IGNORED

QPR on Tuesday

JasonM88

Exactly oh supreme leader.  It amazes me how much time and trouble some people take on this forum to knock others' views and opinions.  While some may not have used Jason's exact choice of words, if he thinks some players and the team were 'below their best', why is that any less valid?  

With regards to the impact on our preparation, team selection for the next game and tactics nobody's opinion on here matters one iota in terms of impacting changes.  With regards to this forum, everyone's opinion matters and everyone is equally entitled to state it, no?  What's the point of a forum otherwise.  Why do some elect themselves to snobbishly dismiss others?  It wasn't as if this post in question was a personal attack or an opposition fan fishing.  And anybody could see last night that however well Colin set his team up, and however predictably frustrating it was to watch, we were pretty shit.  IMVOHO of course.

2 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Fielding

Matthews Flint Magnusson Golbourne

O'Neil

Paterson Tomlin Reid Bryan

Abraham

How does that look?

Golbourne deserves a go at Left back in my eyes, he's been patient behind Bryan who didn't have the best of games yesterday. Hopefully Matthews is fit as when he was last season was very effective. Swap Pack for Reid so we have another sharp agile type in the final third causing problems. Keep Bryan, give him a go further forward, if played further forward got a feeling he might get a goal Tuesday. Hopefully Tammy is fit to start, had a tough time against Bamba and went down momentarily about 65 mins, perhaps tired, would be his 3rd game in a week too, but if fit and firing give him a start.

COYR :) 

Fielding

Matthews Flint Magnusson Golbourne

O'Neil

Smith/Pack   Reid     Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham

another option? agree with Bryan further forward, he's not looked great defending lately but that ball Bobby put over the bar was excellent .This formation may lack a little natural width, but should fix the gaps between MF and Tammy

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

But it didn't occur to you to ask yourself why (in your view) everyone was shit?

No credit to the oppositions tactics and formation?

No not really. The tactics and formation Warcock  went with were as predictable as the tides coming in and out . There was nothing that surprised me.

Mark Little is terrible and without doubt, our biggest weak link.  He is slow and just never looks fit.

Aside the two centre halves....everyone else was terrible. And even those two were shaky at times 

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

No not really. The tactics and formation Warcock  went with were as predictable as the tides coming in and out . There was nothing that surprised me.

Mark Little is terrible and without doubt, our biggest weak link.  He is slow and just never looks fit.

Aside the two centre halves....everyone else was terrible. And even those two were shaky at times 

Bit harsh on ML last night IMO. Defensively I thought he was fine, Hoillet was having a good game and Mark looked after him well. If you look at the interaction between them late on when ML tackled him down by the corner flag they both helped each other up with one of those smiles from JH that said `we`ve had a good battle tonight`.

Attacking wise, I have to agree though.

Based on his total lack of contribution so far this season this Matthews love in is a bit bizarre.

Seeing as he didn't even make the bench on Friday, I wouldn't put my mortgage on him starting on Tuesday, either.

As for yesterday both of our flank midfielders (Freeman and Paterson) were pretty poor, Tammy may have been unwell but he was also well of the pace and neither full back was at the top of their game.

I would expect there to be 2 or 3 changes at QPR, where O'Dowda, Reid and possibly Golbourne may all get a chance.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

But it didn't occur to you to ask yourself why (in your view) everyone was shit?

No credit to the oppositions tactics and formation?

Exactly Robbored!    NW set his game plan up to stop us playing and he succeeded, we tried to outwit him, but unfortunately we didn't do enough and couldn't find a way through.  Very much like the Rotherham game last season.

With Cardiff setting up defensively in a 4-1-4-1 formation it was crying out for our full backs to give us width.

Sadly as has been stated numerous times in this forum Mark Little just isn't up to Champs level. I've never seen a pro footballer so uncomfortable in possession. Joe Bryan is a class act but he had a rare off night. He still laid on a great cross for Bobbie R late on which wound have salvaged a point.

Luke F was peripheral once again and I'm losing patience with him now. Don't forget he's still never scored for City at Ashton Gate. The song sung by City fans 'Freemans on Fire' winds me up. It's the biggest joke ever. 

3 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

He looks a decent player. Going to struggle to get a regular starting place though. 

I was at the game against Granada (the best team we will play this season cups apart)

I know it was pre season we were outplayed but the lad had a good game put himself about .

