RightUpInCider

18 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Smith to right back.

Pack and GON in midfield.

Would be tempted to start with something like this:

ROD/Fielding

Smith Flint Magnusson Golbourne

GON Pack

Reid   Tomlin  Patterson - flexible attacking three, feel Bobby would thrive floating in pockets of space.

Tammy

Not sure on two keepers, seems a bit too defensive.

1 hour ago, Simster said:

Brighton fan here again and I'll try not to come across as either arrogant or patronising, just say as I saw it.

I only watched the game on the tellybox but for what it's worth, I didn't think you did much wrong.  We're all purring on our board at a thoroughly professional performance from probably our best squad in about 35 years.  I'm not being arrogant, merely objective, when I say I think we will probably finish in the top 2 and maybe even as champions.  I can see why some might think City made Albion look good, but if you score twice in the first 20 minutes and then see out the game, that it surely job done.

As for your lot, well you were 6th before that game and that is no accident.  You seem well organised and should have had a penalty which would have made for an interesting climax - we'd have screamed for it if it had been down the other end.  I thought your real problem was that Albion targeted your weak areas very effectively (and that we got our noses in front early on).   For example, your right back has no pace so Hughton played Murphy on that side and switched Skalk across to your left.  We also cut our the supply for Tammy Abraham so he was kept very quiet.  Not every team is going to do that as effectively.

There are about 10 teams with realistic ambitions of a 3rd to 6th place finish, and you are one of them.  Even if you lost your next two tough (away) games, it really wouldn't spell disaster because you could easily take 4-6 points from those return fixtures.  January is key.  You've got to remain quietly confident that with a chairman like yours, your team can improve further at that point.

Seems like a fair assessment, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brighton finish top two. As for us, well you have to create chances to win football matches, and we didn't create any. As you said, Brighton scored two early goals and it was job done. We had a lot of possession after that, but then you'd expect that from a team chasing the game. Truth is, we did nothing with it (which is also credit to Brighton's defence, obviously).

All the best for the season.

2 hours ago, Simster said:

Brighton fan here again and I'll try not to come across as either arrogant or patronising, just say as I saw it.

I only watched the game on the tellybox but for what it's worth, I didn't think you did much wrong.  We're all purring on our board at a thoroughly professional performance from probably our best squad in about 35 years.  I'm not being arrogant, merely objective, when I say I think we will probably finish in the top 2 and maybe even as champions.  I can see why some might think City made Albion look good, but if you score twice in the first 20 minutes and then see out the game, that it surely job done.

As for your lot, well you were 6th before that game and that is no accident.  You seem well organised and should have had a penalty which would have made for an interesting climax - we'd have screamed for it if it had been down the other end.  I thought your real problem was that Albion targeted your weak areas very effectively (and that we got our noses in front early on).   For example, your right back has no pace so Hughton played Murphy on that side and switched Skalk across to your left.  We also cut our the supply for Tammy Abraham so he was kept very quiet.  Not every team is going to do that as effectively.

There are about 10 teams with realistic ambitions of a 3rd to 6th place finish, and you are one of them.  Even if you lost your next two tough (away) games, it really wouldn't spell disaster because you could easily take 4-6 points from those return fixtures.  January is key.  You've got to remain quietly confident that with a chairman like yours, your team can improve further at that point.

Can't disagree with any of this. For what it's worth, your lot were better when you spanked us 4-0 last season. I also think you were playing within yourselves and if needed could have got a third without much trouble. Brighton are a solid, well organised, quick on the break, side. So many good players in your side. Deserved winners. We were pretty toothless going forward, and yes, our right-back (Mark Little) isn't good enough for this level. But we've all known this for a while. Both our keepers aren't either.

All the best for the rest of the season. See you at The Amex in April. Our last away game of the season. Not been to the Amex yet so looking forward to it. 

2 hours ago, Simster said:

At last the, voice of reason,pretty much how I saw it,you are a very well organised team,with goals in you,top two beckons.As for us, the final ball was pretty shocking for this standard of football,still a couple of players short,we'll see what January brings.

56 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

According to Twitter GON's little giorl is in hospital. So not suprised his mind was elsewhere.

