IGNORED

Time to knock all Cup competitions on the head.

BBlockExile

Its time to call a halt to the fiasco that has developed in English Football - Cup Football.

The Authorities have messed around with the formats to the point that The Clubs and the Fans have given up interest.

No longer do clubs take it seriously - virtually reserve sides representing clubs up and down the country - its a hopeless situation.

The only Cup that seems to generate any passion is the Champions league - so lets scrap the Europa League, FA Cup, Community Shield, FA Cup, League Cup and the League Trophy.

Everyone at FIFA / FA and the clubs want less football, so here is the chance to stop wasting everyone's time and call it a day - as we did with the Gloucester Cup.

:sad26:

Yes of course and I know what you mean but even in the last couple of years things have got really worse.

In terms of the City we had a real chance to beat a premier league team if we had put out our first choice team.

The fact that we did not, can only mean one thing, the opportunity to play in the quarter finals of the EFL cup was not as important as three points at Barnsley or any other league match for that matter. 

10 minutes ago, BBlockExile said:

Its time to call a halt to the fiasco that has developed in English Football - Cup Football.

The Authorities have messed around with the formats to the point that The Clubs and the Fans have given up interest.

No longer do clubs take it seriously - virtually reserve sides representing clubs up and down the country - its a hopeless situation.

The only Cup that seems to generate any passion is the Champions league - so lets scrap the Europa League, FA Cup, Community Shield, FA Cup, League Cup and the League Trophy.

Everyone at FIFA / FA and the clubs want less football, so here is the chance to stop wasting everyone's time and call it a day - as we did with the Gloucester Cup.

^^ Quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this forum.   :rolleyes:

Completely disagree.  I loved our run the JPT final and league cup run this season and have enjoyed seeing players like Engvall, Lucic and Moore get a run-out.  

From a more objective viewpoint, I think the situation with cup competitions has improved significantly since around ten years ago when teams were very dismissive of the league cup and it is taken a little bit more seriously than it was.

I'd agree the Europa League seems to fufil very little purpose given the expanded Champions League but would hate to lose any of the others.  The Community Shield has always been a glorified pre-season friendly. 

18 minutes ago, BBlockExile said:

All they need to do is sack off the JPT and kick premier league teams out of The EFL Cup (the clue is in the name isn't it?) Have one big competition for League teams, straight knockout, FA Cup style draw.

If the Premier league teams want to win a cup competition, there's always the FA cup.

2 domestic cup competitions, less games for everyone, no faffing around with U'23 teams.

7 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Chuck winner of Fa cup in champions league I say..

Do you have any idea how ridiculous this sentence is ? 

About as ridiculous as calling the the  Champion's league the Champions League . 

4th in the Prem ? You're a Champion .

What happened to ' No prizes for second '  ? 

Fifa and Eufa have whored off our beloved game and they have n't stopped yet .

There is no integrity any longer. I am only interested in City now and this tainted love of football leaves me clinging on by my fingertips to a sport I adored but treats it's fans like inconvenient cash cows .

Thank Bob for BCFC where most of what is good in the game remains.

40 minutes ago, BBlockExile said:

In terms of the City we had a real chance to beat a premier league team if we had put out our first choice team.

Did we? A loss to a side in the relegation places, a loss to a mid table side and a very poor win against Blackburn?

Our team on Tuesday played better than any other game this month. A fresh Tomlin & Tammy were obviously dangerous when they came on but we have been poor so why not change it?

Oh, and the mistakes for the goals were from Bryan & Pack, 2 very frequent players for us, so can't blame that on rotation either.

If the leagues get reduced to 20 teams in a couple of years, then I think the cups will carry more significance, if not then I would just have the FA Cup, the league cup has always been a bit of an irrelevance for me.

Europe league should be a big straight seeded knockout competition in my opinion.

Rather than knock all cup competitions on the head, I think it is high time that the football authorities got tough with the prima donna's of the Premier League (or any other football club that does not take our historical cup competitions seriously). I may be old school ( well old anyway) but I love the FA Cup, a competition that gives opportunity for non-league minnows to play the giants of English football (with no apologies for the welsh teams that have sneaked in to our cup). In what other competition can you see the SAGs humiliated by a side from the Southern League or such like. It is the premier domestic cup competition, not just in the UK, but in the entire football world. Let the FA introduce rules regarding the strength of the teams put out by the clubs. If the Premier Clubs don't want to play ball, tell them they will not be eligible to qualify for the Champions League. It is after all the FA that is affiliated to UEFA, not the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Rather than knock all cup competitions on the head, I think it is high time that the football authorities got tough with the prima donna's of the Premier League (or any other football club that does not take our historical cup competitions seriously). I may be old school ( well old anyway) but I love the FA Cup, a competition that gives opportunity for non-league minnows to play the giants of English football (with no apologies for the welsh teams that have sneaked in to our cup). In what other competition can you see the SAGs humiliated by a side from the Southern League or such like. It is the premier domestic cup competition, not just in the UK, but in the entire football world. Let the FA introduce rules regarding the strength of the teams put out by the clubs. If the Premier Clubs don't want to play ball, tell them they will not be eligible to qualify for the Champions League. It is after all the FA that is affiliated to UEFA, not the Premier League.

