IGNORED

Stevie G new mk dons boss?????

I am the mole

11 hours ago, I am the mole said:

Missing in big games???

Champions league final 2005 

f.a cup final 2006 

just to name 2 off the top of my head and I'm no Liverpool fan but give him some credit!

He has scored in a league cup final, an FA cup final, a Uefa cup final, A champs league final and has scored at 2 different world cups.

As a professional player game don't get much bigger than those.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well you must be a Man U fan then. Gerrard definitely not world class? That could only be said by an Englishman, ask any other football fan around the world and they'd tell you what a great player Gerrard was.

At his prime between 2004-2006 ish he was one of the best players in the world. Kaka wanted Madrid to sign him so he could play alongside him, Inter tried to sign him to play alongside Pirlo, Mourinho tried to sign him twice, Zidane wanted Real to sign him so he could play alongside him.

Henry has said he is one of the best players he's ever faced and Pele said he was the best player in the world in 2005.

Not world class, my arse.

I hate the word 'world class' what does it mean exactly? A player that would be a class act/success anywhere in the world presumably..? That could be said of many a player IMO. I think plenty of Past English and even some present could do well and be a 'class act' in La Liga the Bundesliga or other leagues but does that indeed make them world class?

Gerrard was over-rated, technically he wasn't gifted in the way other top players have been. He was a top midfielder with bundles of energy and endeavour especially in his younger years and he optimizes the English footballer for me but he falls short of the company people put him alongside. I also dont buy the supposed Zidane Pele etc comments, i think half the time these legends make these tounge in cheek comments about Our players just to keep the English on side you know! I think our players by and large are massively under-rated throughout the globe hence the lack of proper interest from the top top clubs.

19 minutes ago, bris red said:

I hate the word 'world class' what does it mean exactly? A player that would be a class act/success anywhere in the world presumably..? That could be said of many a player IMO. I think plenty of Past English and even some present could do well and be a 'class act' in La Liga the Bundesliga or other leagues but does that indeed make them world class?

Gerrard was over-rated, technically he wasn't gifted in the way other top players have been. He was a top midfielder with bundles of energy and endeavour especially in his younger years and he optimizes the English footballer for me but he falls short of the company people put him alongside. I also dont buy the supposed Zidane Pele etc comments, i think half the time these legends make these tounge in cheek comments about Our players just to keep the English on side you know! I think our players by and large are massively under-rated throughout the globe hence the lack of proper interest from the top top clubs.

So Gerrard was over rated but our players are by large massively underrated? You've 'megged' yourself there!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

World class means to me that he'd get into the best 11 in the world. 

In his prime Gerrard would have.

While I think Steve G was a world class player, he would have been up against some serious midfielders in his day. I'm not sure he would have got in TBH Robbored. Zidane, Stoichkov, Scholes, Mascherano, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Viera, Keane, Lampard, Mattheus, Figo, Beckham etc etc.

Wonderful player yes, World class yes but I don't think he would have been in a 'best in the world' 11. Just my opinion.

Ignoring the "world class" endless bun fight. This type of scenario very rarely works out well, seems like a good idea but once these players start working as head coaches/managers with far less talented individuals than themselves frustration inevitably comes to the fore, and disaster is not far down the line.

I remember watching Burnley at AG when Chris Waddle had just taken over and he was playing at "quarter back" trying to do everything, screaming and shouting at his players for basically not being good enough and it all looking a complete mismatch and shambles.

Obviously the media are pushing for this but if I was Gerrard I would be looking at an assistant position somewhere for a couple of years possibly with some playing time mixed in.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

World class means to me that he'd get into the best 11 in the world. 

In his prime Gerrard would have.

Ahead of Zidane, Xavi, Iniesta, Viera, Scholes, Gattuso and more? Not for me.

A very talented player. But using your definition not close to being world class.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A very talented player. But using your definition not close to being world class.

It's a subjective topic. We'll agree to disagree.

Of the list you posted only Zidane was classier than Gerrard - IMO.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I always think these are rather boring and pointless debates as everyone's description of 'world class' is a bit different. 

I think though those players you listed are all different styles, under a certain system and if allowed to play a certain role - in approx 05' Gerrard probably was a world class midfielder.. (my definition of world class has always been top 5 in his position in the world but I'd differentiate between Viera or Xavi or Gerrard who were all pretty different styles).

I think if you look at the sheer grit, determination and will to win in Istanbul - that mentality is priceless and he won them that game leading by example. 

Anyway, that's all I'll say about it before it turns into a debate about stats or whether Liverpool would've won the league if shots that hit the crossbar count.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I always think these are rather boring and pointless debates as everyone's description of 'world class' is a bit different. 

I think though those players you listed are all different styles, under a certain system and if allowed to play a certain role - in approx 05' Gerrard probably was a world class midfielder.. (my definition of world class has always been top 5 in his position in the world but I'd differentiate between Viera or Xavi or Gerrard who were all pretty different styles).

I think if you look at the sheer grit, determination and will to win in Istanbul - that mentality is priceless and he won them that game leading by example. 

Anyway, that's all I'll say about it before it turns into a debate about stats or whether Liverpool would've won the league if shots that hit the crossbar count.

It's a very subjective debate, and central midfield is probably the hardest area to compare because it probably has the greatest variety of styles of player for a position. 

I'm not sure if I'd say Gerrard was world class, but quite probably the most flexible midfielder of those I listed- so possibly the highest qualityqualitru, most versatile midfielder- having played a number of different central roles for Liverpool and England.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Put very simply, Steven Gerrard is the best England midfielder since Duncan Edwards.

PS. I count Bobby Charlton as a striker.

Scholes is easily the better player and its only because he was so adapatble that he played out wide for England otherwise slippy would not have got half his caps. Massively over rated. 

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Better than Paul Scholes? Not even close, imo...

Agreed. If Stevie G was world class he was Universe class - and I mean no disservice to SG there, although I feel he was mildly overrated - but Scholes was another level and a once in a generation talent. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's a subjective topic. We'll agree to disagree.

Of the list you posted only Zidane was classier than Gerrard - IMO.

Sort of ruined that reputation for himself though didn't he?

I agree with what you say though, and SG has found himself in at least one unsavoury court case.  Personally I'd have sent him down for going out on the town in Southport, I mean really?  He was fully acquitted btw, and 'left with his reputation intact' acoording to the judge.

4 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Wow, wow, wow ............................................   Carlton Palmer ?

4 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Who is that ?? Seriously I heard the name mentioned once or twice and that says it all....:shifty:

Theres been so many one cap players for England. 

Think Baz Savage in an England shirt :shocking:

The most complete british footballer i have seen in my lifetime. Not only could he do anything and play anywhere on the pitch he was also a inspirational leader and carried his team many a time.

In his prime as a centre midfielder he could of got into any team in the world, he is class....world class!

Archived