Totally understandable if he's thinking of her.

But if that's the case then surely he has a chat with LJ and Pembo and the three make the decision that GON is 1) able to play 2) wants to play and 3) should play.  If the answer to any of those questions isn't a 100% yes then we have other players who can cover.

I think he is perhaps just scared of fireworks.

18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The thread title is completely misleading and unhelpful.

Let's concentrate on the facts rather than speculating about worst-case scenarios. At the start of the season the consensus view was that we were likely a midtable side, with a possible outside chance of the playoffs. Well after a third of the season it appears that's exactly what we are; 7 wins, 6 defeats, 9th place and a positive goal difference. Over the course of the season there are always peaks and troughs in form; currently we're in a slight trough, but 4 points from our last 3 games is hardly disastrous! Generally speaking, we've lost to superior sides and beaten inferior ones (with one or two exceptions).

It seems to me our season is panning out exactly as we expected. I see no reason to panic any more than I see any reason to be wildly excited. There will be disappointing performances (yesterday) and impressive ones (Fulham away) along the way. But after an 18th place finish last year following two seasons in L1, I do see progress in the right direction. I'm happy enough.

No one is panicing.... but it is a reality check.

Every one at the club, LJ and the players, have been talking about challenging for the top 6. 

The point of this thread was to acknowledge this reality check and also to vent some frustration about Korey/GON being first on the team sheet, with both Reid and Pack struggling to get a start despite being involved in most of our great performances in 2016.

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

At last the, voice of reason,pretty much how I saw it,you are a very well organised team,with goals in you,top two beckons.As for us, the final ball was pretty shocking for this standard of football,still a couple of players short,we'll see what January brings.

It's very easy to be objective about teams other than your own, to be fair!  

20 hours ago, RightUpInCider said:

Hardly the same likehood! 

The point is we are in poor form... we need to work out who our best team is and we need to strengthen in Jan in key areas.

I am sure we will too and will continue to improve.

But currently I don't think we are not a top 6 side.

And before we were in poor form, we were in good form. It can switch like a light.

4 hours ago, Simster said:

Nice to see a reasoned post from the opposition, and pretty much how I see it.

You are right in pointing out our weak spot...RB. It's frustrating for many fans, and I suggest the same for our manager. Not sure what we can do about it until the January window. We have Little, who is 100% commitment, but not good Championship quality, and Matthews who has undeniable talent at this level, but carries a sick note.

Hope you go up...quality side.

4 hours ago, Simster said:

Just to echo what everyone else has said - Brighton are a class above City right now. The performance I saw them put in at AG last season was superb, the best I've seen in a long, long time. They are a yardstick for us, I'm happy being 9th in early Nov - I'd have snapped your hand off for that in July. If we can keep improving, and start filling the new stadium, like Brighton have done, and tweak the squad here and there and keep evolving then in another season or two (or three) then I can see us being talked about as serious contenders

I hope Brighton go up, I'd love to see them beat Newcastle to the title, doubt they will, but I suspect they will be closest to them

Good luck for the rest of the season

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nice to see a reasoned post from the opposition, and pretty much how I see it.

You are right in pointing out our weak spot...RB. It's frustrating for many fans, and I suggest the same for our manager. Not sure what we can do about it until the January window. We have Little, who is 100% commitment, but not good Championship quality, and Matthews who has undeniable talent at this level, but carries a sick note.

Hope you go up...quality side.

Agreed. When you bring in Adam Matthews, again, you'd be forgiven for thinking you've sorted it.

I think we all need to chill out. 

We are still ahead of expectation this season. The problem is that people get a sniff of the top four and we suddenly expect to be keeping pace . 

Football results often ebb and flow just like the actual games themselves. 

We will pick up again . 

Top half is still decent following last season . 

1 hour ago, RightUpInCider said:

I agree.

I think Pack and Reid playing more and Korey/GON not playing can help switch on some good form.

Likewise,  a couple of fresh faces in Jan in key positions.

Starting Korey and GON together was a huge mistake and a rather negative option taken by LJ.  GON is a good player but is no youngster now and Korey is way off his  best levels of match fitness due to his injury . Playing both gave us very little mobility in the centre of midfield . One of either Pack or Reid should have partnered GON with Korey on the bench . 

