IGNORED

Football books worth a read

Red Exile

A season with Verona is a good. Also Stamping Grounds by Charlie Connelly where he travels with the Liechtenstein supporters home and away for every game of a world cup qualifying campaign is a fun read.

I`ve not read it yet but Lutz Pfannenstiel`s book sounds totally bonkers and is going on my Christmas list.

On 31 October 2016 at 15:44, CheddarReds said:

Thoroughly good read is The Nowhere Men.

Reading that list, and knowing you're a coach like me, you might enjoy The Manager by Mike Carson. He speaks to Wenger, Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and half a dozen odd more on specific areas of management and how they handle it. About two thirds of the way through and really interesting

Speaking of books on management and by the same author of the Nowhere Men, Living on the Volcano is very good. Found it in the Works down my way for £3! 

I've quite enjoyed a few autobiographies of late:

Chris Garland's was a good read, but I had some history with Chris and his family that made it more interesting.

Alex Ferguson - I've read one of his books and am thinking about reading another.

Punky by Paul Randall - I know he's a Gashead but again, I went to school and played football with him and knew his family well, so that made it more interesting.

Have any other City players or managers written books that might be of interest?

7 hours ago, spudski said:

One of my favourite books ever...

As I write this post, I've a new book just purchased this morning. Living on the Volcano ' the secrets of surviving as football manager'...by Michael Calvin who wrote the Nowhere men. Looks like it could be a good read :-)

Really good, just wish he'd written a whole book full for each chapter....didn't quite do it justice, but still good.

Not the hugest fan of The Nowhere Men, but still a good insight into the life of s scout at differing level.

If you can still get them, the two ex-Brighton, Charlton and Torquay forward Garry Nelson's books are great....Left Foot Forward and Left Foot In The Grave.

And I know it's not football, but Moneyball is also a very good book....the film is sh1t.

If you're interested in the financial side, then David Conn is a must-read.  Follow him on Twitter too!

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Read Ron Greenwood coaching book, and Dave Sexton coaching book back in  the 70's/early eighties, can't remember titles but very interesting.

Yep, I had that as a kid....probably where I developed my interest in the tactical side.  Wasn't Charles Hughes associated with it?  He wasn't all long ball.

Does anyone remember the tv series (was it called) 'tactics' which was filmed with England players from a similar era?

What, no mentions for Roy of The Rovers?  I was mightily pissed off when I found out my Mum had chucked all my old annuals when she moved house a few years ago.

But I should say thanks to you lot for recommending these various books - had no idea they existed and how good they are reported to be.  Sounds like I should start with The Miracle one you all talk about and work through the rest from there.  That's birthdays and Christmas gifts to myself sorted for the foreseeable future!

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really good, just wish he'd written a whole book full for each chapter....didn't quite do it justice, but still good.

Not the hugest fan of The Nowhere Men, but still a good insight into the life of s scout at differing level.

If you can still get them, the two ex-Brighton, Charlton and Torquay forward Garry Nelson's books are great....Left Foot Forward and Left Foot In The Grave.

And I know it's not football, but Moneyball is also a very good book....the film is sh1t.

If you're interested in the financial side, then David Conn is a must-read.  Follow him on Twitter too!

Yep, I had that as a kid....probably where I developed my interest in the tactical side.  Wasn't Charles Hughes associated with it?  He wasn't all long ball.

Does anyone remember the tv series (was it called) 'tactics' which was filmed with England players from a similar era?

I've read Soccernomics, which I believe is based on Moneyball...I liked the film though :-)

The best bit about Soccernomics, is how it goes into the structure of a club and why clubs fail short term.

Don't know if anyone has read Hunter Davies's "The Glory Game" where the author is given full access to the Spurs squad of 1972 for a full season- probably not of interest to the modern reader but to those of us of a certain age a real eye opener and the first book of its type where free access was granted and it showed off footballers lives warts and all.

Ronald Reng's books are good. His biography of Lars Leese, an obscure German goalkeeper who went from regional league football in Germany to the Premier League with Barnsley is fascinating, especially about when it comes to Danny Wilson's management style. His biography of Robert Enke is somewhat different for obvious reasons. It's a really good handling of a difficult story and quite eye-opening.

Apart from that I can only echo the recommendations for The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro and everything by Jonathan Wilson.

I'm not going to drag through 48 posts, but it's a big plus one for "Calcio" (bit of a War and Peace, mind)

Also see:

• Tor - a history of German football (actually very funny in places)
  • Left foot forward - Garry Nelson
  • Why England Lose - Simon Cooper and Stephan Szymanski
  • Why the Gas are Sad and Pathetic Pikies - by every single Bristol City fan EVER :chant6ez:

17 hours ago, spudski said:

And there was me thinking I was the only one on the planet that had read Castel di Sangro...who'd have thought :-)

Read the review in FourFourTwo (maybe) when it first came out, read it years ago. Before I became a Dad, the book must be at least 15 years old by now?

27 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Read the review in FourFourTwo (maybe) when it first came out, read it years ago. Before I became a Dad, the book must be at least 15 years old by now?

Probably...if not more mate...and same here...read it when it first came out. Was really into Italian football back then. followed Lazio all over the place. Even subscribed to Football/calcio Italia magazine. You can read about my 'journalistic' skills for Calcio Italia in the Bristol City fans book...things I used to do for a dare or bet :facepalm:

Way before 'playing the Moldovans at Tennis' was even thought of ;-)

On 10/27/2016 at 13:58, spudski said:

Depends what you like mate...

I found all of these good reads and they are quite varied.

Brilliant Orange

The nowhere men

A season with Verona.

The secret footballer series of books

The miracle of Castel di sangro ( shows how corrupt football is in Italy...great book and story )

The numbers game ( moneyball )

Football against the enemy.

Google them fella...and find out what could be to your taste.

Ive always enjoyed Enid Blyton !!!

Archived