IGNORED

January transfer window

Top Robin

I really expect and hope that Lee has got a few signings lined up for January - it's only 8 weeks away so he should be having discussions now.

Although we have progressed massively, we are still lacking in certain areas - defence leaks too many and upfront we are threadbare.

I don't think this squad is good enough to get us over the line which would be really frustrating, but a couple of additions may help.

Some may be happy with mid table but that seems a bit defeatist as we are currently in a play off spot.

I expect us to try and bring in a replacement for Wilbs, he can't do much more than an hours worth. Not ideal if LJ is wanting to play 2 up top for 90 mins with a player of Wilbs' style. Maybe another right back if Matthews' fitness can't be counted on. Also wouldn't put it past LJ to try and bring in a goalkeeper who is a step up on Frankie or O'Donnell

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

I expect us to try and bring in a replacement for Wilbs, he can't do much more than an hours worth...

Don't agree, Wilbs was a lot of people's man of the match at Barnsley, played the whole game. 

Similar player Kevin Davies played at a similar level until he was 39, don't give up on Wilbs yet.

Of course he can't go on forever but he ain't letting anyone down at the moment...

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't agree, Wilbs was a lot of people's man of the match at Barnsley, played the whole game. 

Similar player Kevin Davies played at a similar level until he was 39, don't give up on Wilbs yet.

Of course he can't go on forever but he ain't letting anyone down at the moment...

Maybe so, but he won't be able to do it week in week out as seen in previous seasons when run into the ground. Also his contract won't keep getting extended, I expect as soon as LJ/MA identify someone they can get in to replace him they will do so.

39 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I don't think this squad is good enough to get us over the line which would be really frustrating, but a couple of additions may help.

Some may be happy with mid table but that seems a bit defeatist as we are currently in a play off spot.

What line is it you want us to get over? Promotion?! 

And you'd be unhappy with a mid table finish? I'm one of the 'some' who would be happy with that kind of position, especially comparing it to where we were just a year ago. 

I see your point and I agree we need reinforcements. But I'll afford LJ his '3 transfer windows' before being disappointed or feeling defeatist at what is already significant improvement.

If we continue in current form, we will be mid to mid lower table by Jan. Concede too often and aren't scoring enough. 'Playing well' with out results can only last so long before real negativity kicks in. Not quite sure Johnson has decided his best team/formation yet. It is too chop and change week in week out. Certainly need a couple of improved additions. On up front, a better right back as little is t good enough and matthews can't get fit.

Three players with Premier experience would I believe give us a real chance of at least the playoffs.  The real question is whether the club want to take it more slowly. Past experience, however, suggests you should take the chance when offered; after all by next season we could have lost key players (we shall be losing Tammy as it is).

As for goalkeeper, I believe we have quality in Lucic as I have said before.  Certainly neither of our current top two choices are anywhere near Premiership standard. Oh that we had had the nous to have kept Heaton.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I really expect and hope that Lee has got a few signings lined up for January - it's only 8 weeks away so he should be having discussions now.

Of course he and the recruiting team do

Although we have progressed massively, we are still lacking in certain areas - defence leaks too many and upfront we are threadbare.

Don't think anyone would disagree there

Mid table would represent good progress but playoffs would be more exciting 

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

If we continue in current form, we will be mid to mid lower table by Jan. Concede too often and aren't scoring enough. 'Playing well' with out results can only last so long before real negativity kicks in. Not quite sure Johnson has decided his best team/formation yet. It is too chop and change week in week out. Certainly need a couple of improved additions. On up front, a better right back as little is t good enough and matthews can't get fit.

Can't see that, our form has been good and we're top 6 right now. Yes, we aren't perfect, but we've completely overhauled the squad and despite a big outlay this summer there are clubs with much stronger squads than ours.

Form in recent game isn't great. Losses to Cardiff and QPR and a draw at Barnsley with a loss in the cup doesn't strike me as successful. Yes we narrowly beat Blackburn 1-0 but most would expect that. Fortunate to still be in play offs following last 4 league games which shows how well we started. Shame we are currently undoing all that work with mistakes, shipping goals and not scoring enough and I feel realistically, Brighton will teach us a footballing lesson on sat evening. I refuse to be a happy clapper for the sake of it. There are serious improvements that need making if we have any ambition to be in the play offs come end of season and as someone said above, we need to take chances while we have them rather than accepting mediocrity with the hope of future improvement.

5 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Form in recent game isn't great.

It isn't 'great' but it isn't bad either. We're still 6th.

Losses to Cardiff and QPR and a draw at Barnsley with a loss in the cup doesn't strike me as successful.

It's a small sample size, QPR and Cardiff were close games and could've gone either way. This is a very hard league. The Barnsley game wasn't a bad point really, they're a handy side. It is a shame we couldn't hold on. The cup game is irrelevant really, no matter who they are we'd be underdogs against a Prem side. It's a bonus and we gave a good account of ourselves.

Yes we narrowly beat Blackburn 1-0 but most would expect that. Fortunate to still be in play offs following last 4 league games which shows how well we started.

Would they? It's a tough league and I don't go into any game 'expecting' a win. We'd be favourites at home vs Blackburn but it's naive to 'expect' victory. Is it fortunate? We're 6th on merit.

Shame we are currently undoing all that work with mistakes, shipping goals and not scoring enough and I feel realistically, Brighton will teach us a footballing lesson on sat evening.

Are we? Our form is steady, yes we've lost a couple of tight games but it happens. It'll happen again this season. This league is ridiculously competitive. We could well lose on Saturday but I wouldn't 'expect' it either. We could easily turn them over. I wouldn't bet against us at home regardless of opposition.

I refuse to be a happy clapper for the sake of it.

