IGNORED

ex City Manager Tony Pulis ordered to pay £3.7 million pounds

Never to the dark side

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

In July 1999, Tony Pulis was appointed manager. He had led Gillingham to the playoff final only two months before, but had then been sacked for “Gross Misconduct”. Oddly enough City then had to pay compensation to Gillingham.

Whatever happens going forward, at least we can't get back to that level of ineptitude at board level.   :fingerscrossed:

(please)

48 minutes ago, Offside said:

With Pulis as manager City were absolutely dire and he clearly had little affection for our club. I felt absolutely elated when he buggered off. In the first game after he left at Bournemouth there was a party atmosphere in the away end (and the pub beforehand) - fond memories of that day.

I still believe to this day that his hatred of us goes so deep that he was determined to destroy the club from within. It`s the only explanation I can come up with for some of the things that went on back then.

Just my opinion of course.

43 minutes ago, harrys said:

No way was he worse than Osman, that would be impossible 

He certainly was, miles worse.

Osman had no money available and had to try to keep us in The Championship, that**** spent an absolute fortune on injury prone veterans and we were in the bottom half of League One after number of 0-0 draws when he left.

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

I remember being 1 up at half time at Charlton and he took Andy Cole and Jacki off at H/T and played with 5 centre halfs in a back 5, needless to say we lost 2-1, the Man was a disaster 

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I still believe to this day that his hatred of us goes so deep that he was determined to destroy the club from within. It`s the only explanation I can come up with for some of the things that went on back then.

Just my opinion of course.

I rest my case.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He certainly was, miles worse.

Osman had no money available and had to try to keep us in The Championship, that**** spent an absolute fortune on injury prone veterans and we were in the bottom half of League One after number of 0-0 draws when he left.

yep

Triffic also appointed ex gas Lindsay Parsons as his assistant at AG and of course neither of them showed any warmth whatsoever to their former cross-city rivals. Pulis spent large amounts of folding money which we didn't have signing the likes of Steve Jones and Peter Beadle. Pulis was worse than Osman by some distance. His reign is the bleakest I can recall over my 55+ years of watching City.

I don't remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated but I well remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Pompey were not only taking Pulis off our hands but paying us compensation!

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I remember being 1 up at half time at Charlton and he took Andy Cole and Jacki off at H/T and played with 5 centre halfs in a back 5, needless to say we lost 2-1, the Man was a disaster 

I was at this game but looked this up, what you have have said is largely untrue.

Cole wasn't subbed off at all, he played the full game. Our "5 centre halfs" presumably included full backs Andy Llewellyn and Stuart Munro, then? Seeing as they were in the back four that started (& finished) the game.

No surprise to me Dziekanowski was subbed off, he was usually a passenger away from AG...

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Triffic also appointed ex gas Lindsay Parsons as his assistant at AG and of course neither of them showed any warmth whatsoever to their former cross-city rivals. Pulis spent large amounts of folding money which we didn't have signing the likes of Steve Jones and Peter Beadle. Pulis was worse than Osman by some distance. His reign is the bleakest I can recall over my 55+ years of watching City.

I don't remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated but I well remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Pompey were not only taking Pulis off our hands but paying us compensation!

gutted was hoping for you to say you had him (sorry).

Pulis was co-commentator on Radio Bristol for our infamous 1-2 FA Cup second round victory on 10 December 1983...I 'taped' the radio commentary as I was at the game with the red hordes in the Muller Road away end.

His absolute abject 'guttedness' when Martyn Hirst scored the winner was a joy to behold...I played that recording back so many times, we sounded so loud, bellowing out non-stop support to our boys - hard to believe we were a division below that lot at the time....never again!

4 hours ago, Offside said:

With Pulis as manager City were absolutely dire and he clearly had little affection for our club. I felt absolutely elated when he buggered off. In the first game after he left at Bournemouth there was a party atmosphere in the away end (and the pub beforehand) - fond memories of that day.

Autumn 1999; After 16 games, City were in a rut; unbeaten at home, 2 wins and 8 draws but poor travellers with just one win and two draws. When struggling Cambridge visited and scored in the first minute, Pulis was vilified. Jones equalised but in the second half Tinnion and Goodridge, who had been providing the only sparks were taken off simultaneously and both teams played the final 20 minutes with only one player up front.

Early in 2000; Pulis resigned and became manager of Portsmouth. The following day City won 3-2 at Bournemouth whilst Portsmouth lost by the same score at home to Wolves, whose equaliser was scored by Tony Branch who Pulis had tried to sign for City and the winner came from Akinbiyi who Pulis had sold to Wolves only four months before.  The following week City were home to leaders Wigan. When City’s players took the field they were seen to be smiling and relaxed. One lifelong fan commented that was the first time that season that had happened.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pulis was co-commentator on Radio Bristol for our infamous 1-2 FA Cup second round victory on 10 December 1983...I 'taped' the radio commentary as I was at the game with the red hordes in the Muller Road away end.

His absolute abject 'guttedness' when Martyn Hirst scored the winner was a joy to behold...I played that recording back so many times, we sounded so loud, bellowing out non-stop support to our boys - hard to believe we were a division below that lot at the time....never again!

One of my favourite away games EVER for the reasons you highlight re atmosphere / support

Always remember a chap of West Indian appearance and his mates stopping in their car on M32 and exchanging pleasantries with the red masses 

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Very interesting. The article describes how he lied throughout that August period at Palace. And asked three ex-players to support his lies. And then lied in an attempt to screw Palace over.

Trying to put the abysmal football to one side, it's clear that none of us in the comments above were comfortable with this man in charge of BCFC. In my experience, people who are pathological liars are not the best people to have around.

Thank you Pompey for taking him away.

Thank you Palace for this gift.

And **** off Pulis - football would be better without you.

A good friend of mine was born in Portsmouth and is a big Pompey fan.

I saw him the day they 'prized' Pulis away from us, he was elated, but couldn't understand why I was even happier than him, thanking him and shaking his hand...he was puzzled!

When I saw him a few weeks later he looked older and haggard, and not at all happy.  He looked at me and gave me that knowing, sad, nod of the head.

He then understood!

No words were needed!

3 hours ago, Red Thai said:

A good friend of mine was born in Portsmouth and is a big Pompey fan.

I saw him the day they 'prized' Pulis away from us, he was elated, but couldn't understand why I was even happier than him, thanking him and shaking his hand...he was puzzled!

When I saw him a few weeks later he looked older and haggard, and not at all happy.  He looked at me and gave me that knowing, sad, nod of the head.

He then understood!

No words were needed!

They soon sussed him at out at Pompey and sent him packing!

Archived