IGNORED

Freeman

MyBrotherErnie

3 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

God help us us if you think Freeman is the answer . 

He is a frustrating player, but when him and Reid are on they provide energy and runs off the ball in midfield. I'd say that in the absence of a replacement, Freeman adds a lot. We lost tonight because we gave the ball away and did toss all going forward. Freeman should be a small part of a far larger answer . 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't think so. I would say he's been one of our best performers this season. If Freeman is poor at this level, so our most of our midfielders and attackers

I agree with the latter point.

The only midfielders and strikers consistently good enough for top 10 championship are 

Smith, O'Neil, Tomlin, Reid, Abraham.

Paterson was poor and Freeman would've been. You need proper wingers and width. Perfect example is Brighton tonight. Paterson and Freeman constantly come inside taking space away from Tomlin who then drops deep. Then when they do stay wide they always want the ball to their feet. They never mix it up with a run in behind or across the defenders like Joe did once at the start of the second half. I think we have one of them positions sorted in O'Dowda who just needs to play and get the confidence going. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Who have I missed out? Top ten I said.  Freeman, Paterson and Pack good lower championship players.

On today's performance O'Neill and Smith well off top 10 side

Tomlin missed City's best chance, in fact Sky said best chance of match for both sides.  Lee also was strongly critical of Tomlin.

We need consistency and some upgrades and better choices

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Paterson was poor and Freeman would've been. You need proper wingers and width. Perfect example is Brighton tonight. Paterson and Freeman constantly come inside taking space away from Tomlin who then drops deep. Then when they do stay wide they always want the ball to their feet. They never mix it up with a run in behind or across the defenders like Joe did once at the start of the second half. I think we have one of them positions sorted in O'Dowda who just needs to play and get the confidence going. 

O'Dowda was only asked to do one thing right tonight - get that free kick into the box. And he didn't do it

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Tomlin missed City's best chance, in fact Sky said best chance of match for both sides.  Lee also was strongly critical of Tomlin.

So why say crikey then?! Thought you were disagreeing!

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

O'Dowda was only asked to do one thing right tonight - get that free kick into the box. And he didn't do it

No he didn't but he did draw the foul with a good strong run down the wing which we never see. He's not close to a finished product but he stays out wide without the ball and tries to get in behind from time to time. He has what we lack and I imagine a good run of games will get him some confidence. 

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Yeah he missed a chance but tomlin was our best player tonight by a country mile

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Freeman is one of many poor wingers at the club. 

I don't think City have any proper wingers. Patterson, O'Dowda and Freeman can all run crab like across the pitch but none can beat a defender on the outside and put in a decent cross. 

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

Patterson one of the only good things tonight

I don't want to make a habit of this, but I can't work out if you and I see different games!

I thought Paterson in terms of the opportunity he had with the ball and the ability he clearly has, was extremely poor. Decision making terrible, end product terrible, and gave the ball away cheaply several times. As has been said on another thread, he had obviously been instructed by someone to run inside at every opportunity, giving Mark Little absolutely zero support (but it's always Little's fault...) and usually before losing the ball somewhere in central midfield with half the team out of position. In the grand scheme I wouldn't single out Patterson because they were all very very poor, but he certainly wasn't an exception.

On this thread as a whole, I know people never miss an opportunity to be sarcastic about Freeman, but seriously, we do miss him. That's not high praise for him, more just a reflection of how poor the rest of them have been with the ball. I know he also wouldn't have offered the true pace and directness of an out and out winger on the last man's shoulder, but he will (at least start) by moving in the right direction with the ball and go at people without giving it away quite as cheaply as we are at the moment. Those 10-20 seconds of him pontificating are the foothold we need for other players to get forward and support Abraham.

Besides Tomlin, I didn't see a single player yesterday hold the ball for any period of time in an advanced position. It's no surprise we're not creating anything. Yes Freeman can be frustrating holding onto the ball longer than necessary without making a decision but I think people miss the value that brings in settling the team into a sustained attacking phase. Yesterday we tried to slow it down by moving inside more than 40 yards out before giving the ball away in central midfield. None of those things achieve any attacking possession or shape, nor cause any problems, nor offer an incentive for our other players to get forward. 

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

I don't want to make a habit of this, but I can't work out if you and I see different games!

I thought Paterson in terms of the opportunity he had with the ball and the ability he clearly has, was extremely poor. Decision making terrible, end product terrible, and gave the ball away cheaply several times. As has been said on another thread, he had obviously been instructed by someone to run inside at every opportunity, giving Mark Little absolutely zero support (but it's always Little's fault...) and usually before losing the ball somewhere in central midfield with half the team out of position. In the grand scheme I wouldn't single out Patterson because they were all very very poor, but he certainly wasn't an exception.

On this thread as a whole, I know people never miss an opportunity to be sarcastic about Freeman, but seriously, we do miss him. That's not high praise for him, more just a reflection of how poor the rest of them have been with the ball. I know he also wouldn't have offered the true pace and directness of an out and out winger on the last man's shoulder, but he will (at least start) by moving in the right direction with the ball and go at people without giving it away quite as cheaply as we are at the moment. Those 10-20 seconds of him pontificating are the foothold we need for other players to get forward and support Abraham.

Besides Tomlin, I didn't see a single player yesterday hold the ball for any period of time in an advanced position. It's no surprise we're not creating anything. Yes Freeman can be frustrating holding onto the ball longer than necessary without making a decision but I think people miss the value that brings in settling the team into a sustained attacking phase. Yesterday we tried to slow it down by moving inside more than 40 yards out before giving the ball away in central midfield. None of those things achieve any attacking possession or shape, nor cause any problems, nor offer an incentive for our other players to get forward. 

Great points here, but with Freeman or without him , our right side is poor at the moment . 

12 hours ago, grove park city said:

Freeman would have made f### all difference tonight judged on past performances he's hardly an Albert or Bolasie is ok against the lesser Championship sides but out of it against the top sides his goal threat is zero and final ball not much better a league 1 player at best..

Oh come off it - League One player at best? He was one of the best players in League One during our promotion season. And he's played well this.

12 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yeah he missed a chance but tomlin was our best player tonight by a country mile

Best player but he still wasn't much cop. Sometimes I question his decision-making. He reminds me so much of a guy I used to play football with. Very skilful and he knew it, but ball-greedy too. He'd prefer to take on 3 or 4 players than pass to a teammate in space, and when he did finally pass (usually because he was in a pickle), he would throw his toys out of the pram because his teammates weren't 'on the same wavelength'.

Tomlin isn't as bad as that, but there are echoes.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Best player but he still wasn't much cop. Sometimes I question his decision-making. He reminds me so much of a guy I used to play football with. Very skilful and he knew it, but ball-greedy too. He'd prefer to take on 3 or 4 players than pass to a teammate in space, and when he did finally pass (usually because he was in a pickle), he would throw his toys out of the pram because his teammates weren't 'on the same wavelength'.

It doesn't really help when he should be high up the pitch holding up the ball, bringing in players to attack and aiding Tammy but is unable to because he has to walk almost to our CB's to collect the ball. We had O'Neil and Smith on the pitch and their inability to bring the ball forward from our defence was shameful.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

spot on he can be a very frustrating player but without him I doubt we would be where we are

Archived