IGNORED

A good defeat

old_eastender

Just back, a good performance despite the defeat. In open play, even without Tomlin & Tammy on, we more than matched Hull. Hard to feel disappointed with any player, aside perhaps from Little. Even then apart from one horrendous give away in the first half, Little defended well, just does not show commitment when he has the opportunity to overlap - which he had the chance to do several times.

Engval looked really sharp and showed a good touch, Moore played well too.

Perhaps if Tammy & Tomlin had started we might have won, but I would say LJ was right to rest them.

Ref didn't give us much, Reid had a good shout for a Pen & Livermore was lucky not to have been given a second yellow.

It's not often I feel satisfied after watching defeat, but really hard to knock them after a spirted performance. Play as well at Barnsley and we should come back with 3 pts.

COYR

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Just back, a good performance despite the defeat. In open play, even without Tomlin & Tammy on, we more than matched Hull. Hard to feel disappointed with any player, aside perhaps from Little. Even then apart from one horrendous give away in the first half, Little defended well, just does not show commitment when he has the opportunity to overlap - which he had the chance to do several times.

Perhaps if Tammy & Tomlin had started we might have won, but I would say LJ was right to rest them.

Ref didn't give us much, Reid had a good shout for a Pen & Livermore was lucky not to have been given a second yellow.

It's not often I feel satisfied after watching defeat, but really hard to knock them after a spirted performance. Play as well at Barnsley and we should come back with 3 pts.

COYR

The voice of reason.Good post and agree with what you say.We all wanted to win but without the shocking defending for their goals it would have been a 1-0.COYR

Good to see that City weren't outclassed by a PL outfit. I listened on RB and watched the goals on SSN. Both Hull goals direct from corners was disappointing tho. Not sure who was supposed to be marching McGuire for the first. Reall poor defending and the second was even worse defending.......:facepalm:

On TV it looked like City were zonal marking on the second. Tomlins individual goal was top drawer as well picking the ball up in his own half and shrugging off three defenders before burying it in the corner.

Tbh I'm not overly dispointed in going out of the EFL cup. We had a decent run and to lose by the odd goal to a PL team in a close game was acceptable. 

Agree with most of that. Can't understand the fans moaning about 9 changes on Twitter and wanting their money back - did they watch the game? At a guess the first team from Saturday wouldn't have had the same energy or enthusiasm in their legs today. Wrong outcome but the right performance to build on.

The best games yet from Moore and O'Dowda in City shirts. Engvall looking like he has a touch of class (decent first touch, good acceleration). Only bad thing to take away from the game was Joe Bryan who has looked off his game for a while now and seemed to struggle to get into this one - positioning odd, at times looked like he was hiding but I think it's more he's in two minds between what he has been drilled in as a left back recently and what he was meant to be doing as a left winger. He didn't really do either.

How we didn't score more I'll never know. Tomlin was a massive upgrade when he came on and wish he'd scored both of his chances. His goal was the highlight not just for the skill of it all, but because Tom 'sicknote' Huddlestone pulled him back (you know, the sort of thing only given by the ref against our players) and managed to pull up injured in the process while Lee ran on to score. Loved seeing that.

I'm taking bets on when we see a decent referee next - I reckon February is current favourite. The way today's indulged the number 20's rolling around was right out of the "I want to be a Premiership ref so I'm going to suck up to all the Premiership players" routine. Oh well, we have a real squad of depth, talent and promise now for the first time in a long while, and they look good enough whether or not the refs are ever going to give us an even chance.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Agree with most of that. Can't understand the fans moaning about 9 changes on Twitter and wanting their money back - did they watch the game? At a guess the first team from Saturday wouldn't have had the same energy or enthusiasm in their legs today. Wrong outcome but the right performance to build on.

The best games yet from Moore and O'Dowda in City shirts. Engvall looking like he has a touch of class (decent first touch, good acceleration). Only bad thing to take away from the game was Joe Bryan who has looked off his game for a while now and seemed to struggle to get into this one - positioning odd, at times looked like he was hiding but I think it's more he's in two minds between what he has been drilled in as a left back recently and what he was meant to be doing as a left winger. He didn't really do either.

How we didn't score more I'll never know. Tomlin was a massive upgrade when he came on and wish he'd scored both of his chances. His goal was the highlight not just for the skill of it all, but because Tom 'sicknote' Huddlestone pulled him back (you know, the sort of thing only given by the ref against our players) and managed to pull up injured in the process while Lee ran on to score. Loved seeing that.

