IGNORED

4 points from 21...

RightUpInCider

That's where we will be if lose against Reading and Birmingham... two tough away games.

So whilst I am not all "doom and gloom" we have to recognise we have work to do.

And we have to recognise that by playing GON and Smith we are not playing to our strengths.

We desperately need a right back / midfielder and striker in Jan for sure.

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It's odd how fickle this place can be. I don't religiously read every post anymore but just a couple of weeks ago the general consensus was that GON was our best player in the middle?

He has been very good, just a very poor game yesterday.

its fine in my opinion to criticise a player's performance in a single game, but it doesn't make him a bad player overnight.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He has been very good, just a very poor game yesterday.

its fine in my opinion to criticise a player's performance in a single game, but it doesn't make him a bad player overnight.

Exactly. He's been superb so far but him and Smith were poor yesterday. 

Can GON & Smith work well together, or are they too similar..?

Could Korey do a job at right back..?

I'm sure LJ will be on top of it and get them sorted out. 

Maybe we were just playing a team who were simply better than us yesterday..! 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exactly. He's been superb so far but him and Smith were poor yesterday. 

Can GON & Smith work well together, or are they too similar..?

Could Korey do a job at right back..?

I'm sure LJ will be on top of it and get them sorted out. 

Maybe we were just playing a team who were simply better than us yesterday..! 

I feel they're too similar. I'd argue that O'Neil is the better player but I think Pack and Smith is a better partnership.

13 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

I feel they're too similar. I'd argue that O'Neil is the better player but I think Pack and Smith is a better partnership.

I rate Korey as our best player last year in a struggling championship team.

This year Pack has improved alongside mainly GON and results were better so IMO it is Smith who needs dropping out the team.

50 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

That's where we will be if lose against Reading and Birmingham... two tough away games.

So whilst I am not all "doom and gloom" we have to recognise we have work to do.

And we have to recognise that by playing GON and Smith we are not playing to our strengths.

But what if we win both....?

Easy to get a bit carried away with being in the play off spots early in the season. We are destined to finish about 10th so we will have good and bad runs the season.

We are a better side than last year in a stronger division.

A couple of good signings and blooding likes of Lucic and Moore will make us a stronger side.

38 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

..but we've actually got 10 points from the last 21 so this headline is a tad misleading. You can't assume we're going to lose the next two games.

If we play as we have in the last few games , there is a good chance we could. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It's odd how fickle this place can be. I don't religiously read every post anymore but just a couple of weeks ago the general consensus was that GON was our best player in the middle?

I didn't see where the OP say GON had to be dropped. From a poor team effort  GON tried harder than most , and on a day where it wasn't quite there for him his effort and availability to receive the ball never dropped.

48 minutes ago, Neo said:

I rate Korey as our best player last year in a struggling championship team.

This year Pack has improved alongside mainly GON and results were better so IMO it is Smith who needs dropping out the team.

Pack has to come in for Smith, who I thought was poor, but there has to be a tweak to the formation too, just not working at the mo'

I thought we would finish 10th this season and that it would be a pretty good feat.... so 9th atm - bang on course, of course the season could have gone better Rotherham and Wednesday games were real kick in the teeth...but 9th I think most of us would have been happy with that at this stage of the season.

2 hours ago, RightUpInCider said:

24 points from 138. That's where we'll be if we lose every game for the rest of the season.

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I am not saying GON is a bad player.

But I do not think him and Korey should be in the same side and I also don't think Korey has done enough to warrant being first choice.

On the other hand we have played some great stuff with Reid and Pack on the pitch, both at the send of last season and this season.

1 hour ago, BITW said:

24 points from 138. That's where we'll be if we lose every game for the rest of the season.

Hardly the same likehood! 

The point is we are in poor form... we need to work out who our best team is and we need to strengthen in Jan in key areas.

I am sure we will too and will continue to improve.

But currently I don't think we are not a top 6 side.

16 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

Hardly the same likehood! 

The point is we are in poor form... we need to work out who our best team is and we need to strengthen in Jan in key areas.

I am sure we will too and will continue to improve.

But currently I don't think we are not a top 6 side.

I disagree, I don't think we are a top 6 side

The thread title is completely misleading and unhelpful.

Let's concentrate on the facts rather than speculating about worst-case scenarios. At the start of the season the consensus view was that we were likely a midtable side, with a possible outside chance of the playoffs. Well after a third of the season it appears that's exactly what we are; 7 wins, 6 defeats, 9th place and a positive goal difference. Over the course of the season there are always peaks and troughs in form; currently we're in a slight trough, but 4 points from our last 3 games is hardly disastrous! Generally speaking, we've lost to superior sides and beaten inferior ones (with one or two exceptions).

It seems to me our season is panning out exactly as we expected. I see no reason to panic any more than I see any reason to be wildly excited. There will be disappointing performances (yesterday) and impressive ones (Fulham away) along the way. But after an 18th place finish last year following two seasons in L1, I do see progress in the right direction. I'm happy enough.

Smith to right back.

Pack and GON in midfield.

Would be tempted to start with something like this:

ROD/Fielding

Smith Flint Magnusson Golbourne

GON Pack

Reid   Tomlin  Patterson - flexible attacking three, feel Bobby would thrive floating in pockets of space.

Tammy

Brighton fan here again and I'll try not to come across as either arrogant or patronising, just say as I saw it.

I only watched the game on the tellybox but for what it's worth, I didn't think you did much wrong.  We're all purring on our board at a thoroughly professional performance from probably our best squad in about 35 years.  I'm not being arrogant, merely objective, when I say I think we will probably finish in the top 2 and maybe even as champions.  I can see why some might think City made Albion look good, but if you score twice in the first 20 minutes and then see out the game, that it surely job done.

As for your lot, well you were 6th before that game and that is no accident.  You seem well organised and should have had a penalty which would have made for an interesting climax - we'd have screamed for it if it had been down the other end.  I thought your real problem was that Albion targeted your weak areas very effectively (and that we got our noses in front early on).   For example, your right back has no pace so Hughton played Murphy on that side and switched Skalk across to your left.  We also cut our the supply for Tammy Abraham so he was kept very quiet.  Not every team is going to do that as effectively.

There are about 10 teams with realistic ambitions of a 3rd to 6th place finish, and you are one of them.  Even if you lost your next two tough (away) games, it really wouldn't spell disaster because you could easily take 4-6 points from those return fixtures.  January is key.  You've got to remain quietly confident that with a chairman like yours, your team can improve further at that point.

Archived