IGNORED

Gustav Engvall

Edge1981

Just echoing what others have said. I was wondering what he would be like when I saw his name in the line up, a little concerned but not surprised when Tammy wasn't starting. But he was really good, exciting to watch and very lively. Just kept going and going, but with more end product, not just 'headless chicken' runs. No concerns about his fitness, he certainly didn't fade. Ok he was dubbed off but he even ran over to the touch line. Really looking forward to seeing him play again.

I think this is a bit over generous.

He did ok and on two occasions his first touch gave him that extra bit of space to play a good pass and he certainly worked hard, though is nowhere near as fit as he needs to be.

However I was left with the impression that I wasn't that sure how he would become a regular goal scorer. He isn't slow but certainly isn't rapid, he is not physically that strong and won little in the air.

He was a 6/10 for me, he actually reminded me of Robert Fleck but I'm hoping to avoid the conclusion we have signed the Swedish Liam Robinson (with admittedly a better first touch).

Taking match sharpness, fitness etc into consideration...

He looked really intelligent, held the ball up well, wasn't scared to run at defenders & always knew were his teammates were. It seemed like his head was working faster than his feet but all things considering you can hardly blame him.

He looked like a Wilbs type of player to me, good first touch in the right area & was always looking to lay it off if possible. His movement in behind Wilbs tonight was good, if he can supply Tammy in the final third they could be dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

maybe

Fielding

Matthews Flint Magnusson Bryan

Paterson O'Neil/Smith Freeman

Tomlin

Engvall Abraham

I like the thinking behind it but I think we'd be overrun in centre midfield. Would require two really disciplined defensive wingers who can tuck in, Wagstaff-esque players but that would nulify our attacking wing play quite a lot.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I think this is a bit over generous.

He did ok and on two occasions his first touch gave him that extra bit of space to play a good pass and he certainly worked hard, though is nowhere near as fit as he needs to be.

However I was left with the impression that I wasn't that sure how he would become a regular goal scorer. He isn't slow but certainly isn't rapid, he is not physically that strong and won little in the air.

He was a 6/10 for me, he actually reminded me of Robert Fleck but I'm hoping to avoid the conclusion we have signed the Swedish Liam Robinson (with admittedly a better first touch).

How extraordinary, Graham! I was reading through this thread and thinking- well, he really reminds me of Robert Fleck when he played for City and then see your post. Great minds think alike.:clapping:

Considering that this was his first start at BS3 and his game time has been seriously disrupted and the fact that it can't have been the easiest match to make your debut in- I feel nothing but positivity about him. Another Tammy/Kodjia he is not but I do feel he will become a very important part of the BCFC squad over the next couple of seasons.

I had been secretly worried that we might have a new Styver but any questions as to why he has been brought to Ashton Gate were answered last night.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like a young Eidur Gudjohnson, but it's bugging me who he reminds me of with his running style, very short, speedy strides, certainly quick over 5-10 yards.  A promising home viewing.

Forrest Gump?

28 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

How extraordinary, Graham! I was reading through this thread and thinking- well, he really reminds me of Robert Fleck when he played for City and then see your post. Great minds think alike.:clapping:

Considering that this was his first start at BS3 and his game time has been seriously disrupted and the fact that it can't have been the easiest match to make your debut in- I feel nothing but positivity about him. Another Tammy/Kodjia he is not but I do feel he will become a very important part of the BCFC squad over the next couple of seasons.

You never know, as you said, he's had disrupted game time and was against premier league oppo. It's unlikely that's him playing at his full potential. I seriously doubt we'd have spent over 2 million if we weren't very confident he'd be a very good investment.

I had been secretly worried that we might have a new Styver but any questions as to why he has been brought to Ashton Gate were answered last night.

Think that would've been unfair given the injury problems. I'm sure it's not just us, but as a fanbase we seem very eager to make judgements on players very very quickly. Players need time to gel. Thought it was premature when people were suggesting Tomlin wasn't as good as last season and maybe it was "Tony Dinning syndrome".

Think people are getting slightly ahead of themselves. A lovely first touch and a willing runner but was dispossessed or lost the ball more often than not.

Certainly not knocking him as it's the first game he's played in months and there were some very promising signs. More to come I'm sure.

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think that would've been unfair given the injury problems. I'm sure it's not just us, but as a fanbase we seem very eager to make judgements on players very very quickly. Players need time to gel. Thought it was premature when people were suggesting Tomlin wasn't as good as last season and maybe it was "Tony Dinning syndrome".

Blimey, I've rushed to judge a new striker. It's not like I've got any form on this.

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Blimey, I've rushed to judge a new striker. It's not like I've got any form on this.

You'll always be remembered for calling Jimmy Greaves a total donkey at the height of his powers.

You were also wrong about Spurs 'wasting money' on Lineker when he signed from Everton.

When will you learn??

:punish:

Uncle TFR

23 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

There's something about him, in the same way that there was something about Kodjia. He's raw, but there's definitely something there, and I hope that he'll grow into the player we'll need for when Abraham eventually leaves us.

He did well last night -good effort,but no way is he capable of leading the line/playing as our main striker if we are to push on.see him,as said on here before as an Agard upgrade..

12 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He was OK - nothing more. Surprised to see how people are raving about him - touch let him down on several occasions.

We never really threatened when he was on the pitch either. When Abraham came in we were all over them.

May come good but early doors.

His touch let him down?  Seriously were you there, and if yes are you talking about the right player?  Engvall's first touch was immense at times, he just needs to show what he can do after that

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

His touch let him down?  Seriously were you there, and if yes are you talking about the right player?  Engvall's first touch was immense at times, he just needs to show what he can do after that

Yes I was and he had some good touches but also some horrible ones so overall let him down.

Archived