IGNORED

O'Donnell

Smokey

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Blaming fireworks for the first goal? you are joking. 

A simple keeper error; ROD was outside the penalty area on the arc when Sidwell kicked the ball. ROD was not concentrating, does not need to be that far off his goal line when play is just inside opponents half. No keeper should ever "wander" further away from goal than the penalty spot.

An absolutely gut wrenching goal to concede fro the team and the fans. Brighton have not lost any of the last twenty five game where they have scored first, so I, and probably many others, realised that was game over.

I believe that Lucic will be our number one keeper before the end of this season and we can bid farewell to FF and ROD.

Every keeper has done so this season, we were talking only a few matches ago how it's surprising more keepers do not get lobbed from play... shame it had to happen to us, but Sweeper keepers seem to be here to stay.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A simple keeper error; ROD was outside the penalty area on the arc when Sidwell kicked the ball. 

Not true.

He was well inside the box when the ball was struck, having retreated when Korey lost the ball.

So to say he was not concentrating is a a fairly groundless claim. Likewise those who have slated ROD for not "retreating 5 yards" when Korey lost possession should check the video and see that's exactly what he did....

IMG_7337.PNG

1 hour ago, RightUpInCider said:

Not true.

He was well inside the box when the ball was struck, having retreated when Korey lost the ball.

So to say he was not concentrating is a a fairly groundless claim. Likewise those who have slated ROD for not "retreating 5 yards" when Korey lost possession should check the video and see that's exactly what he did....

IMG_7337.PNG

I do love it when groundless claims stated as fact on here are disproven by actual evidence. Shame we can't have multi-angle Sky coverage of every game.

6 hours ago, marksy said:

The fist goal conceded against Hull was a strange one as well. I've watched it a few times and still can't understand why he didn't make an easy save?

....very strange, I thought Maradona  retired years ago, oh well after that 'hand of God' thing we all hoped he'd to go to Hull... 

;) 

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

He was slightly too far off his line and the tripping up was embarrassing but I cannot see anything to prove he was watching fireworks.  

I think the whole tripping thing was because he had switched concentration from the fireworks back to the game and he became disorientated and therefor tripped.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I think the whole tripping thing was because he had switched concentration from the fireworks back to the game and he became disorientated and therefor tripped.

Pure speculation. Maybe he tripped up simply because he was trying to run backwards as quickly as he could whilst trying to maintain eye contact with the ball as well as positioning himself to make an awkward save.

A less interesting but far more probable explanation. But I suppose it wouldn't give people the ammunition they seem to crave to criticise our keeper. He could have done better, but plenty of keepers would have been caught out by what was a remarkable long range effort.

Obviously he should have stopped it but then most goalkeepers seem to be well off their line quite a lot these days. Stockdale was positioning himself on the edge of the box a fair amount as well. Maybe it's something to do with the current fashion for the sweeper/goalkeeper. Only surprised we don't see more people having a go from half way...

Seems to have lost a lot of confidence post Sheffield Wednesday.

Can't see a way back for him now, Fielding will be fit after the international break and wouldn't be surprised to see Lucic on the bench regularly then.

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He did in his first game, but can't remember another time when you could say he's lost us a match, but there have been plenty where he's kept us in it (as at Barnsley in his last appearance)

Ah no not knocking him, just reading the thread and I had a flashback of his home debut and thought "wow, that was bad"

ROD is a decent keeper out of form and out of luck.  Awful goal and the comedy fall was Seamanesque. 

Frank is a good keeper. Lucic has pen save under his belt. But what else do we know about him. I guess LJ needs to be the arbiter of if he's ready. 

If Frank is fit he plays. If not then maybe Lucic but to be frank ROD didn't do much else wrong. 

We will see in two weeks I guess but an across the board rethink is due with our entire team. 

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Didn't Fielding have a nightmare home debut for us ?

We drew 2-2 with Bradford at AG on Fielding's debut and he could have done better with their second but it certainly was no "nightmare" then very early on we lost 5-4 to Coventry at Northampton and he was pretty bad but this is all a very long time ago now.

Didn't think I'd be saying this st the start of the season but he is well ahead of O'Donnell in the pecking order now.

9 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Give Lucic a go I say, think he will become a very good keeper, certainly has the build to become one.

