IGNORED

Atmosphere

formerly known as ivan

27 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

I watched it on a stream from Bein sports, the commentators on there were saying what a great atmosphere it was and how teams won't like coming to Ashton Gate.

They mentioned how great the stadium is and how it keeps the noise in. 

It certainly wasn't "great" throughout the game, especially first half, however, when it gets going it is loud. 

When the team are attacking I can see why neutrals could be impressed. It's better than a lot of other grounds I've visited and we are sometimes a bit hard on ourselves. 

A game like Swindon in the promotion season, in the now complete stadium would sound superb. 

As mentioned above, if everyone stops moaning about a perceived problem and just shouts a bit louder, a bit more often, Ashton Gate can be pretty special. 

16 minutes ago, Forza Revolution said:

Atmosphere is a two way thing. Can't deny fans didn't make an effort pre match. Then up to the players to inspire occasionally which was a rarity today.

It's been rubbish all morning. Can't argue with that. 

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It certainly wasn't "great" throughout the game, especially first half, however, when it gets going it is loud. 

When the team are attacking I can see why neutrals could be impressed. It's better than a lot of other grounds I've visited and we are sometimes a bit hard on ourselves. 

A game like Swindon in the promotion season, in the now complete stadium would sound superb. 

As mentioned above, if everyone stops moaning about a perceived problem and just shouts a bit louder, a bit more often, Ashton Gate can be pretty special. 

Agree, I'd we're much better than average vocally both home and away. When it gets going at AG it can be a brilliant atmosphere. There are lots of lulls though where the lack of noise is very obvious. Glad other sections of the ground seem to be joining in more now after all the moving around.

13 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

How bad was it today? At times it was so quiet you could hear the players on the pitch.

Was a great offer by the club for tickets today and one that I took advantage and maybe it contributed to the lack of atmosphere. Maybe it was the poor game of football and not giving the crowd enough to get excited about, or maybe it was just the occasion.

Was very strange all round.

It's been like that at a few home games but think it's more lack of action tbh. When we started to have a go in the second half and the crowd livened up the atmosphere was better and all stands made some noise. Thought it was impressive especially west stand with both tiers involved for first time. Can only imagine what it could be like if we are still up in the top 6 at the end of the season and the team gets the vociferous support for the whole game. I would imagine quite intimidating for visiting teams and a boost for our players

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Yeah, OK. Not universally crap, but terracing contributes greatly to atmosphere. At least everyone stood in the EE that season, so effectively it was terracing.

Maybe sweeping statements should be avoided!

Everyone stands consistently in atyeo stand. They need to find a part of the stadium where they can have a bigger section of fans joining in. Personally for me they should relocate away fans somewhere else and give all of the atyeo to home fans. Now where they relocate the away fans is a different matter.

2 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Everyone one stands consistently in atyeo stand. They need to find a part of the stadium where they can have a bigger section of fans joining in. Personally for me they should relocate away fans somewhere else and give all of the atyeo to home fans. Now where they relocate the away fans is a different matter.

I completely agree.

6 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Everyone stands consistently in atyeo stand. They need to find a part of the stadium where they can have a bigger section of fans joining in. Personally for me they should relocate away fans somewhere else and give all of the atyeo to home fans. Now where they relocate the away fans is a different matter.

Relocate them where? Should have given the atyeo to the away fans and make the south stand cheaper and move the singers there

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Relocate them where? Should have given the atyeo to the away fans and make the south stand cheaper and move the singers there

This has been covered SO many times!

The club can't make areas of the SS unreserved and unlimited standing. They aren't allowed too. 

Why should the SS be made cheaper if "the singers" move there..?

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

This is the problem. Me personally i would put them in dolman e32-e34 but cant see it happening. Fans all have different ideas and views of how we should resolve this but it does need to be resolved because the current system of having your vocal support squashed into a small corner of the ground is crap.

14 hours ago, 054123 said:

On reflection, we sit in the Atyeo and there's always someone trying to start a song.  Some get going, some don't. 

If you like singing and atmosphere sit on the Atyeo.

Appalling atmosphere? What's new?

As for the above? I like singing and love a good atmosphere. They now selling seats in the atyeo? No? Still a closed shop? Yeh thought so.

The atmosphere is always best when the game's better I.e goals, sendings off etc etc and when there is more riding on it I.e. Need to win to stay up or get promoted.  Without those elements it is inevitably poor, at City anyway.  On Tuesday night we have a chance to reach Qtr's, so there is something riding on the result, so that's a tick, if there are goals and incident as well it will be cracking as it has been many times, even since they put seats in. How good was the atmosphere v Swindon two seasons ago, or Palace in the playoffs for example, a poor atmosphere has little to do with having seats put in

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This has been covered SO many times!

The club can't make areas of the SS unreserved and unlimited standing. They aren't allowed too. 

Why should the SS be made cheaper if "the singers" move there..?

If the singers got over the wanting to stand up thing there would be no problem moving them to another location and improving the atmosphere.  They are cutting their nose off staying in the Atyeo because they can stand up.

14 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Safe standing. AG has been shit since we did away with terracing.

I actually don't think that we as supporters of City have regularly ' created a cauldron of noise ' from the off . Even in the good old days in the East End .

Is it our reserved West Country personalities ? Those Cockney's are brash buggers with a sense of entitlement likewise the followers of the big clubs .

We have n't won much or bothered the top division too often in our history so perhaps it's an inferiority complex which leads us to believe the worst ?