I'm taking bets on when we see a decent referee next - I reckon February is current favourite. The way today's indulged the number 20's rolling around was right out of the "I want to be a Premiership ref so I'm going to suck up to all the Premiership players" routine. Oh well, we have a real squad of depth, talent and promise now for the first time in a long while, and they look good enough whether or not the refs are ever going to give us an even chance.

Well it was Keith Stroud!!! The most inept Little-Hitler referee ive ever witnessed. 

Hes a shocker and always has been. But it wouldnt have been fair to not look after his Premier League friends would it!

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Delighted with many things I saw tonight. There is a long term plan here and I completely back what Johnson done tonight. For me we were never really going to create much with wilbs up top and engvall behind. Maybe would have been better to have wilbs behind engvall who would at least give their defence something to think about in behind. Having said that, was surprised by how well engvall did. Looks to have a great first touch, quick, works very hard and good movement, did well in marking and chasing back. Thought odowda did well. Moore looks like he is destined for the top. Reid motm. Pack gave it away a few times but no one gets through more work than that man. Once again little was just so poor when attacking. Decent enough at defending, although slow on the turn, he seems to get away with it more often than not. But a liability on the ball. Dont like saying it but I hope Brownhill and moore prove to be able to cover Matthews in that position. Thought he should have brought on Brownhill for little and kept engvall on. But great to see another kid being given a chance in mccolskey. And tomlin and tammy coming on were just sensational. Never been so happy after a loss. We're only gonna get better.

You must've been there tonight as well....pretty identical to his I saw it.  Little worked hard, got through so much work, but didn't have the quality in the final third.:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Delighted with many things I saw tonight. There is a long term plan here and I completely back what Johnson done tonight. For me we were never really going to create much with wilbs up top and engvall behind. Maybe would have been better to have wilbs behind engvall who would at least give their defence something to think about in behind. Having said that, was surprised by how well engvall did. Looks to have a great first touch, quick, works very hard and good movement, did well in marking and chasing back. Thought odowda did well. Moore looks like he is destined for the top. Reid motm. Pack gave it away a few times but no one gets through more work than that man. Once again little was just so poor when attacking. Decent enough at defending, although slow on the turn, he seems to get away with it more often than not. But a liability on the ball. Dont like saying it but I hope Brownhill and moore prove to be able to cover Matthews in that position. Thought he should have brought on Brownhill for little and kept engvall on. But great to see another kid being given a chance in mccolskey. And tomlin and tammy coming on were just sensational. Never been so happy after a loss. We're only gonna get better.

The long term plan. Quite. Valuable minutes for the likes of Engvall, Moore and McLousky. A manager who wants to invest in our future.

Notwithstanding that it was still a good showing from City, undone by some poor play at set pieces.

Johnson clearly had more than half an eye on beating his former club on Saturday and I think we might just do that...

Bobby Reid MOTM.

Taylor Moore looked classy and more mature than his age. Even took a yellow for the team

O Dowda - not so keen as others on here - he played well, but often got caught with the wrong decision

Little - spin the wheel of fortune! What will you get - who knows!!!

Tomlin - played like the kid at school who is better than everyone else, but loved his goal and great keeping kept the other effort out

Pack - good game, some mistakes, but worked hard.

Bryan - lost his way again i fear

O Donnell  - should have done better for the first, the ball comes across your goal like that, expect it to come in from the back post. It went through him

Flint - magnificent and the usual heart on the sleeve stuff

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good to see that City weren't outclassed by a PL outfit. I listened on RB and watched the goals on SSN. Both Hull goals direct from corners was disappointing tho. Not sure who was supposed to be marching McGuire for the first. Reall poor defending and the second was even worse defending.......:facepalm:

On TV it looked like City were zonal marking on the second. Tomlins individual goal was top drawer as well picking the ball up in his own half and shrugging off three defenders before burying it in the corner.

Tbh I'm not overly dispointed in going out of the EFL cup. We had a decent run and to lose by the odd goal to a PL team in a close game was acceptable. 

Bryan (I think) was marking McGuire for the first but got a two handed shove in the back, right in front of the lino

6 minutes ago, Antman said:

Bobby Reid MOTM.

Taylor Moore looked classy and more mature than his age. Even took a yellow for the team

O Dowda - not so keen as others on here - he played well, but often got caught with the wrong decision

Little - spin the wheel of fortune! What will you get - who knows!!!

