IGNORED

Gustav Engvall

Londoner

Good to see him get ago today...quite direct and made some interesting runs.

He was getting into pockets of space that other city players don't, it was good to see and even though he didn't get a lot of the ball, definately showed he could play behind the striker.

LJ will clearly struggle finding his best position.

Wilbs can still do a job, but a front 4 as such of Engvall, Reid and Tomlin behind Tammy could present a real threat with quick play movement and a bit of creativity.

Only 15 minutes, but impressed with his movement and ability to get into space....however was evident that City players weren't spotting his runs.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

He was getting into pockets of space that other city players don't, it was good to see and even though he didn't get a lot of the ball, definately showed he could play behind the striker.

Wilbs can still do a job, but a front 4 as such of Engvall, Reid and Tomlin behind Tammy could present a real threat with quick play movement and a bit of creativity.

Only 15 minutes, but impressed with his movement and ability to get into space....however was evident that City players weren't spotting his runs.

Yeah , it's not like his team mates have never played with him . :whistle2:

10 hours ago, Londoner said:

Oh dear not another quality player too good for the rest of a City team. 

If so, he joins a long long list including Jacki, Hartley, Milton, Crowe and many many more, not least Big John himself

39 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh dear not another quality player too good for the rest of a City team. 

If so, he joins a long long list including Jacki, Hartley, Milton, Crowe and many many more, not least Big John himself

I don't think that's what's being said. No one has seen enough of Engvall to put him in that bracket yet anyway.

I'm baffled by the GE scenario. On the rare occasions we've seen him he's looked bright IMO, yet just when you think we might see a bit more he disappears! I've heard loads of injury rumours, settling in issues, that we've made a big mistake, he's only 20, and that he just ain't no good etc etc - I'd just like the opportunity to see a bit more and make up my mind once and for all...

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yeah , it's not like his team mates have never played with him . :whistle2:

In fact they haven't played that much with him in a SBC game. He's not been available largely through injury and has only recently started to feature. It's bound to take games to get familiar with his game.

I find it strange that in another Engval thread people were writing him off on very scant evidence, for me I would asking more questions about O'Dowda and Paterson, who have hardly set the division on fire with far more game time or perhaps even the signing of naughty boy Matthews or Eckstrand.

And just for the record I believe them all to be good signings but thought a little sharing of the scapegoat tag might add a bit of balance on 5 players who for various reasons have failed to consistently deliver.

15 minutes ago, Redandy said:

Very quick. I thought pace worried defenders. So why does he never get on before Wilbs. Another piece of LJ's thinking I struggle  to understand along with Korey Smith as an unused sub.One of the best players at the club. 

Korey hasn't been good enough since coming back, too similar to O'Neil who is clearly above him in both of quality and pecking order.

Korey will have to bide his time, for me I agree with the changes LJ made yesterday with the exception of o'dowda for Paterson.

Engvall is an exciting prospect from what I've seen, which admittedly is only about 90 minutes of football.

Londoner sums it up well for me including the dilemma of where to play him. 

On current form I would be tempted to play him instead of Paterson. Engvall is quick and not scared to get to the byline.

He might be a bit more scared now after getting a rollicking from O'Neil yesterday for running the ball out of play by a fraction, but at least he was trying to get in behind for a cross. 

LJ admitted in his press conference before the game that a Premier League club had watched City training in the week and the player they asked about was Engvall. I hope we see a bit more of him from now on. 

Engval cameo was promising. Good pace and capacity to run in behind. Still a bit green - e.g. he ran the ball out after our penalty shout when just needed to keep the ball in play. Look forward to seeing more of him. 

Not sure if it's really and / or with Wilbs - LJ seems to send latter on to take the heat of Tammy and let's him run into spaces as the game progresses. Engvall offers something else - certainly not a lone striker. Given results he should've done enough to earn a start ahead of, e.g. Paterson, who's been off form after a good start. 

29 minutes ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

Engval cameo was promising. Good pace and capacity to run in behind. Still a bit green - e.g. he ran the ball out after our penalty shout when just needed to keep the ball in play. Look forward to seeing more of him. 

Not sure if it's really and / or with Wilbs - LJ seems to send latter on to take the heat of Tammy and let's him run into spaces as the game progresses. Engvall offers something else - certainly not a lone striker. Given results he should've done enough to earn a start ahead of, e.g. Paterson, who's been off form after a good start. 

