IGNORED

O'Donnell

Smokey

Lucic next game for me.

Frankie injured and O'Donnell not being switched on for their first is just dreadful.

Actually felt we had matched Brighton until then, but that goal took all the atmosphere out our crowd- there wasn't even a rallying cry like normal- and it seems the players too.

2 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Can't remember exactly but didn't the one game Lucic played in this season he pulled off some excellent saves and even a penalty? Give him a try like we did to Vyner last season

He did, Fulham in the cup.

Personally would start Lucic next game,  Frankies out and for a professional goalkeeper to be caught out because they were watching fireworks is ridiculous

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He did, Fulham in the cup.

Personally would start Lucic next game,  Frankies out and for a professional goalkeeper to be caught out because they were watching fireworks is ridiculous

Those fireworks were the first fireworks of the night from the Atyeo end. I suppose I feel a little for him because the fireworks were right in his eye line and surely it's human nature to look at fireworks when you see them or hear a bang? I know I certainly do. Unfortunately for him at that split second he switched off Brighton were in a position to take advantage. It was the perfect storm for them. 

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Those fireworks were the first fireworks of the night from the Atyeo end. I suppose I feel a little for him because the fireworks were right in his eye line and surely it's human nature to look at fireworks when you see them or hear a bang? I know I certainly do. Unfortunately for him at that split second he switched off Brighton were in a position to take advantage. It was the perfect storm for them. 

Yes they were, but sat directly behind O'Donnell in the south stand (but higher up- arguably with the fireworks more in my eyeline) I managed to spot the lob happening before he did without getting distracted, and I'm not paid £x000 per week to guard a goal for 90 minutes on one day of a week.

Wholly unacceptable.

Horrible goal to concede but it's harsh to blame ROD for being off his line...keepers naturally stray from their line when the play is nowhere near them so that they're an outlet for relieving pressure. If he doesn't slip on his way back then it's no goal, unfortunately for him - and us - he does, and it was.

If I was Chris Hughton I'd be singing Baldock's praises for that goal as much as Sidwell.

Look at the space Korey has when Gary O'Neil plays the pass

91d15a6604358cd617f1356d314a7384.png

Now look at Baldock (top right) - he's alert to the possibility of that pass being played long before O'Neil plays it. By the time the ball arrives to Korey, he's panicked at the onrushing Baldock, takes a horror touch and allows them to steal the ball. Just look at the ground that Baldock's covered in the time it's taken the ball to get to Korey.

5719d7d03928bb02ed2f47a7e356ea32.png

Obviously a fantastic technique from Sidwell to score from there, but the chance begins with being robbed of possession by a striker who presses relentlessly. Baldock's spent his whole career doing that and as with every other time he visits AG, he hurt us.

To those who didn't appreciate his value - this is why he's in a team competing at the top end.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting Korey to lose the ball on the half way line either.

Very easy to blame the keeper  (I've personally never understood why some of them go so far up the pitch), but if Smith hadn't lost the ball, they wouldn't have scored.

Yeah he should have done better but it's not fair to lay all the blame at his door.

End result is that we've lost to a team that thrashed Norwich 5-0 last weekend, and didn't really cause them any problems in the final third. That's more worrying.

Give Lucic a go I say, think he will become a very good keeper, certainly has the build to become one.

O'Donnells biggest mistake for the goal was that as soon as we lost the ball he had 5 seconds to get back on his toes to his line, he wasnt alert enough and thats cost us the game really. Even the 2nd I think he got down far too slowly.

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

Can't blame his positioning as Smith had acres of room around him to control and pass the ball as everyone expected, but his comical attempt at running backwards was a bit embarrassing. It was like he was wearing clown shoes.

Shame - he had the opportunity to keep Frank on the bench but that episode won't have done him any good both in terms of confidence and first team opportunities.

Pretty much this.

Surely the starting position in being off his line was to be able to anticipate having to rush out to sweep up, which is pretty normal I'd have thought? 

Blaming fireworks for the first goal? you are joking. 

A simple keeper error; ROD was outside the penalty area on the arc when Sidwell kicked the ball. ROD was not concentrating, does not need to be that far off his goal line when play is just inside opponents half. No keeper should ever "wander" further away from goal than the penalty spot.

An absolutely gut wrenching goal to concede fro the team and the fans. Brighton have not lost any of the last twenty five game where they have scored first, so I, and probably many others, realised that was game over.

I believe that Lucic will be our number one keeper before the end of this season and we can bid farewell to FF and ROD.

Archived