Tomlin - played like the kid at school who is better than everyone else, but loved his goal and great keeping kept the other effort out

Pack - good game, some mistakes, but worked hard.

Bryan - lost his way again i fear

O Donnell  - should have done better for the first, the ball comes across your goal like that, expect it to come in from the back post. It went through him

Flint - magnificent and the usual heart on the sleeve stuff

agree, espeacily with O Dowda, thought he was not as good as others have said. Think he had a knock in 2nd half and struggled more towards the end also.

13 minutes ago, UK0wnag3 said:

I thought everybody was outstanding (set piece defending aside). 

Even Mark Little looked like a footballer tonight, very composed on the ball.

I know the floodlights dont seem too bright but it wasnt so dark you honestly would use the word composed in reference to Mark Little?!

average defender. Downs league attacking full back. His ball control is a complete lottery!!

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bryan (I think) was marking McGuire for the first but got a two handed shove in the back, right in front of the lino

Just watched LJs Player post match interview and he said it was difficult to mark such tall guys with only Flint and Pack over 6ft tall.

It was Taylor Moore who should have won the header for the first and Pack for the second but LJ wasn't pointing the finger at either of them.

He was very pleased with the youngersters as well and things are looking good at AG. 

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I know the floodlights dont seem too bright but it wasnt so dark you honestly would use the word composed in reference to Mark Little?!

average defender. Downs league attacking full back. His ball control is a complete lottery!!

I'd love to have some actual stats for his successful distribution (or not) of the ball. Forward passes to team mates? Times ball lost and went out for a goal kick under a minimal challenge? 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just watched LJs Player post match interview and he said it was difficult to mark such tall guys with only Flint and Pack over 6ft tall.

It was Taylor Moore who should have won the header for the first and Pack for the second but LJ wasn't pointing the finger at either of them.

He was very pleased with the youngersters as well and things are looking good at AG. 

Whichever player it was, McGuire gave them an almighty shove in the back

3 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

I'd love to have some actual stats for his successful distribution (or not) of the ball. Forward passes to team mates? Times ball lost and went out for a goal kick under a minimal challenge? 

Not pretty reading if there are any!!

i genuinely think he is our only obvious weak link now. 

I feel we have cover and strength everywhere but Little is bordering on a liability. Unfortunately at best a League One player and even a half fit Mathews is a massive upgrade. 

Joe Bryan is a confidence player, seems like he's lost it a little bit. He needs to establish himself in a role that he adapts better for himself and the team. We know what he's capable of, just need to get his head down and perform!

14 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Usually I'd agree but I thought he was much better tonight.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

COYR

Two corners,two goals-ball watching exhibition for both.......well played.

So, you have a home tie against a Hull side who are in poor form & have been haemorraghing goals, with the added incentive of a possible plum tie in the QF. And, you decide to go 'weak' ; how bizzare. T & A would surely fancy their chances against a Hull backline currently shell shocked & lacking confidence from successive defeats? Well, you would think so except for the little fat waiter. ' Pleased with the defeat '. Jeez, what a scary unambitious outlook. Just wait for the season to unfold why don't you.

Reid has come on so far so quickly. Seems only yesterday he was that sub who occasionally showed promise. That diamond is getting smoother every week.

Tammy is such a ball magnet, outstanding aerial control and hold up play.

It was a fairly pleasant defeat, if there is such a thing. However I still think hull are a poor team low on confidence, and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and forget that.

Firstly Sean, there's no such thing as "a good defeat"!

Secondly, I'm amazed how many people think that was a good performance.  A poor Hull team hardly got out of second gear.  And frankly, didn't need to.

Little looks like he's forgotten what his right leg is for. Tomlin gave the ball away constantly.  What has happened to Bryan's head?  He let a forward out jump him from a simple cross.  He then gave away an awful foul that looked border line red.

We had our moments but let's not pretend this was a great ("unlucky") performance against a Premiershit team.  It wasn't.  We got what we deserved.

I'm surprised how many people thought Reid was good tonight. I thought he was poor. The game was flat until we went 2-0 down, then we took the game to them. 

Tomlin added the spark that Reid and Pack hadn't produced and we came close to taking it to Extra time. 

Two poor set piece goals aside, I thought Moore looked decent, as did Engval. Great first touch he has! 

Overall, a narrow defeat that could have been different, but on to the league and keep totting up the points and see where it takes us...! 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

COYR

Saturday was a "bad" win, and tonight a "good" defeat. It's a funny old game old eastender

Archived