Understatement of the year, Paterson has been virtually anonymous in his last 5 outings. Agree he looked promising in his first couple of games for us but the last 5 he has just not got into the games at all. I'd give him a spell in the reserves, perhaps we are seeing why Forest were not bothered at losing him.

11 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Understatement of the year, Paterson has been virtually anonymous in his last 5 outings. Agree he looked promising in his first couple of games for us but the last 5 he has just not got into the games at all. I'd give him a spell in the reserves, perhaps we are seeing why Forest were not bothered at losing him.

We played very well at Birmingham,to a man.. no exception.

5 hours ago, Redandy said:

Very quick. I thought pace worried defenders. So why does he never get on before Wilbs. Another piece of LJ's thinking I struggle  to understand along with Korey Smith as an unused sub.One of the best players at the club. 

I should have thought that was obvious.

Wilbs came on and scored the winner in our last win, has played excellently as a sub and earler in the season helped us to "see out" several wins.

Father time is of course catching up with him, but Wilbs' contributions this season overall have been very good.

As for Smith he was simply awful in his last start for us and we do have loads of other central midfielders..

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Harsh did very well for the assist which Bobby somehow managed to mess up.....and for me by far our most effective wide player, based on so far.

O'Dowda has been the biggest disappointment for me....seems to have little but pace....

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

Harsh did very well for the assist which Bobby somehow managed to mess up.....and for me by far our most effective wide player, based on so far.

O'Dowda has been the biggest disappointment for me....seems to have little but pace....

Not sure having the ball shoved into your face at point blank is quite the same as messing up.

Though if you keep repeating the myth it does tend to stick.

21 hours ago, BS3City said:

I'm baffled by the GE scenario. On the rare occasions we've seen him he's looked bright IMO, yet just when you think we might see a bit more he disappears! I've heard loads of injury rumours, settling in issues, that we've made a big mistake, he's only 20, and that he just ain't no good etc etc - I'd just like the opportunity to see a bit more and make up my mind once and for all...

To be honest, being only 20 is a pathetic excuse

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

In fact they haven't played that much with him in a SBC game. He's not been available largely through injury and has only recently started to feature. It's bound to take games to get familiar with his game.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's a "whoosh" for you Phileas..........:facepalm:

Oh the irony.....

In all the years I have been a City fan (and that's a long time) when we have found a talent we do not use and dare I say treat him fairly in that we don't give them the opportunity they deserve. We have them on the bench, give them a few minutes off the bench. Is it because when we have a talent we don't have the experience of how to use them. It worries me when I hear that a Prem team starts to look at the talent we have yet we don't have the guts to give them the chance that they possibly deserve.

If O'dowda and Paterson can get in the side why can't we give Engvall a chance ? I just feel that something is wrong somewhere or am I not seeing the bigger picture ?

Signed Frustrated Fan.

40 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Since when was a footballer not ready at 20? 

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous statement. Many players improve hugely between 20-25. Our own players - Reid and Bryan. Neither were championship level at 20 - now, with a few years experience, both of them hold their own at this level quite comfortably. 

Players need time - not every player is a boy wonder at 18 like Rooney or Owen. I think that's partly why our national team is poor - we expect too much too early. Our own fans are a bit guilty of it with Abraham. 

Players get stronger, more experienced and more able as they get older. 20 is no age, he's got lots of time to improve and we should give it to him.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

If it was the incident I'm thinking of, ONeil was clearly telling him he should have gone down to get a penalty. 

From that one cameo saturday and the Fulham game a few weeks ago, I would say he is very quick but also very raw - needs a few more sub appearances maybe.

I thought very much the same

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous statement. Many players improve hugely between 20-25. Our own players - Reid and Bryan. Neither were championship level at 20 - now, with a few years experience, both of them hold their own at this level quite comfortably. 

Players need time - not every player is a boy wonder at 18 like Rooney or Owen. I think that's partly why our national team is poor - we expect too much too early. Our own fans are a bit guilty of it with Abraham. 

Players get stronger, more experienced and more able as they get older. 20 is no age, he's got lots of time to improve and we should give it to him.

He's got lots of time to improve, but we don't! Our attacking options are threadbare.

I agree that Engvall may not be the finished article yet, but at 20 years old I'm sure he can manage more than a few minutes' cameo every now and again. Countless players have been regular starters at this level and above at the age of 17 or 18.

Archived