IGNORED

Gary Sprake

Corsham Ed

9 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

Yes my first thoughts when first hearing the news   but didn't think appropriate  to mention that  right hook    RIP

I was also at that game, they certainly didn't take any prisoners that day.

But that was a game of football, RIP young man

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Very sad. I saw him sent off for hitting Chris Garland when they beat us at Elland Road in the FA Cup.  Too young to die.

Was that the game where, unbelievably, the City players pleaded with the Ref not send him off?

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

Was that the game where, unbelievably, the City players pleaded with the Ref not send him off?

I don't know as I wasn't there. But in an FA Cup tie at Spurs in about 1967/8, John Quigley pleaded successfully for Dave Mackay not to be sent off for a horrible foul. They was 'ard as nails in them days!

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry to hear that, not good news

. Bit of a James type keeper, always had a mistake in him. Saw him get sent off at Leeds for decking Chris Garland in 68, 5th round of the cup.

Quite right, there is an amusing clip of him throwing the ball into the net.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't know as I wasn't there. But in an FA Cup tie at Spurs in about 1967/8, John Quigley pleaded successfully for Dave Mackay not to be sent off for a horrible foul. They was 'ard as nails in them days!

And probably belted him five minutes later! 

Was at the final Leeds v Chelsea when unfortunately Gary had one of those days.

Let a dribbler (from Houseman I think) squirm under his body. Leeds had outplayed Chelsea.

Sad to say his worse day was Colchester away in the cup when he came out punching thin air to concede a goal as the league winners were turned over after being 2 up.

Don't think he was the best keeper maybe have swapped him for Cashley but never for Gibson!!

Anyway sad to here he's passed away pretty young. R.I.P  Gary Sprake.

16 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Very sad. I saw him sent off for hitting Chris Garland when they beat us at Elland Road in the FA Cup.  Too young to die.

Agree very sad. Not one of the greats IMO, but a good Welsh international goalie nevertheless. 

I too was at Elland Road in '68. If I remember correctly, the 18 year old Chris Garland was trying to act as a peacemaker following a dust-up between Billy Bremner and our Jack Connor, when Sprake, mistaking Garland's intentions, raced 30 yards from his goal and, right in front of the referee, punched Garland knocking him to the ground. Peter Lorimer, who had already belted an unstoppable shot past Gibbo, went in goal. Sadly, the game was somewhat unsavoury, as Leeds targeted Johnny Quigley for some very rough treatment. As a young boy of 10, I can still remember Leeds players surrounding Quigley and spitting at him as he lay prone on the ground.

20 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

As I remember it, one of our players had been poleaxed near the halfway line, it was taking a fair while to patch him up, and the atmosphere was 'lively' on and off the pitch!

Chris Garland (just crowned pin up of the month in some magazine???) was stood on the penalty spot, minding his own business, in front of us in the huge uncovered end, and it was lively in there as well with pockets of Leeds lads having 'fun'.  Gary Sprake was on his goal line, and started laying into CG with what looked like some pretty strong verbals.  CG didn't seem too bothered, but looked at GS and said a few words back, only he will now know what, but probably went along the lines of,  botox or go forth and multiply. GS obviously took exception to this, and marched up to CG and chinned him knocking him out cold.

Ths didn't help the atmosphere on the pitch or in the stands, as it all kicked off again.

GS got sent off and Peter Lorimer (smaller than Frankie) went in goal, but we didn't get anywhere near him. 

It was a lively day on and off the pitch, and I think fair to say we got taught a lesson by the big boys. 

Back on topic, R.I.P Gary,  part of the great Leeds team.

19 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes that was the Spurs game, remember missing a twice taken penalty, and a certain Jommy Greaves scoring twice. I went on supporters coach missed first 20 mins stuck in traffic. Certainly not our day

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Bobby Gould appears to have been booked as well and, having seen him play on many occasions, I daresay he deserved it.

Yes - for being Bobby Gould :yes:

5 hours ago, 42nite said:

As I remember it, one of our players had been poleaxed near the halfway line, it was taking a fair while to patch him up, and the atmosphere was 'lively' on and off the pitch!

Chris Garland (just crowned pin up of the month in some magazine???) was stood on the penalty spot, minding his own business, in front of us in the huge uncovered end, and it was lively in there as well with pockets of Leeds lads having 'fun'.  Gary Sprake was on his goal line, and started laying into CG with what looked like some pretty strong verbals.  CG didn't seem too bothered, but looked at GS and said a few words back, only he will now know what, but probably went along the lines of,  botox or go forth and multiply. GS obviously took exception to this, and marched up to CG and chinned him knocking him out cold.

Ths didn't help the atmosphere on the pitch or in the stands, as it all kicked off again.

GS got sent off and Peter Lorimer (smaller than Frankie) went in goal, but we didn't get anywhere near him. 

It was a lively day on and off the pitch, and I think fair to say we got taught a lesson by the big boys. 

Back on topic, R.I.P Gary,  part of the great Leeds team.

If I remember correctly, Garland was accused of spitting.

Archived