IGNORED

England V Scotland Natch Day Thread

Kid in the Riot

11 minutes ago, yardy said:

Lucky for us we wasn't playing a decent side we could have been 2 or 3 down, for 50 mins we was terrible and kept making sloppy mistakes.

Our 2nd goal killed the game off and we played some decent stuff after that.

Stones and Cahill together doesn't fill me with confidence they made many mistakes tonight, on the plus side Cahill misses next game with a ban.

Your right if Cahill is international level I'm Einstein 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Your right if Cahill is international level I'm Einstein 

Really lacks composure and often gets the basics wrong and for a guy that's had 50 caps? for England its quite shocking.

He is much better playing alongside a commanding centre back like JT

My interest in the England team has waned like many others, but always happy to watch us beat Scotland.

3 very good goals but otherwise little or no excitement, or atmosphere.

Pougatch was squeaking up excitedly in favour of Southgate, and urging for him to be appointed permanently before the Spain game.

Ian Wright (who could barely get a word in between the prattling McCoist and tedious Giggs, and more or less gave up trying long before the end) seemed far less keen, and rightly so imo. Despite some good individual performances, notably from from the wing backs, we looked a poor team overall tonight.

Why were Scotland given so many tickets? The maximum the F.A. were obliged to give them was 5%, or 4,500, so why give them so many more?

I thought England were sketchy (at best) when on the ball, but actually worked very, very hard off the ball, all over the pitch. It may not have come across on TV but many players, not least Sterling, put in a heck of a shift in terms of closing down any space Scotland might have exploited when in possession. Possibly Guardiola's influence starting to come through (although Sterling's decision making when in possession was infuriating at times tonight). The two full backs looked decent and any game that you win 3-0 without getting out of second gear has to be a decent night's work.

As for the atmosphere, it was certainly decent in block 134, right next to the netting separating us from the Scotland fans. Unusually for Wembley there was very little face paint in that part of the ground and it certainly had a bit of a retro feel in there.

57 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

There was a bloke in the crowd with two pints in his hand, are you allowed to drink at Wembley?

A pint in each hand = a balanced diet for a Scot.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I thought we played well, and always nice to get one over the Scots.

I thought that as well.

That said the Jocks were pretty shite but they did have a couple of decent chances but couldn't force Hart into a real save.

Southgate is an intelligent bloke but his interviews are sooooo dull........:sleeping:

Why so negative? You won 3-0. It could've been better but they moved the ball quicker and pressed a bit more. Much more enjoyable. It's not a team blessed with individual talent but the way they played last night suits them. Look at all the stick they're getting on this forum for winning 3-0. No wonder they can't be bothered. They were better last night than I've seen in months. So credit where it's due, they did well. The challenge is now keeping it up. 

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why so negative? You won 3-0. It could've been better but they moved the ball quicker and pressed a bit more. Much more enjoyable. It's not a team blessed with individual talent but the way they played last night suits them. Look at all the stick they're getting on this forum for winning 3-0. No wonder they can't be bothered. They were better last night than I've seen in months. So credit where it's due, they did well. The challenge is now keeping it up. 

11 toddlers shitting in their nappies would be an improvement over what the England team have produced over the last year or so

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

11 toddlers shitting in their nappies would be an improvement over what the England team have produced over the last year or so

Harsh - over the last 12 months England have beaten the world champions 3-2 in their own back yard, have beaten the team (Portugal) who went on to become European champions just a few weeks later, have beaten a Wales team that went on to reach the semi finals at the Euros, and have gone through 4 qualifiers without conceding a goal. This certainly doesn't excuse the performance against Iceland but there have been some positive signs.

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

England fans have been embarrassed and let down by the national side on a regular basis for decades.

We've been left bruised and battered by 50 years of hurt, and many of us have finally had our passion for the team all but extinguished, something we never thought possible.

It will take much more than a 3-0 win against a hopeless Scottish side (welcome as it was) and another damp squib managerial choice like Southgate to get my enthusiasm back.

Certainly England, despite three goals, never looked really convincing.  Scotland were just frankly poor.

