IGNORED

Eighteen games into the season, what do you think?

Jerseybean

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed after a bright and encouraging start. We’ve lost points in games we should have won. Or at least drawn. Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Barnsley. We took 2 points. We should have won all of these games, but for various reasons threw it away.

My worry is that, bar Fulham away, have we actually played well for 90 mins, or close to, this season? I don’t think we have. I’m extremely concerned at inept pedestrian first halves. What the hell was that first half all about on Sat? We were barely moving. And Reading didn’t exactly move the ball at pace, like Brighton. They just used it efficiently and used the space excellently. Watching Reading just showed how badly we’re lacking width. And that means very few crosses. I think I’m right in saying all of Tammy’s goals have come in or around the six yard box. Sticking him up top alone is not working. It may have worked in August and Sept, but it’s not anymore. He’s regularly marked by 2-3 players. He’s spending most of the game with his back to goal. He needs quick low crosses in to the box.

Second half v Birmingham also highlights our deficiencies. We were excellent. Played some of our best football this season. Free flowing slick stuff, chance after chance, but we still couldn’t score. People think that if we’re creating chances the goals and wins will come. I’ll remind you what happened in the first half of last season. All those first few games at home. The amount of chances we created and squandered. We don’t need to have 25 shots at goal.

Some of our finishing remains wild. O’Neil’s goal was a rarity: a decent shot outside the box. 95% of the time our shooting is dire.

We waste our set pieces. How many corners did we have at Birmingham? 11. Birmingham had 2. And they scored from one. We’re not playing brilliant sides (Brighton aside. When we played Newcastle their season had barely got going). We’re playing sides who know how to be clinical and not waste 10 good chances a game. We’ve lost to very average sides like QPR and Cardiff. Games where we barely turned up.

Forget waiting for the January transfer window. Who do you think we’re going to sign if we’re in the bottom half? It’ll be loans. We need to be top 10 to be able to attract half decent players.

Our second striker is 37 years old and plays the odd 15-20 mins here or there. We signed Engvall who was injured. Then not match fit. Then not Championship fit. Tammy needs help now. He worked his socks off on Saturday but he can’t do it all alone. And you can tell he’s getting frustrated. And he’s missing chances he would have scored a few weeks ago.

December is now a crucial month. 6 games, 3 at home and 3 away. We need to win at least 2 of our home games and get at least 1 point away. At least. That will at least keep us roughly where we are. We fail to win any of our home games next month, we won’t be far off the bottom 6. I’ve stopped thinking certain games are “winnable” at this level. Because being honest, bar the odd couple, they all are. But then our opposition will be thinking the same about us.

A change in tactics and formation needed for Saturday. This crazy league means we’re only two consecutive wins from shooting up several places. But we must start having good goal-scoring first halves sooner rather than later.

I was pleased with progress but now I'm nowhere near as sure. We have now lost six out of eight and if this continues, then the Big "R" looms, We've been caught up by sides like Ipswich, Villa and Forest who were ten points behind us a few weeks ago. Three more away matches loom and when did we last win at Wolves and Ipswich. And the home games do not look any better. We have PNE, lost our last two at home, Ipswich who are on a roll and Brentford.

If we get better than one win and two draws, I'll be very surprised. The majority of our side is still those left by Cotterill and many are clearly not good enough for the Championship, Tomlin hasn't set the world alight like he did last season and we are relying on a nineteen year old, who will be a very good striker when he matures, but who is struggling to play the "one up front" role and score goals.

My pessimistic side has definitely re-surfaced again with a vengeance. Come on City, prove me wrong, but history tells me that we should be seriously concerned.

PS. The pedestrian first halves mentioned by Fat Cigar above are reminding me of the last couple of Daddy Johnson years when we were as dull as ditchwater in every first half, only coming alive after the half time rocket. 

While out and about this morning I got to thinking about our playoff season and how this one compares with it up to now.

Just checked the stats and in 07/08 after eighteen games we had 28 points. We`d just come off a poorish run of three defeats and two draws in five and were about to embark on a run of four wins and a draw before Christmas and got two wins out of three over the holidays, the defeat being the 4-1 stuffing at Baggies.

It would be nice to think there were some parallels there.

On 28/11/2016 at 10:49, Fat Cigar said:

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed after a bright and encouraging start. We’ve lost points in games we should have won. Or at least drawn. Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Barnsley. We took 2 points. We should have won all of these games, but for various reasons threw it away.