O'Donnells biggest mistake for the goal was that as soon as we lost the ball he had 5 seconds to get back on his toes to his line, he wasnt alert enough and thats cost us the game really. Even the 2nd I think he got down far too slowly.

The second was a defection ROD had it covered, there was nothing he could do about it.

8 hours ago, Fiale said:

Didn't Fielding have a nightmare home debut for us ?

Bradford at home, opening day of 13/14. Ran off his line when everyone else in the stadium could see it was a completely stupid idea- think after a few more games he didn't play for us for ages because even Elliot Parish somehow looked like a better option at the time. Once he grew his hair he suddenly became really good again

Goalkeeper is a thankless position. Make a mistake & it's probably a goal, unlike elsewhere on the pitch where you can have a shocker & it won't necessarily make much difference.

As others have said, sweeper keepers are in vogue, but better goalkeepers than ROD have been caught out before now by lobs. Also have to say that Sidwell hit it perfectly as it was right in the middle of the goal and bounced just behind the line, making it as difficult as possible.

And nothing ROD could do about the second as he appeared to have it covered until if deflected off Flinty towards the post.

I don't think ROD is a bad keeper but he is out of luck, out of form & lacking confidence. Remember Flint had a bad run of form around the same time as ROD but was allowed to play through it. Goalkeepers not always given that level of support these days. Ironic as most managers & coaches have no idea of how to be a keeper...

From memory O'Donnell arrived when we were shocking at the back, his confidence and ability certainly was part of the reason we clawed our way back from the brink. He passed on some belief to those around him, and now needs his defenders to do the same for him. And what a mature player Magnusson is for being the only player to go to him and offer some comfort after the goal.

He doesn't become a bad player over night, but is having a poor bit of form right now as every player does. He was replaced by Frankie because of this and now because of injury finds himself in the spotlight again, before he is fully ready I think. Physically if you are injured you are allowed the time to recover, but for incidents which play on your mind mentally, especially when other errors happen it's not so easy.

Personally I think he didn't look very secure against Hull for at least one of their goals, but to put the third place keeper in instead of him might have been another mental blow for him. I've only seen Lucic play twice, and one of those was for Cheltenham in the pre season friendly, but I'm not sure about starting him and expecting him instantly to be the answer. He needs more games before he is thrown into the Championship, and even then he would need ALL our defenders to be on their game, not just Magnusson and Flint.

Frankie is a bit small and erratic, i do like him and he's a great character and seems popular amongst the team. I am worried about how much time he is fit and available though, when he gets injured he is often missing for months. 

O'Donnel seems a different character, quieter but very passionate on the pitch. He came here and seemed to 'get' us straight away. He always looked a more commanding , safer pair of hands to me. I hope he can get his form back and doesn't dwell on these matches. Sidwell will possibly never score another goal like that again. 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

From memory O'Donnell arrived when we were shocking at the back, his confidence and ability certainly was part of the reason we clawed our way back from the brink. He passed on some belief to those around him, and now needs his defenders to do the same for him. And what a mature player Magnusson is for being the only player to go to him and offer some comfort after the goal.

He doesn't become a bad player over night, but is having a poor bit of form right now as every player does. He was replaced by Frankie because of this and now because of injury finds himself in the spotlight again, before he is fully ready I think. Physically if you are injured you are allowed the time to recover, but for incidents which play on your mind mentally, especially when other errors happen it's not so easy.

Personally I think he didn't look very secure against Hull for at least one of their goals, but to put the third place keeper in instead of him might have been another mental blow for him. I've only seen Lucic play twice, and one of those was for Cheltenham in the pre season friendly, but I'm not sure about starting him and expecting him instantly to be the answer. He needs more games before he is thrown into the Championship, and even then he would need ALL our defenders to be on their game, not just Magnusson and Flint.

Frankie is a bit small and erratic, i do like him and he's a great character and seems popular amongst the team. I am worried about how much time he is fit and available though, when he gets injured he is often missing for months. 

O'Donnel seems a different character, quieter but very passionate on the pitch. He came here and seemed to 'get' us straight away. He always looked a more commanding , safer pair of hands to me. I hope he can get his form back and doesn't dwell on these matches. Sidwell will possibly never score another goal like that again. 

My ample gut tells he is destined for the exit in January or at the end of the season.

Archived