IGNORED

Time to knock all Cup competitions on the head.

BBlockExile

57 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Imagine a team who traditionally struggle to get past the first round , 27 years worth of trying , with a chance of reaching the quarter finals with the possibility of playing a top end premier league team , and the prospect of a full house at ag or etihad or old Trafford , the money and media exposure the or arm of the club crave . Then field a weakened team against a relegation threatened team who have conceded 20 goals , a lengthy injury list in a small squad ,lacking confidence , for a game at Barnsley who we tend not to do well at , in a league we won't go up or down . 

What? Did Norwich do that then? What a bunch of idiots!

19 hours ago, spudski said:

The League has become too important financially...Plus I'd love to see the European Cup Winners Cup reintroduced and named accordingly. Europa Cup...pah!!!

The Champions League seems the be all and end all unfortunately.

Personally I'd love a Cup reintroduced like the Anglo-Italian Cup, but for lower league teams.

Plus i'm all for having Cup competitions, where it's seen as something you use to try the fringe players out in.

It's a different mind set... but i'm a fan of Bristol City Football CLUB...not just first team.

I love seeing the youngsters and fringe players developing. It's not all about the first team imo.

Would love to see a Cup competition where Championship sides played against Serie B teams from Italy.

Cheap flights to Italy for a couple days with the boys, night game against the likes of Verona, Pisa, Brescia, Novara etc.

Would rather have that, than a League Cup game against Hull tbh.

Would be great, same with Spain or Germany. It would be good if that was incentivised properly to give it some meaning.. winner gets entry to qualifying rounds of Europa league or something.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would be great, same with Spain or Germany. It would be good if that was incentivised properly to give it some meaning.. winner gets entry to qualifying rounds of Europa league or something.

It would be great mate...especially with cheap flights so readily available these days.

Plus an opportunity to pit your wits against a team from foreign shores and test your talents. A great way to also use all the squad and give fringe players a go.

Lets not forget...Magners and Moore come from similar teams. An opportunity to find talent as well.

Teams have to apply to be in the FA cup. For teams in the lower 2 division, entry in the Shoppacheck competition is compulsory which says a lot.

As for the Champions League. When it was still the European Cup for just the Champions of each country, certain clubs led by some of the Italian giants, demanded to be allowed in every year due to their stature or else they'd break away and form their own competition.

UEFA backed down and created the Champions League with the number of clubs from each country decided by TV audience size! In my mind UEFA should have given the big clubs the chance to break away and ban anyone who played for them from competing in any other league or cup competition in Europe. They'd be able to buy players, but could only sell them on to other clubs in their private cup.

23 hours ago, BBlockExile said:

Its time to call a halt to the fiasco that has developed in English Football - Cup Football.

The Authorities have messed around with the formats to the point that The Clubs and the Fans have given up interest.

No longer do clubs take it seriously - virtually reserve sides representing clubs up and down the country - its a hopeless situation.

The only Cup that seems to generate any passion is the Champions league - so lets scrap the Europa League, FA Cup, Community Shield, FA Cup, League Cup and the League Trophy.

Everyone at FIFA / FA and the clubs want less football, so here is the chance to stop wasting everyone's time and call it a day - as we did with the Gloucester Cup.

:sad26:

Do you really think the FA Cup will get scrapped when Emirates are paying £10m per year in sponsorship and the FA have sold the overseas broadcasting rights for 6 years (starting 2018-2019 season) for circa £820m ?

No, I don't think so

Archived