IGNORED

Gustav Engvall

Londoner

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He's got lots of time to improve, but we don't! Our attacking options are threadbare.

I agree that Engvall may not be the finished article yet, but at 20 years old I'm sure he can manage more than a few minutes' cameo every now and again. Countless players have been regular starters at this level and above at the age of 17 or 18.

Which is what I mentioned above, there's loads of reasons why he may not be ready. Just because some players are ready doesn't apply that rule to all players. We don't know what those reasons for him not playing are; maybe it was the injuries.. maybe he's not quite good enough yet.. we don't know.

I'd have liked to have seen him more regularly too but I trust the management must have their reasons.

You should direct your frustration not at Engvall but at the failure to recruit a player to replace Kodjia and to compete with Abraham. It was a glaring oversight and we're weaker for it. I'm sure they tried to bring one in, just such a shame they couldn't and we are paying the price.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Which is what I mentioned above, there's loads of reasons why he may not be ready. Just because some players are ready doesn't apply that rule to all players. We don't know what those reasons for him not playing are; maybe it was the injuries.. maybe he's not quite good enough yet.. we don't know.

I'd have liked to have seen him more regularly too but I trust the management must have their reasons.

You should direct your frustration not at Engvall but at the failure to recruit a player to replace Kodjia and to compete with Abraham. It was a glaring oversight and we're weaker for it. I'm sure they tried to bring one in, just such a shame they couldn't and we are paying the price.

Fair points. I think it's pretty shoddy that we don't know the reasons. It's quite disrespectful towards the fans that we're left in the dark about these things

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous statement. Many players improve hugely between 20-25. Our own players - Reid and Bryan. Neither were championship level at 20 - now, with a few years experience, both of them hold their own at this level quite comfortably. 

Players need time - not every player is a boy wonder at 18 like Rooney or Owen. I think that's partly why our national team is poor - we expect too much too early. Our own fans are a bit guilty of it with Abraham. 

Players get stronger, more experienced and more able as they get older. 20 is no age, he's got lots of time to improve and we should give it to him.

:facepalm:

Thats two "whooshes" in the same thread Phileas.

Archived