IGNORED

left behind in league 1

cityred exile

On 15/11/2016 at 10:47, Tipps69 said:

Right back at Peterborough (Michael Smith) looked a decent player on Sky at the weekend & scored a cracking goal as well. Don't know much about him but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for him.

Ex gas.

No idea & would have no bearing on me as to whether we signed him as I've no doubt that he wouldn't of been up against us many times for them as we've hardly played them over the years.

As I said, only seen him (or noticed him) during that live game on tv & he caught the eye.

JET for me has got to be the most frustrating talent.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I remember having a talent for Golf...I found it easy. But along came a group of friends, girls, booze, other interests that distracted me away from my talent.

It was not until it was too late, and I was too old, that I realised that if I had knuckled down and worked hard, then I could have made something of my natural talent.

Then again...I look at JET and see a man playing league football, cruising and taking a wage. He probably enjoys his life outside of football. and has realised with his body type, regardless of natural talent, that he isn't going to make the grade higher up the leagues.

Frustrating as a football fan...when we all look at see what could be. But in real life.......so much harder.

He really is a player that frustrates and causes my head to ache...Wenger I'm sure, must have had the same feelings.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

JET for me has got to be the most frustrating talent.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I remember having a talent for Golf...I found it easy. But along came a group of friends, girls, booze, other interests that distracted me away from my talent.

It was not until it was too late, and I was too old, that I realised that if I had knuckled down and worked hard, then I could have made something of my natural talent.

Then again...I look at JET and see a man playing league football, cruising and taking a wage. He probably enjoys his life outside of football. and has realised with his body type, regardless of natural talent, that he isn't going to make the grade higher up the leagues.

Frustrating as a football fan...when we all look at see what could be. But in real life.......so much harder.

He really is a player that frustrates and causes my head to ache...Wenger I'm sure, must have had the same feelings.

All that is true,  (well I can only take your word on the golf of course) but it is also true when he was given a run a games because of the injuries to Wilbs and Agard, he got better and fitter and he was far more involved in both attacking and defensive areas. I have always felt that he was similar to David Gower in cricket, when he was hitting 4's with graceful ease everyone loved him, when he got out nicking one instead, he was accused of being lazy and lacklustre, but to me the shots looked the same. 

The English game drools over players like JET, when they are foreign and playing in foreign leagues and we bemoan our inability to develop players that play that way. Yet when we do, we complain they don't do the tackling back or get stuck in etc. Do you remember what it was like on here when SOD was playing him and Baldock, I am sure there was a point where he was involved in every goal we scored whether scoring himself or assisting, people on here wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many goals! It's was bizarre, in american football people don't suggest dropping the quarterback because his tackling stats are low, and to me it's the same thing.

I would love to think there was a Manager out there who could build a team around JET (or someone like him), and there was a point where I thought it might be happening at some of the teams, Tottenham are possibly the closest with Dele Alli, but now it is becoming all "high press" and battling again and the environment is just not there at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

All that is true,  (well I can only take your word on the golf of course) but it is also true when he was given a run a games because of the injuries to Wilbs and Agard, he got better and fitter and he was far more involved in both attacking and defensive areas. I have always felt that he was similar to David Gower in cricket, when he was hitting 4's with graceful ease everyone loved him, when he got out nicking one instead, he was accused of being lazy and lacklustre, but to me the shots looked the same. 

The English game drools over players like JET, when they are foreign and playing in foreign leagues and we bemoan our inability to develop players that play that way. Yet when we do, we complain they don't do the tackling back or get stuck in etc. Do you remember what it was like on here when SOD was playing him and Baldock, I am sure there was a point where he was involved in every goal we scored whether scoring himself or assisting, people on here wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many goals! It's was bizarre, in american football people don't suggest dropping the quarterback because his tackling stats are low, and to me it's the same thing.

I would love to think there was a Manager out there who could build a team around JET (or someone like him), and there was a point where I thought it might be happening at some of the teams, Tottenham are possibly the closest with Dele Alli, but now it is becoming all "high press" and battling again and the environment is just not there at the moment.

Didn't Sod build the team around JET fella? I believe he did. And for all the goals he scored...look where we were in the league.

I don't blame SoD...because of a multitude of other things happening at the club at the time. we are still getting rewards from foundations he laid whilst here...but many won't realise that.

People like JEt, Gasgoigne, Best, Le Tissier, Worthington, Di Canio etc... are players that are naturally gifted, indeed Tomlin is similar. Their creativity and thinking and fleet of foot and skill is very natural. You can develop awareness and 'tactics' with such players, but you can also stifle them.

To succeed at the very top level these days, you need all the qualities of the aforementioned and such like, but also the athletisism and stamina to work a full 95 minutes.

Where in the Prem or any top league, do you see a player not giving that? Doing it every now and again is no longer allowed.

As much as we love to see the 'mavericks'....it doesn't work these days....hence why JET is playing for Gillingham, and no manager above that, who works with him 24/7 gives him a chance....it's easy for us to see the flashes of brilliance for 90 mins....but in reality it doesn't happen.

Plus...imo...I get the impression JET himself isn't bothered, as long as he's making a wage and hanging with his mates making tunes.

Archived