...

You are given a race car that is to last a year...you agree to race it, and run it in a responsible manner, to last the year. Along the way, you can upgrade parts, depending on budget, and whether they will last, and be in agreement with everyone in that Race team.

You then decide to take some of those elements out of the equation...put in parts, that will win you a race and give you glory, but there is a good chance those parts won't last the rest of the year.

You win your race...by a country mile...you take all the glory and praise. You demand more...and now want to do it your way, not the 'teams' way. Meanwhile in the background, there are a bunch of broken parts all over the garage floor, and a bunch of mechanics scratching their head as to how they are going to move forward and continue that success. They are treading on eggshells as they have been given a long term plan that is sustainable, but have a driver that is doing it his way, and making demands that aren't sustainable for the long term health of the car. Throwing his toys out of the pram and making unreasonable demands.

The whole club has become hostile...not all pulling in the same direction. Some for him...some against him. You the driver...then bring in some of 'your men' to make sure things are moving how you want. It causes even more hostility. People afraid to talk...people afraid to do their jobs as to the blueprint, in fear of getting replaced by another of 'his men'.

Eventually...that glory and one off achievement, is all undone because everything that got you that achievement is now broken.

So are you a winner and Legend...or complete asshole?

You seem to be turning into a parody of the man himself Spudski.  Let it go bud.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I see little value in this thread . SC delivered what he needed to in spades . SOD destroyed any hope or moral in the club and was a total disaster despite talking a good game, and was as divisive offthr field as SC . SC was not the man to take a club medium term anywhere , but he did what many failed before at , and got us out of L1 extra quick . At a cost , but that cost was known . I never liked him , but some did , players included . He stayed too long but equally was working with people off the field inferior to whom LJ has had to . That he was the devil reincarnatied is ridiculous . It is like Warnock . He does what he does . It all depends where you are . What you need. For me it ends there . Football is about results . SC delivered , made money on his transfers got promotion . 

Much better to focus on the future . SC has gone .

lets hope LJ can gain his first promotion 

Then would have got us relegated back to where we were thanks to his petulance and arrogance.

You're right we should move on but I could n't help but cringe a bit when I saw the Gelled Ego next to our LJ on telly .

2 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

You seem to be turning into a parody of the man himself Spudski.  Let it go bud.

Maybe it's because the topic of SC keeps coming up, and the same old people keep posting how great it was under him, purely by looking at results, rather than the bigger picture. If he had achieved everything he did in the way he agreed to at the start of his tenure, and not become 'bigger' than club, then maybe it would have been be a different matter.

It's a bit like having Sun and Times readers.

The former just see the 'headlines' and make up their own theories...then others try to educate themselves to find out the real story.

I wouldn't be so forthright on the topic, if I knew it wasn't true.

What's better...trying to educate, or let the bullshit keep appearing that everything was great under him.

Maybe you should be having a go at the people who keep saying how great it was...or are you one of them? Please don't tell me you read the Sun...I had you down as being more astute than that ;-) Tongue firmly in cheek ;-)

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Maybe it's because the topic of SC keeps coming up, and the same old people keep posting how great it was under him, purely by looking at results, rather than the bigger picture. If he had achieved everything he did in the way he agreed to at the start of his tenure, and not become 'bigger' than club, then maybe it would have been be a different matter.

It's a bit like having Sun and Times readers.

The former just see the 'headlines' and make up their own theories...then others try to educate themselves to find out the real story.

I wouldn't be so forthright on the topic, if I knew it wasn't true.

What's better...trying to educate, or let the bullshit keep appearing that everything was great under him.

Maybe you should be having a go at the people who keep saying how great it was...or are you one of them? Please don't tell me you read the Sun...I had you down as being more astute than that ;-) Tongue firmly in cheek ;-)

Is this your final, final, final word on the matter? 

:rofl2br:

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Then would have got us relegated back to where we were thanks to his petulance and arrogance.

You're right we should move on but I could n't help but cringe a bit when I saw the Gelled Ego next to our LJ on telly .

The shoes were the coup' de grace and interestingly more than once he looked down at them probably thinking why did i wear these tonight.

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Was almost a perfect bristolcity manager, if he only could have managed his hubristicity .... but at least he wasn't too prowed to provide us with an excellent promotion season and we can take great pride in that, I'm sure he does. :) 

(umm, guess who learned a new word and meaning today:whistle:

Nice to see you are attempting to expand your articulation WH.A truly worthwhile way of utilizing your Sabbath.Perchance next Sunday your lesson of the day could focus on the noble art of punctuation.

P.S.What was the new word?

24 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Nice to see you are attempting to expand your articulation WH.A truly worthwhile way of utilizing your Sabbath.Perchance next Sunday your lesson of the day could focus on the noble art of punctuation.

I'm reckoning something straight outta trumpton

Swallowed a gas dictionary 

34 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Whoops, I was so eager to use the hubristicity word I guess punctuation went out of the window. My dear Mr Slacker please accept my profuse apologies for slacking so poorly on this occasion. :) 

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

:):whistle:You may have come up a little short on the punctuation front WH,but you have more than redeemed yourself on the slacking front,which of course in my humble opinion, is infinetly more important.Slacker's of the wold unite.You have nothing to lose,except your apathy!

22 minutes ago, TRL said:

I'm reckoning something straight outta trumpton

Swallowed a gas dictionary 

Much too prowed for that TRL, not too proud to admit I heard the word hubris, and its meaning, for the first time on TV today. Drew an obvious connection between Cotts and his oft perceived hubristicity, that's all. :smartass: 

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:
2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

:):whistle:You may have come up a little short on the punctuation front WH,but you have more than redeemed yourself on the slacking front,which of course in my humble opinion, is infinetly more important.Slacker's of the wold unite.You have nothing to lose,except your apathy!

Yeah yeah, wotever.. m8  :) 

Archived