Southgate looks like another So'D.  Sat there in his three piece suit (who wears three piece suits today?). He's seems simply another England manager just waiting to be caught out by better strategists.

I am certainly not expecting a great turnaround in England's fortunes anytime soon

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

England fans have been embarrassed and let down by the national side on a regular basis for decades.

We've been left bruised and battered by 50 years of hurt, and many of us have finally had our passion for the team all but extinguished, something we never thought possible.

It will take much more than a 3-0 win against a hopeless Scottish side (welcome as it was) and another damp squib managerial choice like Southgate to get my enthusiasm back.

I get the enthusiasm bit but I don't get why everyone is still finding something to complain about. They beat a team convincingly. Doesn't matter who the team is because you can only beat what is in front of you. I thought performance wise(especially with the ball) it was an improvement over any game since Germany in March. Maybe it's expecting England to be better than they are. They're what? 8-9th best team in Europe? They are never going to be serious contenders to win a tournament anytime soon. Yesterday I saw a bit of fight and desire is all I'm saying. There were still loads of mistakes but progress was there. Just seems easy to pick on England because of the past. Hopefully whoever becomes manager can build on last night and make a bit more excitement around the team. 

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get the enthusiasm bit but I don't get why everyone is still finding something to complain about. They beat a team convincingly. Doesn't matter who the team is because you can only beat what is in front of you. I thought performance wise(especially with the ball) it was an improvement over any game since Germany in March. Maybe it's expecting England to be better than they are. They're what? 8-9th best team in Europe? They are never going to be serious contenders to win a tournament anytime soon. Yesterday I saw a bit of fight and desire is all I'm saying. There were still loads of mistakes but progress was there. Just seems easy to pick on England because of the past. Hopefully whoever becomes manager can build on last night and make a bit more excitement around the team. 

Re the bit I've highlighted in red - not many people would have had Portugal down as serious contenders to win the Euros, or Wales down as serious contenders to reach the semis. England actually beat both teams in June too. Not saying we would be anywhere near favourites for the next world cup (if we qualify) but if Denmark, Greece and Portugal can win tournaments and Wales can go damn close, then it's surely not impossible for England to at least aspire to do the same.

Otherwise agree with all that you say above.

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Re the bit I've highlighted in red - not many people would have had Portugal down as serious contenders to win the Euros, or Wales down as serious contenders to reach the semis. England actually beat both teams in June too. Not saying we would be anywhere near favourites for the next world cup (if we qualify) but if Denmark, Greece and Portugal can win tournaments and Wales can go damn close, then it's surely not impossible for England to at least aspire to do the same.

Otherwise agree with all that you say above.

This is true. It's why the game is played. None of those teams would've been or will be favourites going into a tournament but you have to look at England in the same group of teams IMO. England has no more talent than any of those teams just premier league players and that's only because they're English. English players have high prices and are usually bought to make up home grown numbers(looking at you Fabian Delph). It's harsh and I wish it wasn't so but maybe if they're looked at differently than they can be appreciated from time to time. They're euros were poor but last night was a no win scenario. Lose and get slated or win and get criticised for the bad things like they should be making no mistakes and winning 10-0. Why would you put everything on the line for your country if your countrymen find any reason to criticise you. 

I went off topic but it's weird to me. I could get the stick some past England teams got because they had the talent. This England team is not even close and should be looked at differently. They did their job last night. They pressed the ball and harassed defenders. They moved the ball quickly and with purpose and they won 3-0. They deserve an applause and I hope they continue that form because it was actually watchable last night and I've seen some unwatchable games against lesser opponents than Scotland

22 hours ago, North London Red said:

Harsh - over the last 12 months England have beaten the world champions 3-2 in their own back yard, have beaten the team (Portugal) who went on to become European champions just a few weeks later, have beaten a Wales team that went on to reach the semi finals at the Euros, and have gone through 4 qualifiers without conceding a goal. This certainly doesn't excuse the performance against Iceland but there have been some positive signs.

Your on the wind up surely?

Archived