IGNORED

west midland police

cityred exile

Can anybody explain  , when we visit   all the  west midland grounds why is there always a huge police attendance ?  Over the past seasons  at  Brum ,W B A , Wolves , Walsall  and probably Villa to come ,         It got me thinking yesterday  Do we actually have even 1 policeman at Ashton Gate ? without the obvious matches against the  ghas , Leeds Millwall ...   Is it something to do with being a city ? Because when going to other cities   notably  Sheffield , Nottingham , Derby , etc  they are also making there self known .          I assume the clubs pay the policing  bills       But who decides  on the numbers ?         Also   when the west mid teams  visit the Gate  they always  bring there own police  , Surely  we as a home team don't have to pay the bill , do we ?

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

WMP are notorious for their heavy handed approach to football fans. 

Were there any more examples of this at Brum on Saturday?

About 30 came piling into the crowd second half to sort out 1 or 2 who'd had a few shandies........needed that many of course and the look on their faces when given the opportunity showed how much they love it.....that said, was speaking to a few outside about the "Walsall play off experience" and they all said they "weren't even born then", so shows how old we are doesn't it ?? They also "alleged" to know nothing of our court case....yeah right !!

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd imagine yer average PC in the WMP wouldn't know anything about any impending cout case. Any negative information like that would be kept well above their rank for obvious reasons.

I imagine you're right. But only because it's pretty irrelevant to all but those involved. I'm not sure anything of the sort is being 'kept above anyone's rank'. 

Exact for the ones that entered into the crowd mentioned above (which seemed to fade quickly into nothing) I personally thought it was the lowest level of visible Police I have seen from the WMP for years. Much, much different experience than I've ever seen. 

We got to Brum around 9am, stayed in the town centre until about half one, didn't see any trouble at all, did the half hour walk to the ground and then back to the town centre afterwards for food, lights and a rocking German market (DJ ing Santas) except for the result we had a great time, very little Police presence at the ground or in town. Spoke to a few Brummies who seemed a bit embarrassed about the result, only had nice things to say about us.  We left around 10.30pm, long day! 

• Admin

There was a strange incident about 5 minutes from the end of the game, in the lower tier just to the right of the goal about 10/15 police came into the stand and stood on the stairs spreading out from the pitchside to the last row in the tier, they stood there for about 2 minutes, then all went back under the stand??

All very odd 

Walking back to Bordesley station talking to some blues fans they were commenting about the much higher presence around the streets and said it is only second to when they play Villa, but for other games there is a much lesser presence 

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

There was a strange incident about 5 minutes from the end of the game, in the lower tier just to the right of the goal about 10/15 police came into the stand and stood on the stairs spreading out from the pitchside to the last row in the tier, they stood there for about 2 minutes, then all went back under the stand??

All very odd 

Walking back to Bordesley station talking to some blues fans they were commenting about the much higher presence around the streets and said it is only second to when they play Villa, but for other games there is a much lesser presence 

Wasn't there a punch up amongst City fans? Saw someone throwing a punch but couldn't see much. Was sat right near the line of police. 

WMP can be excessive, but, unless it is against someone totally benign, I have come to expect a large police presence when we take large numbers away. Like it or not, we don't have a good rep, and some of the incidents at Baadiff didn't help our cause. Add to that, Birmingham's own reputation and the number of police was always likely to be high. The first time I ever went to St. Andrews (in the days of Bob Latchford, Gordon Taylor, Kenny Burns etc) I witnessed a pitched battle with both sets of supporters hurling bricks at one another.

18 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

WMP can be excessive, but, unless it is against someone totally benign, I have come to expect a large police presence when we take large numbers away. Like it or not, we don't have a good rep, and some of the incidents at Baadiff didn't help our cause. Add to that, Birmingham's own reputation and the number of police was always likely to be high. The first time I ever went to St. Andrews (in the days of Bob Latchford, Gordon Taylor, Kenny Burns etc) I witnessed a pitched battle with both sets of supporters hurling bricks at one another.

Was only snowballs, although some were loaded with ice, in the 3-2 FA Cup defeat in January 1966.

I was talking to the stewards after Fulham last year, talking about different clubs and their reputations etc. Apparently we have a name for getting flares/smoke bomb things into grounds. The stewards were told to look for that. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

B'rum was one of the roughest places to go to back in the day

I was there at the game on Saturday on duty. Myself and 1 other Avon and Somerset police officer spent the day with other wmp officers in the city centre and eventually at the ground.

there was a police presence on duty, not as big as last year, there was no disorder, 1 Bcfc fan refused entry as he was too drunk and 1 very young man ejected following some form of fight between city fans shortly after birminghams goal. Police officers were requested in by stewards as he initially did not want to leave and they felt it was best for police to assist.

i saw the incident from the pitch side and the male involved was extremely agitated and despite several other city fans trying to calm him down he didn't listen and was ejected.

the wmp then left the stand almost straight away. 

No other issues and home by 8 pm!!!

18 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I was there at the game on Saturday on duty. Myself and 1 other Avon and Somerset police officer spent the day with other wmp officers in the city centre and eventually at the ground.

there was a police presence on duty, not as big as last year, there was no disorder, 1 Bcfc fan refused entry as he was too drunk and 1 very young man ejected following some form of fight between city fans shortly after birminghams goal. Police officers were requested in by stewards as he initially did not want to leave and they felt it was best for police to assist.

i saw the incident from the pitch side and the male involved was extremely agitated and despite several other city fans trying to calm him down he didn't listen and was ejected.

Didn't know we had a local police officer reading our forum! Many thanks for the comments. Appreciated. 

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

Policing shouldn't be less robust by law enforcement agencies wanting to get back for the X Factor.

41 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Yep I am the Avon and Somerset football officer for both Bristol clubs, made a member by the mods for these type of questions!

Its just like watching the bill!

Its just like watching the bill!....:drunk2:

In all seriousness is this common practice among the forces? Do they do this with other clubs forums? 

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its just like watching the bill!

Its just like watching the bill!....:drunk2:

In all seriousness is this common practice among the forces? Do they do this with other clubs forums? 

I asked Julie if she would like to contribute on here (like Mark Kelly does) if people have policing related queries, and Julie kindly accepted that invitation. There was a post about it a while back. If you have specific queries put them in the Q&A section and Julie will do her best when she can to reply to stuff :) 

"Yep I am the Avon and Somerset football officer for both Bristol clubs, made a member by the mods for these type of questions!"

Sorry Julie, but whilst reading your post, all I could think was Gilbert and Sullivan.....Sad but true!

To the tune of Modern Major General from Pirates of Penzance (especially the last bit!)

"For my computer type knowledge though I'm canny and invisible,

Has only been enhanced with the back pass and offside rule

But still in matters Constable,

W M P to good ol' Met

I am the very model of a Mod for Avon 'n' Somerset."

Archived