IGNORED

Bobby Reid

formerly known as ivan

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

One of our best and most consistent players this year gets a topic to himself because he's missed a couple chances playing as a box to box midfielder playing behind 4 "attacking" players. Where is the Lee Tomlin topic? 2-3m and 15-20k a week and not chipping in more. Jamie Paterson thread? What? 1 goal and not many created. Freeman has had his so I'll let that go. I get he should do better in front of goal when he gets there but he is getting there and we've seen with other players, they aren't. This is Bobby's first real consistent game time and even then he's getting dropped when someone "better" comes back from injury. Yes he's older than most of our youngsters but he's really just getting the games to show his ability and he's filled out a bit more as he's gotten older and is able to hold off the softer challenges in midfield. He's looking to break defences open with his passing and can skip past defenders. He's not our problem scoring goals this season. Width and wing play has been a much bigger problem who are taking up too much of Tomlin and Reid's space. They need to be looked at first. 

I largely agree. We are way to narrow moving forward and not harassing the defender/midfielder in possession! However I would say that how we are playing right now seems to create more opportunities for him and he should be taking a higher ratio.

40 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Simples:

Nowhere near good enough for a promotion side let alone a Premier side

Fine for league below.

What the club does depends on ultimate target.

Personally believe he needs to be offloaded

If we are going to offload Bobby then lets offload Pack and O'Neil as he is a much better midfielder than both of them

39 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Simples:

Fine for league below.

One of your posts on another thread said to play Flint up front and put Moore in defence and now this.The mind boggles!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I largely agree. We are way to narrow moving forward and not harassing the defender/midfielder in possession! However I would say that how we are playing right now seems to create more opportunities for him and he should be taking a higher ratio.

We do seem to have created chances the past few matches and I think it's got a lot to do with Bobby. The last few games I've seen he was benched for Korey who sat next to GON and we created nothing. Then when Tomlin drops deep, which I'm fine with by the way, we have 3 playing as holding midfielders almost. That's why Bobby for me is pivotal. He won't just stand next to GON and when Tomlin drops deep Bobby knows to go forward. It's the key to us creating anything IMO. I think we'd create even more with proper wingers that look to get in behind from time to time with Bobby and LT feeding them because they both pass forward. This would in turn create more for Tammy. 

Again it's all my opinion. Bobby should have 1 or two more but if he had scored them, he'd be one of the highest scoring midfielders in the division. Point being, he's dangerous there and has really come into his own. Always has 90 minutes of running in him as well and will nip in and harass players on the ball. I think we're twice the team with him on the pitch. 

43 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Simples:

Fine for league below.

So, using your logic, I can't see how we can put 11 on the pitch.  Virtually the whole squad need to be offloaded.  

Except for our loanees.  Keep them.  Simple really....

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We do seem to have created chances the past few matches and I think it's got a lot to do with Bobby. The last few games I've seen he was benched for Korey who sat next to GON and we created nothing. Then when Tomlin drops deep, which I'm fine with by the way, we have 3 playing as holding midfielders almost. That's why Bobby for me is pivotal. He won't just stand next to GON and when Tomlin drops deep Bobby knows to go forward. It's the key to us creating anything IMO. I think we'd create even more with proper wingers that look to get in behind from time to time with Bobby and LT feeding them because they both pass forward. This would in turn create more for Tammy. 

Again it's all my opinion. Bobby should have 1 or two more but if he had scored them, he'd be one of the highest scoring midfielders in the division. Point being, he's dangerous there and has really come into his own. Always has 90 minutes of running in him as well and will nip in and harass players on the ball. I think we're twice the team with him on the pitch. 

Again I largely agree. No width and a lack of winning the ball high up the field which we did in spades for the first ten games. We have become obsessed with defending from the back when we don't have the ball, we need to defend from the front again which creates opportunities ala Leeds, Fulham NF etc etc.

However we are creating chances playing as we are but not taking them as we only have one player with a cool head in the box and he never gets it anymore (or at least not enough).

If we are (please no) to continue to play like this and create openings for Bobby he has got to take a higher ratio as the system of play requires it.....The irony is most of the chances he took happened early season when we were winning the ball high and counter attacking fast...Funny old game init?

From what I've seen of Reid this season (although I've not been to any away games yet) I think he's improved. He has been one of our only midfielders who is regularly getting into goalscoring positions and, along with Tomlin,  has been one of our more creative players.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

The issue is with Bobby Reid is he gets in position to score then panics. Trotting out season long stats does not reflect his current ability in front of goal. GJ said yesterday that he would be looked at by Premier League sides if he had scored three of his last eight chances. 

24 attempts yesterday but our best chances are repeatedly falling to Bobby who repeatedly misses. This could be form, inexperience or just pure panic, but for god sake something has to give here

Bobby after hours shooting practice with Gary ONeil teaching you to keep calm might help. 

Gary O'Neil hs one of the worst goal scoring records in our squad, up their with Smith. Have you seen how many chances he's missed this season, and even yesterday.

36 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Gary O'Neil hs one of the worst goal scoring records in our squad, up their with Smith. Have you seen how many chances he's missed this season, and even yesterday.

I think it's reasonable to say that lack of goals from midfield is a problem and has been for a while. Smith, Pack, Freeman, Reid aren't going to terrify the opposition goalkeepers.  As for O'Dowda and Patterson who are semi midfielders / semi forwards, well who knows? 

