IGNORED

Bobby Reid

formerly known as ivan

Still a hard one to work out for me whether or not I think he is at the standard required.

Has glimpses of brilliance but far to inconsistent. I know he has chipped in with a few goals this season but he certainly should have had more, Cardiff, QPR and Reading being three unbelievable chances missed off the top of my head.

Not saying he is a bad player by any means but if we want to get where we want to be is Reid good enough for the journey?

Does he get let off the hook because he is one of our own?

Personally for me I would say squad player at best with some impact from the bench. In CM I would rather have GON, Smith or Pack ahead of him and as an AM Tomlin or Paterson with O'Dowda or Freeman wide. If we went 442 I don't see where Reid would fit in at all.

He will be 24 in January as well so can't be looked at as an up and coming youngster forever.

21 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Still a hard one to work out for me whether or not I think he is at the standard required.

Has glimpses of brilliance but far to inconsistent. I know he has chipped in with a few goals this season but he certainly should have had more, Cardiff, QPR and Reading being three unbelievable chances missed off the top of my head.

Not saying he is a bad player by any means but if we want to get where we want to be is Reid good enough for the journey?

Does he get let off the hook because he is one of our own?

Personally for me I would say squad player at best with some impact from the bench. In CM I would rather have GON, Smith or Pack ahead of him and as an AM Tomlin or Paterson with O'Dowda or Freeman wide. If we went 442 I don't see where Reid would fit in at all.

He will be 24 in January as well so can't be looked at as an up and coming youngster forever.

laughable.

Short answer:  Combined Goals and assists this season:

Abraham: 14

Tomlin: 8

Reid: 5

O'Neil 4

O'Dowda 3

Paterson 3

Wilbraham 3

Bryan 2 

Little 2

Flint 1

Golbourne 1

Magnusson 1

Pack 1

Everyone else: 0

I'm not saying Reid is perfect but right now he's pretty low on the list of players who are struggling to deliver the goods...

Yea the more he's in those positions the better. His composure will only improve. He is always looking to go forward and is a risk taker but in a good way. He's not afraid to try a deadly through ball or shoot from deep. His style will be rewarding just needs to nail down that consistency in front of goal. He's been one of the more dangerous attacking midfielders I've seen this season 

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Think I prefer a CM who gets in those positions to miss them rather  than one of the others mentioned who never seem to be that position 

The end result is still the same! Why not have a CM who gets into good positions and scores?

Keep Bobby in, he looks like he is still least on Tomlin's wavelength. I've posted elsewhere at least he was driving the ball forward and looked to be looking for a goal from himself or other players. Korey returned from injury and had one brilliant game, then a stinker, now he can't get back in the team. Pack has been blowing hot and cold too, Freeman has missed a few games but even if he comes back he's still Marmite and pretty much goal barren.

At one stage yesterday, think it was just after Tomlin went off, I did wonder if you put Tammy and Wilbs aside where the goals were in the team. It just seemed a long time since we scored and although we had chances no one clinical enough to finish.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Because they cost millions of pounds and are outside our price bracket?

What is our price bracket? We've paid millions for Gustav Engvall and Taylor Moore and they are regarded as long-term signings. If we can pay to sign players who don't immediately figure in the first team plans, what could we afford for someone who might actually start? Plus, don't for get City's new super duper scouting network! There are players abroad who have the ability but are a lot cheaper than some of the over paid Premier League players.

To be fair to the original poster, I think it is more a case of how Reid fits into this team. He is still fairly inconsistent but much better and improving, his main competitor for the central AM position is Tomlin who is a better player. I don't think his best position is one of the two central deep lying midfield positions and he is not a wide player. I think inevitable he will drop to a squad player as we reinforce over time.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Short answer:  Combined Goals and assists this season:

Abraham: 14

Tomlin: 8

Reid: 5

O'Neil 4

O'Dowda 3

Paterson 3

Wilbraham 3

Bryan 2 

Little 2

Flint 1

Golbourne 1

Magnusson 1

Pack 1

Everyone else: 0

I'm not saying Reid is perfect but right now he's pretty low on the list of players who are struggling to deliver the goods...

Freeman?

Think Reid has definitely shown he is a good enough player this season.

Also keep seeing people bring up the Cardiff miss which was a quite brilliant block by Bamba, and yesterdays miss and while you could say he could have done better, to label it as missing an open goal is pure falsehood. The initial shot could have done better, but the actual bit that went over was after the ball was pushed into his face by the 'keeper, doubt he knew much about it.

Yesterday saw the best and worst of Bobby Reid. The best were the runs to create the opportunity for scoring and several times he tracked back after losing  a ball to tackle and help his defence. But at the moment his problem is his confidence in front of goal. At both Reading and Brum he's snatching when he shoots and pulling it wide and the header at Reading shows his lack of confidence in front of goal, he was like a rabbit in front of headlights. Hopefully the coaching staff are working with him on this. 

The issue is with Bobby Reid is he gets in position to score then panics. Trotting out season long stats does not reflect his current ability in front of goal. GJ said yesterday that he would be looked at by Premier League sides if he had scored three of his last eight chances. 

24 attempts yesterday but our best chances are repeatedly falling to Bobby who repeatedly misses. This could be form, inexperience or just pure panic, but for god sake something has to give here

Bobby after hours shooting practice with Gary ONeil teaching you to keep calm might help. 

One of our best and most consistent players this year gets a topic to himself because he's missed a couple chances playing as a box to box midfielder playing behind 4 "attacking" players. Where is the Lee Tomlin topic? 2-3m and 15-20k a week and not chipping in more. Jamie Paterson thread? What? 1 goal and not many created. Freeman has had his so I'll let that go. I get he should do better in front of goal when he gets there but he is getting there and we've seen with other players, they aren't. This is Bobby's first real consistent game time and even then he's getting dropped when someone "better" comes back from injury. Yes he's older than most of our youngsters but he's really just getting the games to show his ability and he's filled out a bit more as he's gotten older and is able to hold off the softer challenges in midfield. He's looking to break defences open with his passing and can skip past defenders. He's not our problem scoring goals this season. Width and wing play has been a much bigger problem who are taking up too much of Tomlin and Reid's space. They need to be looked at first. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

What is our price bracket? We've paid millions for Gustav Engvall and Taylor Moore and they are regarded as long-term signings. If we can pay to sign players who don't immediately figure in the first team plans, what could we afford for someone who might actually start? Plus, don't for get City's new super duper scouting network! There are players abroad who have the ability but are a lot cheaper than some of the over paid Premier League players.

To find somebody who can get forward from midfield, score goals and make passes without making mistakes would be nigh on impossible for just a few million quid, Im more than happy with bobby atm but if the right player is out there then hopefully our scouting network is out there to get them. I think the club is looking for younger players who have a future instead of 28 year old free agents as we had done in the past

Archived