Anyway with what we have now with so many young players next season we can only improve.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Based on his total lack of contribution so far this season this Matthews love in is a bit bizarre.

Seeing as he didn't even make the bench on Friday, I wouldn't put my mortgage on him starting on Tuesday, either.

As for yesterday both of our flank midfielders (Freeman and Paterson) were pretty poor, Tammy may have been unwell but he was also well of the pace and neither full back was at the top of their game.

I would expect there to be 2 or 3 changes at QPR, where O'Dowda, Reid and possibly Golbourne may all get a chance.

I think most calling out for Matthews remember the last 10 or so games of last year. He was a top RB and he's got it in him to be this year. He brings the best of defence and attack with good crossing ability. 

3 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Struggling to figure out if I can still get a ticket for this- went online this morning and only option is collect (which is 48 hours after purchase)....from  qpr ground or city? Will be in London from early tue morning. Confused.com. Any suggestions?

For the Fulham games, I chose collect and the tickets were brought down on the fan coach and available from the ticket collection point outside the ground.  You might want to check but I assume the same applies to all games.  It worked smoothly for me in any case. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

For the Fulham games, I chose collect and the tickets were brought down on the fan coach and available from the ticket collection point outside the ground.  You might want to check but I assume the same applies to all games.  It worked smoothly for me in any case. 

Ok nice one cheers. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can do that.

Having watched QPR v Reading yesterday, my feeling is QPR are poor in possession and light in central midfield so I think I'd go for players who can control possession.  For me that means there's a strong case for Bobby and Pack.  In fact I might argue going with the team that won 4-0 at Fulham and leaving O'Neill on the bench.

That said, LJ gets it right more often than he gets it wrong and I looked at the Fulham game line-up and wondered what he was doing and I completely got that wrong.  So his call, really...

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Having watched QPR v Reading yesterday, my feeling is QPR are poor in possession and light in central midfield so I think I'd go for players who can control possession.  For me that means there's a strong case for Bobby and Pack.  In fact I might argue going with the team that won 4-0 at Fulham and leaving O'Neill on the bench.

That said, LJ gets it right more often than he gets it wrong and I looked at the Fulham game line-up and wondered what he was doing and I completely got that wrong.  So his call, really...

Aren't Bobby & Pack just about our two most wasteful players, in terms of possession? (I have no idea what stats might say)

Also, wasn't Fulham one of the few games that we haven't dominated possession, despite the score line..? 

To control possession we need GON. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Aren't Bobby & Pack just about our two most wasteful players, in terms of possession? (I have no idea what stats might say)

Also, wasn't Fulham one of the few games that we haven't dominated possession, despite the score line..? 

You're seriously trying to tell me Pack is wasteful in possession. The bloke doesn't lose the ball when he has it as his feet.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As I said in my post, I've got plenty of previous of making completely the wrong calls on who should be selected so you may have a point!

My impression has always been that Pack retains possession well, though I may be wrong on that.  Reid is a slightly different case and I explained myself badly.  I don't think he's as good at retaining possession but he does give us a spark and take risks and that may be useful against a weak midfield and well-organised defence...

6 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

You're seriously trying to tell me Pack is wasteful in possession. The bloke doesn't lose the ball when he has it as his feet.

Yes! He usually kicks a misplaced 50 yard pass out of play..!

Pack's strength is in the air, I'd say. Not keeping possession. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

As I said in my post, I've got plenty of previous of making completely the wrong calls on who should be selected so you may have a point!

My impression has always been that Pack retains possession well, though I may be wrong on that.  Reid is a slightly different case and I explained myself badly.  I don't think he's as good at retaining possession but he does give us a spark and take risks and that may be useful against a weak midfield and well-organised defence...

I agree (when on form) that Reid gives us a creative edge. 

I like Pack & Reid, don't get me wrong. 

I just wouldn't select them as the pairing to dominate possession in midfield. Especially in place of GON. 

The other thing I noticed yesterday that I forgot to mention is QPR are dangerous from set pieces but also over-commit players forward for them. When set pieces go wrong players like Freeman, O'Dowda, Paterson, Reid or Abraham have a real chance to break quickly. They really didn't seem to respond well to pace on the flanks in particular. If McCleary for Reading had timed his runs better (he kept being offside) and had a bit more of an end product, Reading could have had 2 or 3 more goals.

Archived