My worry is that, bar Fulham away, have we actually played well for 90 mins, or close to, this season? I don’t think we have. I’m extremely concerned at inept pedestrian first halves. What the hell was that first half all about on Sat? We were barely moving. And Reading didn’t exactly move the ball at pace, like Brighton. They just used it efficiently and used the space excellently. Watching Reading just showed how badly we’re lacking width. And that means very few crosses. I think I’m right in saying all of Tammy’s goals have come in or around the six yard box. Sticking him up top alone is not working. It may have worked in August and Sept, but it’s not anymore. He’s regularly marked by 2-3 players. He’s spending most of the game with his back to goal. He needs quick low crosses in to the box.

Second half v Birmingham also highlights our deficiencies. We were excellent. Played some of our best football this season. Free flowing slick stuff, chance after chance, but we still couldn’t score. People think that if we’re creating chances the goals and wins will come. I’ll remind you what happened in the first half of last season. All those first few games at home. The amount of chances we created and squandered. We don’t need to have 25 shots at goal.

Some of our finishing remains wild. O’Neil’s goal was a rarity: a decent shot outside the box. 95% of the time our shooting is dire.

We waste our set pieces. How many corners did we have at Birmingham? 11. Birmingham had 2. And they scored from one. We’re not playing brilliant sides (Brighton aside. When we played Newcastle their season had barely got going). We’re playing sides who know how to be clinical and not waste 10 good chances a game. We’ve lost to very average sides like QPR and Cardiff. Games where we barely turned up.

Forget waiting for the January transfer window. Who do you think we’re going to sign if we’re in the bottom half? It’ll be loans. We need to be top 10 to be able to attract half decent players.

Our second striker is 37 years old and plays the odd 15-20 mins here or there. We signed Engvall who was injured. Then not match fit. Then not Championship fit. Tammy needs help now. He worked his socks off on Saturday but he can’t do it all alone. And you can tell he’s getting frustrated. And he’s missing chances he would have scored a few weeks ago.

December is now a crucial month. 6 games, 3 at home and 3 away. We need to win at least 2 of our home games and get at least 1 point away. At least. That will at least keep us roughly where we are. We fail to win any of our home games next month, we won’t be far off the bottom 6. I’ve stopped thinking certain games are “winnable” at this level. Because being honest, bar the odd couple, they all are. But then our opposition will be thinking the same about us.

A change in tactics and formation needed for Saturday. This crazy league means we’re only two consecutive wins from shooting up several places. But we must start having good goal-scoring first halves sooner rather than later.

At Fulham after the early goal we were chasing shadows until half time(fortunate to still be one up) and first 15mins of second half,same.

Second goal opened up space and we filled our boots.. fantastic last 30,but no way was it a 90 minute performance.

Agree we need a 'freshen up and an experienced new face or two in new year for me can't come quickly enough as our lack of striking options is of course a serious issue.

31 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

At Fulham after the early goal we were chasing shadows until half time(fortunate to still be one up) and first 15mins of second half,same.

Second goal opened up space and we filled our boots.. fantastic last 30,but no way was it a 90 minute performance.

Agree we need a 'freshen up and an experienced new face or two in new year for me can't come quickly enough as our lack of striking options is of course a serious issue.

Of course it was 90 minute performance. In an ultra competitive Championship you aren't going to dominate a game for 90mins. In the Fulham game, we got the early goal, then defended it and then went on and won comfortably. Sounds like a 90 min performance to me.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:11, cidered abroad said:

I was pleased with progress but now I'm nowhere near as sure. We have now lost six out of eight and if this continues, then the Big "R" looms, We've been caught up by sides like Ipswich, Villa and Forest who were ten points behind us a few weeks ago. Three more away matches loom and when did we last win at Wolves and Ipswich. And the home games do not look any better. We have PNE, lost our last two at home, Ipswich who are on a roll and Brentford.

If we get better than one win and two draws, I'll be very surprised. The majority of our side is still those left by Cotterill and many are clearly not good enough for the Championship, Tomlin hasn't set the world alight like he did last season and we are relying on a nineteen year old, who will be a very good striker when he matures, but who is struggling to play the "one up front" role and score goals.

My pessimistic side has definitely re-surfaced again with a vengeance. Come on City, prove me wrong, but history tells me that we should be seriously concerned.

