IGNORED

Bobby Reid

formerly known as ivan

2 hours ago, Offside said:

From what I've seen of Reid this season (although I've not been to any away games yet) I think he's improved. He has been one of our only midfielders who is regularly getting into goalscoring positions and, along with Tomlin,  has been one of our more creative players.

But all of last season's players have 'improved'. They must have done, or else we'd be more or less where we were this time last year. That logic doesn't work. Each of the players who remain from August 2015 have improved - by the nature of improving or not, he wouldn't be playing otherwise - so the question is more, has he improved enough to make us a significantly better team? He's had years with us now, in comparison to the other young ones from our Pillars (Brownhill, Paterson etc). Admittedly these have been under other managers and styles, but how long do we give him till he either looks like we've got a gem or we pass him on? For the record he's worth keeping for now, for me, as he does offer attacking intent few other midfielders do. But time is running out in my book.

The old standard about players hitting their peak from about 25 or so stands true. He'll soon have been playing first team football for 5 years. Put aside all the he's been one of our best players this season so far (true, but it's not a huge talent pool, that), and look back at his trajectory...is he really aiming at either effective first team regular (bearing in mind his is one of the toughest positions to have a valued effect - he's "expected" to both score and set up) or is he good enough to cash in? Would another Championship club jump at buying him? One of our Pillars is that these youngsters turn us a profit if we aren't promoted - are we going to earn a windfall for him? I'm not sure who, further up the food chain, would buy him.

I'm still a fan, I'm still patient, I can see he has things others don't and we'd be less creative without him. But, as others have pointed out, his shooting is poor in terms of consistency. It's often weak and off-target. On the one hand it's great he's getting in those positions - again he's the only one there, you can forget Paterson or Freeman or, to be unfair, holding midfielders, breaking into the box - and this is to be praised. But, on the other hand, what's the point unless his shooting/finishing is good/improving. I can't say I've seen (enough of) an improvement in this. And you'd have to admit, that at 24, by and large, you can either shoot or you can't.

I'm not having a go at him, it's a problematic area (flawed, you could say, seeing as we rely on one up front necessitating a midfielder getting into the box and reid's the only one who does this). The team's inconsistency isn't down to him. But in isolation, there are still season-old questions marks hanging over him. Quite a conundrum.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is a funny old game. I'm with you re chances. Just not sure we have a player that can both get into those positions and then take them at a high rate. Tbf, there aren't many midfielders that do both especially in this league. Look at someone like Lansbury who can do it. Scored 11 a couple ears ago. 6 last year and has 6 already this year. His cost would be astronomical for us. Point being I'm not sure there is an alternative to Bobby that we have or can afford. Maybe we can unearth a gem in Europe but I don't think he's doing a bad job. 

And chances are an odd thing. We as Bristol City fans see every missed chance. How many times did we say Kodjia missed too many? He was the third highest scorer in a bad side. I think most players miss loads of chances. Remember reading Burnley forums re Andre Grey and how he missed one or two per game but his ability got him in those spots so much he ended up scoring 25 or so. If he converted every chance he'd be gone in the summer. Misses are magnified to the fans that watch all the games. 

Yes agreed per para one, thus reverting our style as discussed is essential. However Bob could start scoring like demon now under the present system, but that would continue to make Tammy less potent 

Agreed per para two, you have to be there, but one in three is acceptable none in eight is borderline. Bob popped up more earlier in the season as discussed when the pressure was off and Tammy was scoring, but now Tammy rarely gets a sniff pressure is intensified on others to weigh in. I suppose hence the thread and LJs comments regarding reviewing options. 

Anyway good luck to the kid hopefully it will be like busses soon. :laugh:

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

But all of last season's players have 'improved'. They must have done, or else we'd be more or less where we were this time last year. That logic doesn't work. Each of the players who remain from August 2015 have improved - by the nature of improving or not, he wouldn't be playing otherwise - so the question is more, has he improved enough to make us a significantly better team? He's had years with us now, in comparison to the other young ones from our Pillars (Brownhill, Paterson etc). Admittedly these have been under other managers and styles, but how long do we give him till he either looks like we've got a gem or we pass him on? For the record he's worth keeping for now, for me, as he does offer attacking intent few other midfielders do. But time is running out in my book.

The old standard about players hitting their peak from about 25 or so stands true. He'll soon have been playing first team football for 5 years. Put aside all the he's been one of our best players this season so far (true, but it's not a huge talent pool, that), and look back at his trajectory...is he really aiming at either effective first team regular (bearing in mind his is one of the toughest positions to have a valued effect - he's "expected" to both score and set up) or is he good enough to cash in? Would another Championship club jump at buying him? One of our Pillars is that these youngsters turn us a profit if we aren't promoted - are we going to earn a windfall for him? I'm not sure who, further up the food chain, would buy him.

I'm still a fan, I'm still patient, I can see he has things others don't and we'd be less creative without him. But, as others have pointed out, his shooting is poor in terms of consistency. It's often weak and off-target. On the one hand it's great he's getting in those positions - again he's the only one there, you can forget Paterson or Freeman or, to be unfair, holding midfielders, breaking into the box - and this is to be praised. But, on the other hand, what's the point unless his shooting/finishing is good/improving. I can't say I've seen (enough of) an improvement in this. And you'd have to admit, that at 24, by and large, you can either shoot or you can't.

I'm not having a go at him, it's a problematic area (flawed, you could say, seeing as we rely on one up front necessitating a midfielder getting into the box and reid's the only one who does this). The team's inconsistency isn't down to him. But in isolation, there are still season-old questions marks hanging over him. Quite a conundrum.

A conundrum indeed. I think he's improved more than some of our other players (or maybe it's that he's getting more game time so we are finally able to see what he can do). Is he good enough for a top six side? Not yet, but the same can be said for most of our squad. It doesn't seem like he's a potential high value asset (like Magnusson or Bryan, despite the latter's dip in form). I get the feeling, though, that we will see more from Reid because of his ability to find those pockets of space in the final third. If he can convert more of those chances that fall to him his confidence in front of goal should grow. 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

So up until this weekend Bobby had scored more than Lansbury?!

Think both were on 3 going into the weekend but Lansbury scored a hat trick against Barnsley. Different type of player as HL is much bigger so make more of a target for crosses but Bobby is in that mold of midfielder. Misses some good chances but if he ends up with 6-7 goals and continues to play as well as he is, I imagine teams will take a look at him. Truly think him, Tammy and Magnusson have been a notch above everyone else this year. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

:facepalm: yes let's criticise the one player who consistently moves the ball forwards and runs at defences on the basis that, as a midfielder, he hasn't converted all of his chances.

LJ did on the radio on Saturday. He would be looked at by Premier League clubs if he had taken three out of his last eight chances.

Perhaps Have a word with him as clearly he is more frustrated than most. 

9 hours ago, pongo88 said:

He's scored 4 goals this season, but it's wrong to judge players over a short time frame. He's only scored 11 goals in his entire career - 136 matches over 6 years - which isn't prolific. Even when he played an entire season in League 2 with Plymouth he only scored 3 goals. People talk about him as though he's a young player but he's nearly 24 

So he has had a 6 year long career so far, and has 10+ before the end of his career as well as being at least 3 years from his peak.

Think that still classes him as fairly young.

Archived