IGNORED

Should we kick out foul language from football

Alan Dicks

6 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

In view of there being very young children in the ground?

Absolutely not! In a dedicated family area then I'd agree swearing is wholly inappropriate, but football is a passionate and emotional game, and in the heat of the moment people swear. Sanitise the game too much, and you take away what we love about it.

30 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

No, that's what the family areas are for. I think you take children to football knowing you're going to hear swearing. That's a choice you make as a parent. If it bothers you, the family area can reduce exposure to it. No need to start enforcing rules elsewhere though.

They can't stop people getting flares into grounds when, supposedly, the country is on the highest terrorsim alert, if they can't manage that then I'm pretty sure this wouldn't prove even remotely enforcable.

And no they shouldn't, that's why there's family areas.

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

But why doe's  otib have a swear filter? i cant understand as it seems most agree football and swearing go hand in hand

Why would you need to swear on a forum?  It's quite easy to get your f'ing point across without spelling it out.

10 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

But why doe's  otib have a swear filter? i cant understand as it seems most agree football and swearing go hand in hand

Some people use football to vent and get genuinely angry.. hence the swearing. I don't think you get people standing up and shouting at the screen because a forum doesn't bring out those emotions in people in quite the same way.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Some people use football to vent and get genuinely angry.. hence the swearing. I don't think you get people standing up and shouting at the screen because a forum doesn't bring out those emotions in people in quite the same way.

:blink:Blimey Foggy...have you not followed a match via the OTIB forum before? It's mental...far worse than at the ground.

I have images of many of our users being like this... ;-)

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You don`t get over to the politics and current affairs sub forum much then?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Listening to some kids speak, they swear more than adults.

Plus how can you ban swearing, when pretty much every footballer on the pitch is effing and jeffing?

I spent many years in the Lower Dolman when it was the designated family area.

Ironic to see the stewards challenging a few adults for getting carried away when we could clearly hear the players swearing every week.

Absolutely not. Football is an escape from the stress of everyday life, And I dont get the whole argument about protecting kids from it either. They are going to hear these words sooner or later whether you like it or not. And when my Dad first started taking me, he said look son, youre gonna hear bad words but just dont ever go repeating them at school or infront of family members. I understood that. Not rocket science, even for an 8 year old.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Interesting discussion  but no.

I take my 10 and 5 year old and i have no problem. its just words. trust me, all children can swear by 11, parents just dont know. id much rather control the situation, take rhe mystique out of it and teach them its only lamguahe and they just need to know the boundaries . 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Listening to some kids speak, they swear more than adults.

Yep.

Every kid at my Primary School was swearing like a Docker by the age of 6/7. It would be naive to think that kids are any different in schools across the country today.

When my Dad started taking me to football he warned me that I may hear a lot of bad language and I wasn't to repeat any of it....I thought to myself "******* hell mate, you should hear the stuff me and my friends come out with at playtime, you'd go ******* apeshit".

I suppose what kind of foul language you mean. My mum used to swear (mildly) all the time, where my dad didn't ever swear or use bad language in front of us kids. I am quite shocked when I hear parents calling their kids cnuts or using that word in everyday conversation. My friend's mum uses it all the time, I suppose I find it a bit weird because I'm not used to it.

16 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I suppose what kind of foul language you mean. My mum used to swear (mildly) all the time, where my dad didn't ever swear or use bad language in front of us kids. I am quite shocked when I hear parents calling their kids cnuts or using that word in everyday conversation. My friend's mum uses it all the time, I suppose I find it a bit weird because I'm not used to it.

So you should be! Completely inexcusable.

Nah

With regards to kids being at the ground, when I was younger my Dad would take me to City, Mangotsfield, Manor Farm and Hallen, and he said to me I'd likely hear swearing, but am not allowed to repeat it.

Though there were a few years before he even said that to me, think the conversation came up after I copied someone in the crowd. When I was a bit older it was OK if I was just joining in with the crowd, but not a away from football.

My mother on the other hand used to tease me if I didn't join in and encourage me to. I recall one game (possibly Huddersfield about 11 years ago) which had about 7 goals, huddersfield (if it was them) going ahead 3 times and each time this gert huge bloke took his top off and swing it around his head- cue almost every City fan at the match to start shouting "You fat bar-steward" the exception being me, joining in as much as "you fat ...."

Archived