PS. The pedestrian first halves mentioned by Fat Cigar above are reminding me of the last couple of Daddy Johnson years when we were as dull as ditchwater in every first half, only coming alive after the half time rocket. 

the majority of our side is those left by cotteril

so do:

O'Donnell

Lucic

Goldbourne

Matthews

Moore

Elkstrand

Magnusson

O'Neil

Brownhill

Patterson

O'Dowda

Tammy

Engvall

and Tomlin

not count?

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

the majority of our side is those left by cotteril

so do:

O'Donnell

Lucic

Goldbourne

Matthews

Moore

Elkstrand

Magnusson

O'Neil

Brownhill

Patterson

O'Dowda

Tammy

Engvall

and Tomlin

not count?

Only 5 of those started on Saturday, so no matter how many LJ has signed the majority of the team he's picking at the moment were here under Cotts.

I wouldn't bet against that majority increasing against Ipswich either.

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

We've played 10 away games and 8 home games,let's see what our next 2 home games bring for a fairer reflection.

3 out of 4 next games are at home, and all are winnable. Ipswich Preston and Brentford. If we want play off ambitions we simply have to pick up points from those ties.

4 hours ago, Big C said:

Of course it was 90 minute performance. In an ultra competitive Championship you aren't going to dominate a game for 90mins. In the Fulham game, we got the early goal, then defended it and then went on and won comfortably. Sounds like a 90 min performance to me.

Were you there??

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 01:04, JoeAman08 said:

I'm disappointed with the season so far. I think we should be a top 10 side. Sure we aren't miles off that but good teams don't go through a rut like we are currently in. We are young but not so much in the starting XI and that's where the disappointment comes from. It's also disappointing knowing if we don't pick up at least half the points available in December that we'll struggle getting players to come in January. 

I think too many players aren't making the impact they should. Tomlin should be scoring and assisting more along with Paterson and Freeman who've been the majority attacking players. Reid is our second highest goal scorer and from a deeper central midfield spot. Joe Bryan is anonymous too often. Flint needs be more effective on set pieces from both an attacking and defending standpoint. 

Seriously Joe? I usually find your posts very reflective of reality.

We are just one point off being that 'Top 10' side.

One more win and we would be sitting in 8th place.

Scored more than we've conceded.

We are only a third of the way into the season and have done far better than far bigger and more established clubs.

This is only our second season up...a squad in transition and have had only 1 transfer window.

We've made massive improvements integrally and have a young intelligent forward thinking manager.

This is a league of minuscule differences. I can't believe how much we've changed in one season.

To say 'disappointed' I can't understand.

I believe it's that's way of thinking, that causes too much pressure on our Club, players and managers.

We have no history as such, to be any better than what we are now. In fact we are over achieving on average with our position.

It's great to have 'dreams'...but with respect...I'm really surprised you think this way, as you are usually most rational.

I do agree all our players could do better...but then I'm sure most other clubs are saying that as well...especially the established teams below us.

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Seriously Joe? I usually find your posts very reflective of reality.

We are just one point off being that 'Top 10' side.

One more win and we would be sitting in 8th place.

Scored more than we've conceded.

We are only a third of the way into the season and have done far better than far bigger and more established clubs.

This is only our second season up...a squad in transition and have had only 1 transfer window.

We've made massive improvements integrally and have a young intelligent forward thinking manager.

This is a league of minuscule differences. I can't believe how much we've changed in one season.

To say 'disappointed' I can't understand.

I believe it's that's way of thinking, that causes too much pressure on our Club, players and managers.

We have no history as such, to be any better than what we are now. In fact we are over achieving on average with our position.

It's great to have 'dreams'...but with respect...I'm really surprised you think this way, as you are usually most rational.

I do agree all our players could do better...but then I'm sure most other clubs are saying that as well...especially the established teams below us.

Maybe it's the way my post is looked at. I believe on paper we are just outside the top 6. I know our point total is a close reflection of that but I was hoping for a bit more consistency this far in. Point being I think we are as talented as anyone that hasn't just come down and a couple teams that were up in the playoffs last year. Maybe some early performances swayed me into thinking we can be better but that's my belief now. We can dominate teams even if we don't put them away. It's almost as if we are being beaten as the favourite of that makes sense. We usually have the bulk of possession and chances yet find a way to lose. 

