IGNORED

This is why 'Managers' don't work in football...

spudski

I had this great article emailed to me today by a good friend. Some fantastic points made about managing a football club.

This is why I feel you need a team of people like we have now, rather than one man managing everything.

Quote...

Paul Tisdale has hinted his next job is more likely to be in business than football.

The Exeter City manager has been in charge since June 2006, making him the second longest-serving professional football manager in the country.

He is widely believed to have resisted offers to manage at a higher level after leading the club to back to back promotions in 2008 and 2009.

Promoted by  Bing

And speaking at a Grecians B2B networking event on Thursday, November 24, he suggested the “very unusual” environment at St James’s Park would make it difficult to work for any other club, describing Exeter as a "bubble" in a "rotten industry".

READ MORE: Chelsea confident of beating Arsenal to seal £2million deal for Exeter's Ampadu

Asked whether he sees his long-term future in football or business when the time eventually comes to move on from Exeter City, the 43-year-old said: “I don’t know. There’s so much water to go under the bridge, but I’m not sure I’d want to work for anybody else in football.

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/IMG_7225.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Copy link to paste in your message

“It would probably be business and it’s more than likely to be in that sort of Ted Baker world. I think my skills are reasonably broad. I like managing people and I’m good at detail.

“The one thing you learn with football is you just can’t afford to look two weeks ahead, which makes it so hard to get the balance right. I think management, but who knows?”

After a pause, he added: “I really fancy being a gardener. I love design, I’m very architecturally minded and I love being outdoors, so I’d really like to have a garden business.”

READ MORE: Five reasons why Exeter City's Paul Tisdale would be the perfect choice for the next England manager

Paul has made no secret of his antipathy to the world of professional football.

“I played professionally for 10 years and finished through injury and also disaffection and, I suppose, disappointment with the industry,” he said. “It’s a rotten industry and this is a nice little bubble down here at Exeter and we do things very differently.

“I retired at 26 and did not want to be part of football. I never once wanted to coach or manage. I had no affinity to the environment of the sport I was in.

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/Paul Tisdale Southampton.jpg

Paul%20Tisdale%20Southampton.jpg
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Paul Tisdale as a player for Southampton

“I went into Bath University and had an opportunity there to build something that was business related, start a football club programme, and I took into that everything I’d gained from my knowledge of Ted Baker.”

Paul has been a close friend of Ted Baker founder Ray Kelvin for more than 20 years and has taken a keen interest in the growth of his mentor’s fashion business into a billion pound global brand. The pair still speak on the phone every day.

The Grecians manager is an ambassador for Ted Baker and cited Mr Kelvin as one of the biggest influences on his life, along with his family.

READ MORE: Exeter City boss Paul Tisdale tells business leaders about his managerial philosophy and debt to Ted Baker

He added that the only football manager who inspired him was Alan Ball at Southampton.

Explaining how his role at Exeter City differs from that of many football managers, Paul said: “To be honest, 90 per cent of my job is non football. That’s the product, but the operations, the logistics and management leading up to that are huge. It’s people, it’s creating an environment, it’s looking at business, understanding the balance sheets and all those things.

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/IMG_7162.JPG

IMG_7162.JPG
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale, left, chats to guests at the business networking event

“Why I’ve stayed here and why I really enjoy it here is because I’m allowed to get on with that and be part of that but I also enjoy the family aspect we get here at Exeter City.

“Take my word for it, it’s a very, very unusual club. Whether I want to work for anybody else after this is to be discussed at a later date, but Exeter City is the one place that I’ve found there’s a home and an affinity with the club.”

He added: “I tend to be involved a lot more than your average football manager, where you’re responsible for winning on Saturday.

“I see my job as threefold. One is understanding the business of the club - and the business is unique here, as a community club.

READ MORE: Paul Tisdale's contract to be renegotiated

“Secondly, trying to develop as much as a I can: players, facilities, credibility. There’s all sorts of things that go on at Exeter City that you’re trying to develop.

“And then thirdly, it’s winning the next football match.

“When I came here for interview nearly 11 years ago that was part of the interview process: are you a win-at-all-costs manager?

“I’m not in denial – I know winning is very important because it keeps the business moving forward. It’s understanding the type of club you are working with and finding a way to develop that and be part of it.

Pinnacle

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/Paul Tisdale Pinnacle.jpg

Paul%20Tisdale%20Pinnacle.jpg
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Paul Tisdale is an ambassador for fashion brand Ted Baker

“And I think being here for 10 years plus I have been involved with so much, it’s not just the football. It’s doing your very best to try to improve the club, not just on the pitch but off it.”

