IGNORED

Corners

old_eastender

We really need someone to take corners other than GON, as good a player as he is, for me his corners being straight looping hits without any real pace, are too easy to defend and mean that even if one of ours gets a head on them they need to generate power as well as direction.

Luke Freeman, if playing, is a much better option at least from the RHS, where he can curl in balls with some pace.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

We really need someone to take corners other than GON, as good a player as he is, for me his corners being straight looping hits without any real pace, are too easy to defend and mean that even if one of ours gets a head on them they need to generate power as well as direction.

Luke Freeman, if playing, is a much better option at least from the RHS, where he can curl in balls with some pace.

Hello Luke 

4 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Who was taking corners in our L1 title-winning season? That got us a few goals.

Who was the last decent corner taker? Jamie McAllister?

Remember he took a corner in from of the Sheffield United fans circa 2010 in the East End/Williams corner. He got so much abuse from the away fans but scored directly from the corner whereby he turned to face them  and shhhhed them beautifully. 

I mentioned how poor GON's set pieces are earlier in the season...they haven't improved.

Our set piece 'service' is appalling at this level.

It's no coincidence that Flint isn't scoring so much at set pieces imo.

Tbh...the standard of set piece delivery across football, seems to have dropped in quality across the board.

It's noticeable how many balls, don't seem to reach the intended target...be it a player or area.

Perhaps it's the actual football that's the problem....they seem great on the ground, but in the air, slightly erratic.

Freeman was just as guilty of this last season. Consistent corner taking has been a problem for us for as long as I can remember - with a few exceptions over the years - and I've never really understood why. Technique for lofting or floating a high ball was coached to most of us at quite an early age, yet so many professional players seem incapable of regularly clearing the first defender on the edge of the box. Why?

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

I mentioned how poor GON's set pieces are earlier in the season...they haven't improved.

Our set piece 'service' is appalling at this level.

It's no coincidence that Flint isn't scoring so much at set pieces imo.

Tbh...the standard of set piece delivery across football, seems to have dropped in quality across the board.

It's noticeable how many balls, don't seem to reach the intended target...be it a player or area.

Perhaps it's the actual football that's the problem....they seem great on the ground, but in the air, slightly erratic.

Agree with you 100%.We just don't seem dangerous from set pieces at all.Against QPR I think we had 11 corners and they were all dealt with easily.It seems GON now takes nearly all the free kicks as well and they all seem to be hit the same way.

It's worth looking at the stats for corners...not many goals are scored from that situation anymore.

You'd think the ball being crossed into that danger zone would create more goals...but it doesn't.

Some facts from last season that will raise a few eyebrows...

Man City had 162 corners yet only scored 2 goals all season.

Liverpool had 117 and only scored 1 goal.

Swansea had 78 and scored no goals...

In fact across the Prem, the average goals scored in a season from corners, per team, is approx. 3.

Corners really aren't worth getting excited about tbh.

I also think it's not just the delivery, we like most sided form a huddle resulting in no space for the attackers to run at or attack the ball. How many times have seen Flint for example leap above his opposite number(s). We have many att king guys in the area. Let's see some variation and movement

38 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I was about the same the exact same thing as @spudski but he beat me to it. Not sure why people get so worked up about 'wasted' corners.

As Jose Mourinho once said, the only country where the fans celebrate getting a corner is....England.

Why, when only 2% of corners result in a goal?

The stats may say that goals are rarely scored from corners but that hope that we might score, especially after sustained pressure, is all part of why we love watching live football.

Was it not Tomlin taking them latter part of last season? Surely his delivery is best option even if he is not then available for headers coming out to edge of area - this won't happen much anyway as most of ours thus far end up in the keepers hands or a stretching Flint header over the bar !!

Corners are incredibly frustrating and typically result in one of two outcomes: it doesn't clear the first man, and even if it does, ref inexexcliably gives a foul on the goalkeeper. 

I think we have to bear in mind also that in the past 5 years, with the exception of a 14 day spell earlier in the season, defenders are given absolute licence to haul any attacker down with little fear of conceding a foul. So whilst the stats make unhappy reading, I'd say referees really have stacked the odds against successful corners in allowing such huge advantages to defending teams; be it in grapling or looking for a foul on a goalkeeper. 

That said it is also noticeable how poor set piece delivery is. Players seem more content to underhit than overhit. I can understand that somewhat. A ball needs fizz nowadays or keepers will collect them or 'win' a foul. That means lofting is out of the question and means you need to get them going with speed. Therefore to beat the first man and not have it sailing out for a throw in is a much more honed skill. 

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I was about the same the exact same thing as @spudski but he beat me to it. Not sure why people get so worked up about 'wasted' corners.

As Jose Mourinho once said, the only country where the fans celebrate getting a corner is....England.

Why, when only 2% of corners result in a goal?

Completely agree

We are statically at risk of conceding when we win a corner. Danger times.

Kick offs and goal kicks is where we kick ass. Other teams be scared.

Archived