How's Wes Burns doing? Any hope he can help?

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think it's reasonable to say that lack of goals from midfield is a problem and has been for a while. Smith, Pack, Freeman, Reid aren't going to terrify the opposition goalkeepers.  As for O'Dowda and Patterson who are semi midfielders / semi forwards, well who knows? 

How's Wes Burns doing? Any hope he can help?

Reid scores goals. Scored more this season than Smith and pack have in their careers for us, combined.

This talk of Reid as a defensive midfielder isn't all true anyway, regularly in possession from what I've seen we are playing more of a 4-1-4-1 when Reid plays anyway. It works very well with him in the side, receives the ball well in those positions and as said previously by other he links up well with Tomlin and Tammy. Personally think he has to start at the moment, with O'Neil and Tomlin in those central roles. Should have had a couple more goals this year but he's getting in the right positions where others in the side aren't. I'm backing Bobby!!! COYR!!!

14 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

I hope that he doesn't read this forum.  Great little player.  However I think (and hope) he is probably too strong minded to even be affected by the few pathetic comments against him on here.  Terrific improvement every season

This is true. However I don't see too many pathetic comments or criticisms, largely it's about taking more chances as the way we are playing seems to have increased his chances while Tammy's have deminished. As LJ said yesterday he would be Prem class possibly if he had taken three from his last eight chances which is high praise but also identifying an issue!

People on his case for anything other than that, who knows their agenda. 

42 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Reid scores goals. Scored more this season than Smith and pack have in their careers for us, combined.

He's scored 4 goals this season, but it's wrong to judge players over a short time frame. He's only scored 11 goals in his entire career - 136 matches over 6 years - which isn't prolific. Even when he played an entire season in League 2 with Plymouth he only scored 3 goals. People talk about him as though he's a young player but he's nearly 24 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Again I largely agree. No width and a lack of winning the ball high up the field which we did in spades for the first ten games. We have become obsessed with defending from the back when we don't have the ball, we need to defend from the front again which creates opportunities ala Leeds, Fulham NF etc etc.

However we are creating chances playing as we are but not taking them as we only have one player with a cool head in the box and he never gets it anymore (or at least not enough).

If we are (please no) to continue to play like this and create openings for Bobby he has got to take a higher ratio as the system of play requires it.....The irony is most of the chances he took happened early season when we were winning the ball high and counter attacking fast...Funny old game init?

Is a funny old game. I'm with you re chances. Just not sure we have a player that can both get into those positions and then take them at a high rate. Tbf, there aren't many midfielders that do both especially in this league. Look at someone like Lansbury who can do it. Scored 11 a couple ears ago. 6 last year and has 6 already this year. His cost would be astronomical for us. Point being I'm not sure there is an alternative to Bobby that we have or can afford. Maybe we can unearth a gem in Europe but I don't think he's doing a bad job. 

And chances are an odd thing. We as Bristol City fans see every missed chance. How many times did we say Kodjia missed too many? He was the third highest scorer in a bad side. I think most players miss loads of chances. Remember reading Burnley forums re Andre Grey and how he missed one or two per game but his ability got him in those spots so much he ended up scoring 25 or so. If he converted every chance he'd be gone in the summer. Misses are magnified to the fans that watch all the games. 

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is a funny old game. I'm with you re chances. Just not sure we have a player that can both get into those positions and then take them at a high rate. Tbf, there aren't many midfielders that do both especially in this league. Look at someone like Lansbury who can do it. Scored 11 a couple ears ago. 6 last year and has 6 already this year. His cost would be astronomical for us. Point being I'm not sure there is an alternative to Bobby that we have or can afford. Maybe we can unearth a gem in Europe but I don't think he's doing a bad job. 

And chances are an odd thing. We as Bristol City fans see every missed chance. How many times did we say Kodjia missed too many? He was the third highest scorer in a bad side. I think most players miss loads of chances. Remember reading Burnley forums re Andre Grey and how he missed one or two per game but his ability got him in those spots so much he ended up scoring 25 or so. If he converted every chance he'd be gone in the summer. Misses are magnified to the fans that watch all the games. 

So up until this weekend Bobby had scored more than Lansbury?!

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The issue is with Bobby Reid is he gets in position to score then panics. Trotting out season long stats does not reflect his current ability in front of goal. GJ said yesterday that he would be looked at by Premier League sides if he had scored three of his last eight chances. 

24 attempts yesterday but our best chances are repeatedly falling to Bobby who repeatedly misses. This could be form, inexperience or just pure panic, but for god sake something has to give here

Bobby after hours shooting practice with Gary ONeil teaching you to keep calm might help. 

Redoxo is spot on!

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

So, using your logic, I can't see how we can put 11 on the pitch.  Virtually the whole squad need to be offloaded.  

Except for our loanees.  Keep them.  Simple really....

Precisely my point.  We can't at present put 11 on the pitch good enough for a promotion challenge.  But we do have quality in The Academy and on the fringe, and I believe a number of these will be in a City side pushing for promotion within 18 months to two years but I certainly remain sceptical by many of our first 11 who don't seem to be improving, e.g. Flint, Freeman, Little, Goldbourne, plus Wilbs who surely will be let go at season's end.

I believe Lucic, Moore and Giralomo will be nicely ready in the time period I have given above

Archived