So yea for me I'm a bit disappointed but only because I believe we're better than we've been playing recently. Even our strugglers can be top half talent we just aren't getting that out of them all the time yet.

As far as history, I've got little history with the club. I'm quite new to following and while I can read back and brush up on what's happened in the past, all I see is what's ahead and it's bright. Big believer in the way the club is running and maybe it's why I expect a bit more so far. I can see losing some games and not getting results I expect or want but the last 8 games is a large sample size and I think we're better than that. Even an average points return in there against a few beatable teams would see us still in the top 8 but more importantly keep that positive energy going. A struggle like we've been on can spiral out of control. Hopefully a win on Saturday and we'll see normal service resumed. 

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe it's the way my post is looked at. I believe on paper we are just outside the top 6. I know our point total is a close reflection of that but I was hoping for a bit more consistency this far in. Point being I think we are as talented as anyone that hasn't just come down and a couple teams that were up in the playoffs last year. Maybe some early performances swayed me into thinking we can be better but that's my belief now. We can dominate teams even if we don't put them away. It's almost as if we are being beaten as the favourite of that makes sense. We usually have the bulk of possession and chances yet find a way to lose. 

So yea for me I'm a bit disappointed but only because I believe we're better than we've been playing recently. Even our strugglers can be top half talent we just aren't getting that out of them all the time yet.

As far as history, I've got little history with the club. I'm quite new to following and while I can read back and brush up on what's happened in the past, all I see is what's ahead and it's bright. Big believer in the way the club is running and maybe it's why I expect a bit more so far. I can see losing some games and not getting results I expect or want but the last 8 games is a large sample size and I think we're better than that. Even an average points return in there against a few beatable teams would see us still in the top 8 but more importantly keep that positive energy going. A struggle like we've been on can spiral out of control. Hopefully a win on Saturday and we'll see normal service resumed. 

Fair play fella.

I think we are doing ok.

I think LJ is doing the right thing. I don't think our dip in results is down to tactics at all.

Our form is still good. We are creating chances and aren't conceding loads. A positive GD. And bossing games often. The difference to before, is individual 'errors', lapses in concentration, not finishing and some bad luck.

It's such small details. We have played worse in a lot of games and won them.

We need to keep doing the same things and our 'luck' will change.

We have individually talented young players in the squad. A lot are still learning at this level. When I look at our players on paper...I see a mid to lower mid table team. Based on time together and experience at this level. I think we have done well tbh.

I'm enjoying watching the team develop. Watching those who are not progressing and will be replaced eventually. It's all part of building a team.

reasonably happy, we haven't really been outclassed and have been on unlucky at times this season,

we've played some good football and I think 10th - 13th is a true reflection of where we are as a team at the moment,

as much as I love them as players I feel we need to improve on Flint Fielding and pack, and that would be may main area to strengthen this coming transfer window, oh and a striker,

I think upper mid-table this season aiming for the play-offs next season

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

"on paper".  Why do people ever say this about football teams?  It's wishful thinking.  

As for dominating teams, we've done this once against Fulham and have done it when behind at home against the likes of Villa, Forest and Wigan, but until we actually begin playing well in the first half of games, we'll struggle more and more.  You simply can't keep on coming back from a losing position to a winning one.  Teams are settling into patterns of play and are getting better at seeing games out.  Too often Tammy is completely isolated in the first half and it's only when something changes that we start getting a foothold in games.  

Personally, I'm a little worried and would love to see the side show more intent at the start of games.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

"on paper".  Why do people ever say this about football teams?  It's wishful thinking.  

As for dominating teams, we've done this once against Fulham and have done it when behind at home against the likes of Villa, Forest and Wigan, but until we actually begin playing well in the first half of games, we'll struggle more and more.  You simply can't keep on coming back from a losing position to a winning one.  Teams are settling into patterns of play and are getting better at seeing games out.  Too often Tammy is completely isolated in the first half and it's only when something changes that we start getting a foothold in games.  

Personally, I'm a little worried and would love to see the side show more intent at the start of games.

That's what I mean with on paper though. I'm worried with our form because I think we've got above average to star talent at most positions in our starting XI. Only the teams that come down and teams like Brighton do I think we are at a mismatch talent wise. Everyone else we should be on par or better. It is tiny margins though. We'll be fine but I don't think with the talent we have we should have this low points return over the last 8. Performances have been good most of the time which is encouraging though

Archived