Apart from our wins against Villa and Leeds, City have struggled to score goals in open play against teams that defend deep, with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Only Lee Tomlin in our attacking midfield 3 looks capable of consistently beating defenders and creating the space for Tammy to prosper. Tammy is great holding the ball up with his back to goal and won a number of first half free kicks against Brighton, but had noone ahead of play to thread a reverse pass, save for the sublime ball which Tomlin should have struck on target after 10 minutes.

With the current squad 4-2-3-1 will only be effective when City have space and play on the counter. It's no coincidence that Tammy has scored 7 of his 9 League goals this season on the road.

Why not try 4-4-1-1 at home with the emphasis on width. It doesn't necessarily mean that Wilbraham has to start as a target man. We have 2 pacy forwards when Engvall is available to start (?) and we could practice getting behind the opposition back 4, crossing low across the 6 yard box, or to an on rushing midfielder positioned on the penalty spot and learn to drop off defenders and get goal-side. 

Let's dare to dream, or replace players who aren't good enough in the current formation.

20 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Totally understandable if he's thinking of her.

But if that's the case then surely he has a chat with LJ and Pembo and the three make the decision that GON is 1) able to play 2) wants to play and 3) should play.  If the answer to any of those questions isn't a 100% yes then we have other players who can cover.

I think he is perhaps just scared of fireworks.

I agree, I don't think he should have played but obviously wanted to. Another questionable decision from LJ.

On 06/11/2016 at 17:19, RightUpInCider said:

I am not saying GON is a bad player.

But I do not think him and Korey should be in the same side and I also don't think Korey has done enough to warrant being first choice.

On the other hand we have played some great stuff with Reid and Pack on the pitch, both at the send of last season and this season.

Well looks like today is a good chance to see how GON, Pack and Reid combine. 

Presume LJ has come to the same conclusions as many on this thread.

Fingers crossed for a decent performance.

18 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

More concerning is we're only 4 points off 20th. Couple more losses and were right back down there.

confidence in our ability to win is t great ATM personally

Just wondering which club you support.

Is it Hull, Brentford, Barnsley, Villa, Charlton, Gillingham, Wycombe, Mansfield or Notts County?

Those are the only league clubs 4 points above 20th.

15 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

This season was always about being safe with 5 or so games to go.  As it stands and with some spending in Jan we will achieve that.  

Why was this season always about being safe? I thought that was what last season was all about. We've spent a shedload on a new stadium, invested well in the team and are charging a decent whack for tickets. We should be aiming higher than survival.

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Why was this season always about being safe? I thought that was what last season was all about. We've spent a shedload on a new stadium, invested well in the team and are charging a decent whack for tickets. We should be aiming higher than survival.

The aim is progress, even after our bad recent spell, we are on a points tally that took until mid January last season, the first game under the Elliott and Pemberton co management.

That is quite clearly progress, and quite a bit at that.

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

So are lots of other teams in this league.. many of which are bigger clubs and have bigger and better squads than we do. 

I think the aim (behind closed doors between LJ and board) was probably mid table. If we looked to be pushing for play offs then LJ/Lansdown would reassess and invest heavily if needed.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The aim is progress, even after our bad recent spell, we are on a points tally that took until mid January last season, the first game under the Elliott and Pemberton co management.

That is quite clearly progress, and quite a bit at that.

I don't think anyone can knock our league position and points tally. That certainly is progress. It's also progress that we're not being steamrollered by teams (although in a few games - Villa, Norwich and yesterday), things could've turned out differently if they'd taken their chances. 

No, the only thing that concerns me is that we've already peaked this season. As I've said before, we lack pace at times, making it easy for teams to defence against us. And we need to score more goals throughout the team.

Seems to me we have put all our eggs in the Tammy basket; our lack of points and his lack of goals run in tandem (he has had chances in all the games) not knocking him but we have no-one at present to take up his mantle and score when he isn't hitting the net.

A proven goal-scorer is needed sooner rather than later; 

We need to move on now an introduce a stadium filler or two, we have enough prospects they are not yet up to championship level we need someone who is.

Archived