IGNORED

Tony Collins

Atyeo's lift

Fascinating article today in the Telegraph featuring Tony Collins who was City's chief scout under Alan Dicks, and then moved on to Leeds under Revie. He was regarded as Revie's "super spy" and whilst at City (1968-72?) was responsible for bringing Gerry Gow, amongst others to Ashton Gate:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/20/the-pioneer-black-manager-who-became-don-revies-superspy/

I may be new, but I think Tony is a short form of Anthony! It is the same chap- if in doubt, read the article. He was manager at Rochdale and then taken on by Dicks, first as scout then as Assistant Manager. He left City and moved to Leeds. Later on he moved to Man U, but was sacked by Ferguson

I was very surprised to hear that Tony Collins is of mixed race. Is that fact relevant to him as a person or football manager/scout? No.

When he was at City I, like many others, just regarded him as a very good assistant to and scout for AD. He made a significant contribution to our rise to the First Division and for that I thank him.

I hope I look that well when I get to 90!

Archived