IGNORED

Taking our chances

ollywhyte

24 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm not the one clutching at straws.

Who's blaming anyone? No bigger picture, just pointing out left from right.

You said

I suspect you are alluding to Little and Paterson not being defensively good enough? Well maybe, but Bryan and Tomlin didn't exactly inspire confidence in those two games either.

Indeed...Tomlin and to a lesser extent JB could have done better...but as an overall, our weakness has been on our right hand side, hence teams probing more that side. You've only got to see the heat patterns on the field to realise this. Most of our defensive lapses have come from players being out of position or not tracking back on our right side. Picking two goals up, one from a corner and one from a dubious penalty isn't proving otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

:dunno:Frenchay Red's not clutching at straws at all, he's given a clear explanation and he's obviously right!

I suggest you watch the video of the goals and the play leading up to the goals. You can't blame Magners dubious corner and JB giving away a corner for the goals. No way would a manager look at those two players and say there is a weakness there which we can exploit. Managers probe our right side for a reason.

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed...Tomlin and to a lesser extent JB could have done better...but as an overall, our weakness has been on our right hand side, hence teams probing more that side. You've only got to see the heat patterns on the field to realise this. Most of our defensive lapses have come from players being out of position or not tracking back on our right side. Picking two goals up, one from a corner and one from a dubious penalty isn't proving otherwise.

I suggest you watch the video of the goals and the play leading up to the goals. You can't blame Magners dubious corner and JB giving away a corner for the goals. No way would a manager look at those two players and say there is a weakness there which we can exploit. Managers probe our right side for a reason.

This is like banging my head against a wall.

For the last time, and irrespective of your opinion of the right hand side of our midfield/defence, we lost the last two games because of goals conceded arising from attacks down the left side of our defence.

I was at both games, and watching videos does not, quite literally, necessarily provide you with the complete picture.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

This is like banging my head against a wall.

For the last time, and irrespective of your opinion of the right hand side of our midfield/defence, we lost the last two games because of goals conceded arising from attacks down the left side of our defence.

I was at both games, and watching videos does not, quite literally, necessarily provide you with the complete picture.

I suggest you go back over my posts FR...where have I said they didn't on those occasions? All I've suggested is that you can't blame JB and HM for those periods of play.

Perhaps all this banging your head against brick walls has made you read into things that aren't there...talk about pedantic ;-)

4 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm not the one clutching at straws.

Who's blaming anyone? No bigger picture, just pointing out left from right.

You said

I suspect you are alluding to Little and Paterson not being defensively good enough? Well maybe, but Bryan and Tomlin didn't exactly inspire confidence in those two games either.

Without getting into your discussion with the other bloke, there in lies an issue *bold*

Of the four you named. Mark Little is a natural wing back being played at full back. Joe Bryan is a natural winger being played at Full back. Tomlin is a playmaker who's defensive duties are not uppermost in his or anyone else's mind and Patterson an attacking midfielder who prefers to be more central.

We have a left back in Goldbourne who is pretty decent at this level and Matthews is better than Little if his head is not firmly inserted into his rectum. (although lately I thought Little had done ok. You can usually tell by the lack of I hate Mark Little threads)

I could go on, but can not be bothered to keep pointing out in threads you play in a way that suits what you have and definitely not in a way that suits the latest coaching manual and trend.

With that said if we take our chances the defence does not come under as much pressure and if we play more than one up the ball may stick more....The problem is not right or left as which ever side it is going to crack sooner or later because we give the ball away cheaply. It's a simple game really, as we both know!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I suggest you go back over my posts FR...where have I said they didn't on those occasions? All I've suggested is that you can't blame JB and HM for those periods of play.

Perhaps all this banging your head against brick walls has made you read into things that aren't there...talk about pedantic ;-)

:facepalm:

:rofl2br:

• Admin
On 11/30/2016 at 22:25, Frenchay Red said:

The goals conceded at Brum and Reading both came following attacks down our left side.

On 11/30/2016 at 22:41, spudski said:

The second came from players on our right, not following and marking the goal scorer, who came in on the right hand side of the box.

Only just caught this, look back at the highlights JB was caught ball watching in the LB position as a long ball came in, from him standing still players were out of position so they had a spare man all the way in the move which resulted in the goal

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Only just caught this, look back at the highlights JB was caught ball watching in the LB position as a long ball came in, from him standing still players were out of position so they had a spare man all the way in the move which resulted in the goal

Whilst I agree, on this occasion that the attack started down our left hand side...it showed three monumental errors.

JB was not at fault for the positioning. It was actually Tomlin. Watch the video and slow it down from 40 secs. Tomlin leaves his man that he's marking...then proceeds to instruct JB to cover the man wide. JB moves...as Tomlin now has just stopped. Leaving the man that Tomlin was previously marking, to move into the space that JB was covering. He receives the ball from the wide man...as Tomlin has stopped and is just pointing and JB is left in no mans land.

He then sends in a cross to the edge of our right hand side of the box, where our midfield haven't followed there player in...looks like Reid. Little was covering his man and had to try to cover for Reid not tracking his man back.

Two errors by Tomlin and Reid not doing their defensive duties properly. Tomlin being the biggest culprit. JB was holding his correct position, and had the runners position covered. My only criticism of him, was listening to Tomlin and coming out of his position and breaking shape. Tomlin left his man...made the wrong instruction to JB and left themselves both exposed. Tomlin should have gone to the wide man and let JB cover in the correct defensive position. Reading exploited City perfectly by dragging two players out and making a hole for the runner to receive the ball. Massive mistake by Tomlin and one of the reasons we are weak in midfield...because he doesn't do defensive duties well enough.

Archived