IGNORED

January transfer window

Top Robin

13 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

If we continue in current form, we will be mid to mid lower table by Jan. Concede too often and aren't scoring enough. 'Playing well' with out results can only last so long before real negativity kicks in. Not quite sure Johnson has decided his best team/formation yet. It is too chop and change week in week out. Certainly need a couple of improved additions. On up front, a better right back as little is t good enough and matthews can't get fit.

Yes, our defence is so poor we've let in 7 goals less than Norwich and our attack so poor that we've only scored the same number of goals as Brighton and we've got the best defence of the teams in the play-off positions.

We just need one or two extra strikers in January, the rest can wait till the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Yes, our defence is so poor we've let in 7 goals less than Norwich and our attack so poor that we've only scored the same number of goals as Brighton and we've got the best defence of the teams in the play-off positions.

We just need one or two extra strikers in January, the rest can wait till the end of the season.

I think more important than two strikers is a proper winger. Right sided as we've got a few that can play comfortably on the left. A striker and a winger IMO. Someone with pace and that can cross. Elliott Bennett would be a good fit for this team now as an example not a target 

I think it's easy to forget the amount of players we bought in over the summer, there was a massive overhaul of the squad. To be in the play offs right now is a wonderful achievement, and one, I'm sure, we'd have all settled for on 4th Nov during those lovely, bright, sunny summer days

I don't seemthe need for another one in January. I'd like to see another striker come in to take some weight off Tammy & Wilbs collective shoulders. I'd be amazed if one didn't come in

Other than that, unless we suffer a long term injury or two, or a massive drop off in form then I think we're pretty set. Unless there is an absolute bargain, who will improve the squad massively, I'm pretty happy

15 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I really expect and hope that Lee has got a few signings lined up for January - it's only 8 weeks away so he should be having discussions now.

Although we have progressed massively, we are still lacking in certain areas - defence leaks too many and upfront we are threadbare.

I don't think this squad is good enough to get us over the line which would be really frustrating, but a couple of additions may help.

Some may be happy with mid table but that seems a bit defeatist as we are currently in a play off spot.

Have to agree but rather think plans are in place to do what is required.  Hope so anyway !

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

also I should add, a 2 million pound striker in the summer will cost 8 million in January 

I think we'll also find that there's a bargain or two to be had as well, players who will be out of contract at their current club in the summer & those clubs will need to cash in now (January) rather than lose those players for nothing in the summer. I'm sure the club are already aware of potential targets contract situations.

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I think we'll also find that there's a bargain or two to be had as well, players who will be out of contract at their current club in the summer & those clubs will need to cash in now (January) rather than lose those players for nothing in the summer. I'm sure the club are already aware of potential targets contract situations.

You are correct, but I do feel there will be a number of disgruntled Premier League strikers who are really struggling to get a game. It may be an opportunity for us to offer them some game time, and a club challenging at the right end of the Championship may just appeal to them. I think we have more chance of attracting a better player this season as to where we were this time last season. I appreciate it is just on loan but as you say, prices rocket in January.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I don't think it's so much of an issue where we are in the table whether the club will invest or not, more that where we are in the table will attract a higher caliber of player, or not. If we are sitting the higher end of mid table, or promotion place, it will open more doors. Steve Lansdown has never baulked from investing on the whole has he, and right now he has his bright young Manager who I think he trusts, along with Mark Ashton, more than the past couple at least.

Yes I think you are right.

We haven't seen the Swedish lad to any extent so we are really not sure if we have found a good'un there. If we pretend not another forward (people do tend to say striker) is likely, but I can't see it being a domestic buy. Another defender is likely for a myriad of reasons, however the middle of the park is really an issue. We have a whole slew of players but need even greater return by way of goals if we are going to challenge.

Upside is this team is still bedding in and may well naturally develop into a side competing for a top six finish

40 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I think you are right.

We haven't seen the Swedish lad to any extent so we are really not sure if we have found a good'un there. If we pretend not another forward (people do tend to say striker) is likely, but I can't see it being a domestic buy. Another defender is likely for a myriad of reasons, however the middle of the park is really an issue. We have a whole slew of players but need even greater return by way of goals if we are going to challenge.

Upside is this team is still bedding in and may well naturally develop into a side competing for a top six finish

He's crap in my fm17 team if that's of any help to you :)

4 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

You are correct, but I do feel there will be a number of disgruntled Premier League strikers who are really struggling to get a game. It may be an opportunity for us to offer them some game time, and a club challenging at the right end of the Championship may just appeal to them. I think we have more chance of attracting a better player this season as to where we were this time last season. I appreciate it is just on loan but as you say, prices rocket in January.

I don't have an issue with us signing a few loan players from The Premier League, the slight problem we will have is that any proven striker from The Premier League are likely to be on large wages (look what LT was rumoured to be on at 'little' Bournemouth, so if we try for a striker from an established Premier League club, the likely hood is that their wages would push us to our limits & while a loan could enable us to get the parent club to pay a percentage, it is clearly a case that the club find better value for money abroad, both in transfer fee's & wages.

What I was getting at originally was that fee's don't have to be high if we are already aware of which players contracts are running out in the summer as clubs will have to cash in now rather than getting nothing in six months or so time.

19 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

If we continue in current form, we will be mid to mid lower table by Jan. Concede too often and aren't scoring enough. 'Playing well' with out results can only last so long before real negativity kicks in. Not quite sure Johnson has decided his best team/formation yet. It is too chop and change week in week out. Certainly need a couple of improved additions. On up front, a better right back as little is t good enough and matthews can't get fit.

we are 4th in the form table over the last 7 games so i don't quite see your point?

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't agree, Wilbs was a lot of people's man of the match at Barnsley, played the whole game. 

Similar player Kevin Davies played at a similar level until he was 39, don't give up on Wilbs yet.

Of course he can't go on forever but he ain't letting anyone down at the moment...

Willbs will be gone end of season,and rightly so....time to move on.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

A mid table finish would be fine. If we got promoted this season, it would be a year or two too soon.

This sort of statement makes no sense. When is it ever too soon to get your hands on a minimum of £100 million, when it's only going to get harder to get it.

10 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

This sort of statement makes no sense. When is it ever too soon to get your hands on a minimum of £100 million, when it's only going to get harder to get it.

I think the sentiment is that we'd be better equipped to stay up and operate better as a premier league side if we went up in a couple of seasons. We'd have a better scout network, hopefully more fruitful academy, a fully functioning Ashton Gate with no teething issues.. 

11 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Makes perfect sense. Obviously if we got promoted nobody would be moaning but when we go up we want to stay up! I'd rather when we do go up we have 11 players on the pitch and 7 on the bench who can handle the premier league. As it stands at the moment we're not quite there. Take Abraham out of the equation and we don't have a striker in my opinion who will score more than 8 goals. Give it another year and I think LJ will have us ready. That said, if you want to go the fast route and get us promoted now Lee, go ahead :thumbsup: 

It'd be great to get promoted...... have a premiership adventure..... get relegated ......and some lovely parachute payments ...... and have the money to buy the players we can't get now.... and then go back up in a stronger position.... and stay up.... and win the Prem.... and the Champions league.....

Ooops. Got a bit carried away!:clapping:

Archived