In response to one supporter’s suggestion that he should focus solely on preparing the team to win matches, Paul said: “I don’t run the business, I’m part of the business, and you have to understand the business as a manager to get value for money.

“I understand results are hugely important, but if the manager just looks after the team and himself, you will not get any continuity.

“You will get one manager after another, you will lose money in the squad and salaries and the way recruitment and settlements are done, and it will be just like all the other clubs where you don’t know the value of your money.

READ MORE: Matt Grimes: Everything you need to know about the former Exeter City midfielder who's joined Leeds

“So the manager of this club needs to be involved and understand the business. If I’m looking after myself, I have a very different view of how we develop our players.”

He cited the development of Matt Grimes, who came through the club’s academy and played 58 times for Exeter before joining Swansea City at the age of 19 in January 2015, having been capped by England at under-20 level.

“You don’t sell a player like we did for £1.75 million if you don’t play him at 17 years old, if you don’t put a team around him to get the best out of him and if you don’t keep playing him when he makes mistakes,” said Paul.

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/Matt Grimes Swansea City.jpg

Matt%20Grimes%20Swansea%20City.jpg
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Matt Grimes in action for Swansea City

“If I’m a manager who’s only thinking about the next three games and looking after myself and my next job, I don’t play that young player and we don’t make £1.75 million that then pays for the astroturf we’re putting down at the training ground.

“With all due respect, business is everything – and 90 per cent of my job is business. The reason why managers fail is they don’t understand the business.”

He added: “We all look at results on a Saturday but I pride myself on the development of the club, the credibility I know we’ve earned over not just my tenure but the four or five years before that since the club came back from the brink.

“It’s amazing to get a sense of how we are perceived at other football clubs, which nine times out of 10 are a complete shambles, who lurch from one idea to another, don’t stick to a plan, don’t have an environment that cares.”

Paul contrasted the culture at Exeter City with that of another League Two club the Grecians recently visited.

“They have a certain type of owner who just wants success at any cost,” he said. “In five or six years of going there you can see the decline off the pitch.

“It comes down to do people care or not, and you can see they don’t. The stewards, the car park attendant, the kit lady, the announcer, the doctor – they are losing their commitment to the club and it’s down to the environment and how people are treated.

“The one thing we have here is everyone really cares.”

Good for him.

I was thinking about Tisdale just the other day. Unsurprisingly supporters at Exeter are losing patience with the absolutely minimal progress made by them under him over many recent years, (8 home games this season, one point!) despite him being rumoured to be by some distance the highest paid manager in the division with a contract that (up until last month when the supporters trust rightly pulled the plug on it) contained an incredible two year notice period.

Perhaps he is best off going into business, seeing as he currently cannot match the efforts of giant clubs such as Accrington Stanley and Yeovil Town with their massive resources?

Still, he does wear very nice hats...

I read that the Supporters Trust, which owns the club, requested that the Board trigger the two year notice period.

It's not that they're sacking him, rather that they're bringing his existing contract to an end.

That could of course end with his leaving but if he improves their results in the next two years it could mean his receiving a new contract on different terms.

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Is being a "nice bloke" compatible with being a successful football manager? Or any successful manager? 

I think you can be a nice person but also need to be prepared to make tough decisions. You're making decisions about players all the time keeping them happy, deciding whether to release a 19 year old who has no skills outside of being a footballer.. there are some tough decisions to make but if you can separate those into business decisions I think nice people can do it.

I think LJ seems a nice guy, Wenger too, apparently so is Southgate. That's just the first three I thought of so there must be more.

Reading that it seems that Tisdale is a telented and bright guy who has several strings to his bow but does he have the "love" of the game? No would appear to be the answer.

He has a comfortable wide ranging  job at Exeter which he enjoys but at the same time is cynical about the game.......:dunno:

Maybe a change of direction would do him good. Maybe then he'd appreciate what a cushy number he had at Exeter.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Reading that it seems that Tisdale is a telented and bright guy who has several strings to his bow but does he have the "love" of the game? No would appear to be the answer.

He has a comfortable wide ranging  job at Exeter which he enjoys but at the same time is cynical about the game.......:dunno:

Maybe a change of direction would do him good. Maybe then he'd appreciate what a cushy number he had at Exeter.

He probably has a love for the game in it's basic state, but is fed up with all the bullshit that surrounds it these days.

I can relate totally with it. I coach skiing...love being in the mountains, actually skiing and coaching people and seeing them improve...but when working in it, the Politics involved are horrendous...so much so, you end up hating what you love most.

It's why we as fans often don't understand certain situations with Pro footballers. We see it as a passion and love....they work in it every day, and see the bullshit. There is only so much you can take...regardless of how much money they throw at you.

Archived