It's not about being a 'happy clapper', it's about being realistic. You need a bit more perspective, we bought well and we have started well. As it stands though, mid table would be progress. I would love playoffs but realistically a top 10 finish would be really commendable.

There are serious improvements that need making if we have any ambition to be in the play offs come end of season and as someone said above, we need to take chances while we have them rather than accepting mediocrity with the hope of future improvement.

Playoffs would be great, but I think realistically we aren't quite there yet in terms of squad depth. We've bought really well but it's a tough ask to go from relegation battling to playoffs in less than a year. Just try and enjoy it, I don't think we're in any danger of relegation, we have a young and exciting team and play good football. We are clearly a work in progress and the best is yet to come from this squad. Give it a year or two and we will be in a strong position to really challenge in this league.

3 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Form in recent game isn't great. Losses to Cardiff and QPR and a draw at Barnsley with a loss in the cup doesn't strike me as successful. Yes we narrowly beat Blackburn 1-0 but most would expect that. Fortunate to still be in play offs following last 4 league games which shows how well we started. Shame we are currently undoing all that work with mistakes, shipping goals and not scoring enough and I feel realistically, Brighton will teach us a footballing lesson on sat evening. I refuse to be a happy clapper for the sake of it. There are serious improvements that need making if we have any ambition to be in the play offs come end of season and as someone said above, we need to take chances while we have them rather than accepting mediocrity with the hope of future improvement.

******* hell, there's a hell of a difference between "being a happy clapper for the sake of it", "accepting mediocrity" and your attitude.

Last year we were looking certs for relegation as late as February. For our fans to be happy with a midtable season this year isn't "accepting mediocrity" it is noting what is realistic and decent progress. And even then I expect most will be a bit disappointed that we fell away from the playoffs if we did end up mid table.

Were you expecting us to run away with the title or something? Because having an expectation like that is the only reason I can see for the perspective you have given.

As for being lucky to be where we are, that's just nonsense. The table may have not fully shaped up yet, but at this stage of the season no one is placed where they are because of luck.

I think it very much depends on where we sit in six weeks time. If we're either in the top six or a few points off I can see the board giving supporting the recruitment of players. I don't think it's unrealistic for there to be a budget of around 5 million available based on the money the club gained in the summer. I'm not expecting that to be spent on one player by the way.

If we fall away and are points adrift of the top six I think the club will wait till the summer before making any serious investment in the squad.

4 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Tyrone Mings?

Thinking about it wouldn't be a bad shout...

Left back, 23 years old, returning from a long injury, very highly rated and only signed by Bournemouth last year for £8 million.

Product of the Southampton youth academy, before joining the Sags and has also played for Chippenham and Yate.

Not sure if left back is a priority position, but we should be taking any chance to improve the team in this industry. Perhaps a loan with potential to buy at the end?

5 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Left back, 23 years old, returning from a long injury, very highly rated and only signed by Bournemouth last year for £8 million.

Product of the Southampton youth academy, before joining the Sags and has also played for Chippenham and Yate.

Not sure if left back is a priority position, but we should be taking any chance to improve the team in this industry. Perhaps a loan with potential to buy at the end?

If Bournemouth think he's never going to make it I think he'd be a great option. He's also tall and strong so if he's lost any pace as a result of the injury he's had perhaps he could become a centre half. 

21 minutes ago, daored said:

I think it very much depends on where we sit in six weeks time. If we're either in the top six or a few points off I can see the board giving supporting the recruitment of players. I don't think it's unrealistic for there to be a budget of around 5 million available based on the money the club gained in the summer. I'm not expecting that to be spent on one player by the way.

If we fall away and are points adrift of the top six I think the club will wait till the summer before making any serious investment in the squad.

I don't think it's so much of an issue where we are in the table whether the club will invest or not, more that where we are in the table will attract a higher caliber of player, or not. If we are sitting the higher end of mid table, or promotion place, it will open more doors. Steve Lansdown has never baulked from investing on the whole has he, and right now he has his bright young Manager who I think he trusts, along with Mark Ashton, more than the past couple at least.

people will be disapointed in jan i expect, we will bring 1 maybe 2 in, a few loans maybe that will be it, people will then bitch and moan, city will start to perform, we will finish 6th, get to the play-off final and lose to norwich, people will then blame johnson and ashton and lansdown for not "going for it" and then the negativity will set in, untill next season when we walk the league

37 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't think it's so much of an issue where we are in the table whether the club will invest or not, more that where we are in the table will attract a higher caliber of player, or not. If we are sitting the higher end of mid table, or promotion place, it will open more doors. Steve Lansdown has never baulked from investing on the whole has he, and right now he has his bright young Manager who I think he trusts, along with Mark Ashton, more than the past couple at least.

I think depending on where we sit in the league will base the Club's appetite for how much they're prepared to give to Johnson and Ashton. The point below is very correct, the prices in January will be ridiculous. If we're not in the mix for play offs I think the club will see the benefit in waiting till the summer, where value for money will be more readily available

37 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

also I should add, a 2 million pound striker in the summer will cost 8 million in January 

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

I used to have to mark is Dad on Sunday mornings in the 80's up on Lansdown playing fields !!

12 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I think you need to remember who we are and where we are as a club. We're still one of the smallest clubs in this league but building for bigger things hopefully. We have a young squad that will take time to get better. Let's not run before we can walk. I can understand some getting a bit carried away especially younger fans but let's be realistic. 

I'd think a couple loans would be more likely to freshen up the squad. I can't see more than two permanent signings and they may not be first team signings from the start. Like has been said, January has even more inflated prices for players. Of course there could be a situation or two we can take advantage of but I think January is tough to recruit what we look for(u24)on a permanent basis. 

Archived