Well if Dopey hadn't turned them around a couple of years ago, then the answer to that question could very well have been "the league"!!!  Things can change quickly in football!

But, like you, I do like the romance of the FA Cup... and as for interest waning as said by the OP, I would suggest that 16000+ on Tuesday shows the opposite.

The League has become too important financially...Plus I'd love to see the European Cup Winners Cup reintroduced and named accordingly. Europa Cup...pah!!!

The Champions League seems the be all and end all unfortunately.

Personally I'd love a Cup reintroduced like the Anglo-Italian Cup, but for lower league teams.

Plus i'm all for having Cup competitions, where it's seen as something you use to try the fringe players out in.

It's a different mind set... but i'm a fan of Bristol City Football CLUB...not just first team.

I love seeing the youngsters and fringe players developing. It's not all about the first team imo.

Would love to see a Cup competition where Championship sides played against Serie B teams from Italy.

Cheap flights to Italy for a couple days with the boys, night game against the likes of Verona, Pisa, Brescia, Novara etc.

Would rather have that, than a League Cup game against Hull tbh.

2 hours ago, BBlockExile said:

Erm... Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6 hours ago, glynriley said:

All they need to do is sack off the JPT and kick premier league teams out of The EFL Cup (the clue is in the name isn't it?) Have one big competition for League teams, straight knockout, FA Cup style draw.

If the Premier league teams want to win a cup competition, there's always the FA cup.

2 domestic cup competitions, less games for everyone, no faffing around with U'23 teams.

Said the same thing last year.

The league cup should be for all sides in the football league only, the FA cup for everyone and scrap the JPT/ Checkatrade nonsense.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Would love to see a Cup competition where Championship sides played against Serie B teams from Italy.

Cheap flights to Italy for a couple days with the boys, night game against the likes of Verona, Pisa, Brescia, Novara etc.

Would rather have that, than a League Cup game against Hull tbh.

It's been tried on two separate occasions and the crowds for it were really poor.

I saw three of City's four games the last time we were in it.

The two home gates (from memory) were barely 5000, the Italians took the games over there so lightly that the last one was played on a weekday afternoon the week before Xmas, when there were only 500 watching (including me).

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It's been tried on two separate occasions and the crowds for it were really poor.

I saw three of City's four games the last time we were in it.

The two home gates (from memory) were barely 5000, the Italians took the games over there so lightly that the last one was played on a weekday afternoon the week before Xmas, when there were only 500 watching (including me).

I remember....such a shame so few loved it.

The crowds at the cup games this week including our own would show that fans are still interested in cup games especially the 1500 that traveled from Sunderland to Southampton last night and the 1900 from Norwich that traveled to Leeds, 45000 at West Ham ,over 50000 at Liverpool and nearly 50000 at Newcastle.

7 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Chuck winner of Fa cup in champions league I say..

Totally agree but that would mean only 3 league positions getting champions league. We all know it's money that dictates but , and yes I'm showing my age . Champions in the European champions cup as the old days along with the UEFA cup and cup winners cup. What UEFA didn't like was that the UEFA cup was stronger than the European cup . Thing is though they were three quality competitions . :grr:

Imagine a team who traditionally struggle to get past the first round , 27 years worth of trying , with a chance of reaching the quarter finals with the possibility of playing a top end premier league team , and the prospect of a full house at ag or etihad or old Trafford , the money and media exposure the or arm of the club crave . Then field a weakened team against a relegation threatened team who have conceded 20 goals , a lengthy injury list in a small squad ,lacking confidence , for a game at Barnsley who we tend not to do well at , in a league we won't go up or down . 

44 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Imagine a team who traditionally struggle to get past the first round , 27 years worth of trying , with a chance of reaching the quarter finals with the possibility of playing a top end premier league team , and the prospect of a full house at ag or etihad or old Trafford , the money and media exposure the or arm of the club crave . Then field a weakened team against a relegation threatened team who have conceded 20 goals , a lengthy injury list in a small squad ,lacking confidence , for a game at Barnsley who we tend not to do well at , in a league we won't go up or down . 

well when you put it like that

Archived