56 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

This is the problem. Me personally i would put them in dolman e32-e34 but cant see it happening. Fans all have different ideas and views of how we should resolve this but it does need to be resolved because the current system of having your vocal support squashed into a small corner of the ground is crap.

We feel much more isolated and self concious when we sing sitting down , on the terrasses we were more as one .

Do choirs ever sing sitting down ? No they don't .

57 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

This would be my choice for seating arrangements too. It would be great to have home fans behind both goals, one end reserved seating and one end unreserved standing. If the away fans were in the left hand side of the Dolman the stand would be easy to segregate internally and because the home fans would be in reserved seats I'm guessing that they could do away with the acres of segregation they have in the Atyeo and just have a thin strip of netting and a few stewards like you see at most grounds. The only problem would be moving existing season ticket holders but the club were prepared to do this to relocate the Atyeo season ticket holders so it's not that unlikely that it could be done.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I actually don't think that we as supporters of City have regularly ' created a cauldron of noise ' from the off . Even in the good old days in the East End .

Is it our reserved West Country personalities ? Those Cockney's are brash buggers with a sense of entitlement likewise the followers of the big clubs .

We have n't won much or bothered the top division too often in our history so perhaps it's an inferiority complex which leads us to believe the worst ?

I remember you've posted these sentiments before but I don't agree, there's too much social mobility these days for geography to radically alter supporter behaviour so I think that's nonsense. Club size comes into it more, if you are a bigger club with more supporters you'll have more vocal fans. Most clubs have a dedicated 'end' or area for these fans.. the Holte End being one of the best in the country.

• Aston Villa
  • Barnsley
  • Birmingham City
  • Blackburn Rovers
  • Brentford
  • Brighton & Hove Albion
  • Bristol City
  • Burton Albion
  • Cardiff City
  • Derby County
  • Fulham
  • Huddersfield Town
  • Ipswich Town
  • Leeds United
  • Newcastle United
  • Norwich City
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Preston North End
  • Queens Park Rangers
  • Reading
  • Rotherham United
  • Sheffield Wednesday
  • Wigan Athletic
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers

This list is all the clubs in this league this season, out of those I'd say only Wolves, Sheffield Weds, Newcastle, Leeds, Villa and Huddersfield (because of their big 'ultra' section) have better home support than us. All of those bar Huddersfield are much bigger clubs than us too with big attendances.

I think in comparison to most clubs we're good, especially away. The only away supports in this league I think when they come to AG are louder and have a better repertoire of songs than us are Wednesday, Leeds and Newcastle (I didn't see Villa this season, - Wolves and Birmingham can be very good too).

Wednesday, Leeds and Newcastle all stand away from home and it makes a difference. Think people should operate using the rule clubs like United do, ignore the ticket number - singers towards the back. If you think back to the most vocal of our away supports' over the years, I bet they'll be from games where a large % all stood. Charlton away last season was the standout for me in the last 12 months, the day LJ was appointed, everything was a bit uncertain but tentatively positive - a feeling where everyone needed to pull together. We won, it was a great atmosphere and most stood.

Its not a club problem, its a nationwide problem. How many UK grounds these days generate a decent atmosphere?  I went to Red Star Belgrade a couple of months back and they didnt shut up for the whole 90 minutes. I even went to a Taiwan v Macau Asian cup qualifier last year and the fans were louder than then are here. Its embarassing.

Modern stadia with reserved seating, thentraditional working class fanbase being priced out of games, jobsworth stewards... Plenty of reasons for it.

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right. I think West Country folk aren`t inclined towards gobshitery, so anything that can make us noisier (terraces/ safe standing) has got to be good?

I think when the mood suits, we are up there with the best of them...and a successful team helps.

From the South Stand the effort with flags and atmosphere, and the Gow tribute in the Atyeo, was pretty good. Its a sad fact that the stadium will only rock when things are happening on the pitch first. Yesterday was just a bad game hence little crowd reaction apart from the Atyeo. Regarding the black and red flags. I saw them being collected in the South Stand after the game and being handed to a steward. But I also saw one being waved by someone by KFC after the match. Should they have all been handed back?

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

From the South Stand the effort with flags and atmosphere, and the Gow tribute in the Atyeo, was pretty good. Its a sad fact that the stadium will only rock when things are happening on the pitch first. Yesterday was just a bad game hence little crowd reaction apart from the Atyeo. Regarding the black and red flags. I saw them being collected in the South Stand after the game and being handed to a steward. But I also saw one being waved by someone by KFC after the match. Should they have all been handed back?

Yes, I believe that all PR about the arrangement of this asked for flags to all be returned for future use. 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If the singers got over the wanting to stand up thing there would be no problem moving them to another location and improving the atmosphere.  They are cutting their nose off staying in the Atyeo because they can stand up.

Footballs always been standing, why is it suddenly the people that are being traditional that're in the wrong when its other rules that're changing?

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

Footballs always been standing, why is it suddenly the people that are being traditional that're in the wrong when its other rules that're changing?

Point of correction; terracing has always been standing.

When I started going to football there was a significant choice of where you could watch football on your feet.

EastEnd - terrace 

Open End - terrace

Lower Grandstand - terrace

School Boy enclosure - terrace

Everywhere else was seated. (Granted, that wasn't much). But with the odd exception of Dolman block B rising to their feet, those in seats sat.

Archived