IGNORED

LJ Apology FROM 'The Head of Referees'

Unan

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Being from America I've seen video replay in many sports. It is useful but in moderation. Maybe you could do it NFL style where you get a "challenge." On certain plays, you can challenge the referees decision if you think a mistake was made. They get 1 per game(well 2 if they use the first and are correct). I'm all for 1 a game though. Not for offsides or yellow cards but maybe for red cards and penalty decisions and only if a call is made. Not a challenge to say you were penalised. So for example on Saturday, challenge the penalty decision and have a 5th official look at it from any camera angles available and either confirm the penalty decision or overturn it. It can be a useful tool but only if it's used sparingly. 

This.

Just now, Robbored said:

He's the one I remember the most. He was shocking, truly shocking. Not just once but twice at AG. One poor game can be forgiven but not two.......:facepalm:

Trevor Chocolate Teapot would be a more accurate description of his style, Evil Twin.

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They are all so good that the ref is doing QPR v Wolves on Sky tonight and the linos are doing Forest v Newcastle on Sky tomorrow! :facepalm:

Meanwhile we have Stuart Attwell for our game on Sat.  

I don't understand how a ref in this day and age, and after all the tests/exams/training they have to do, can make 3 blinding cockups in one match and get sweet FA (pun intended) as a reprimand.

1 cockup, I can understand. Everyone makes mistakes. 2 cockups is not great. But 3 on the bounce is down right awful. 

I swear I read somewhere that if refs balls it up pretty badly, they are demoted and put in charge of lower league games. But these 3 are being put on the TV in the same league just a few days later! If I messed up at work, I'd be either disciplined or given more training.

Where is the solution?

2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I disagree.

Referees making errors is part and parcel of the game, as much as players making mistakes is. It's going to happen and if you remove it, you remove part of the narrative.

Losing out to an incorrect decision is painful for supporters and may even mean players and managers lose their jobs, but only as part of a cumulative effect: a poor decision may be the final thing that gets a manager sacked but other things have put him in that position in the first place.

It's frustrating when an official makes an obviously wrong call, or even sometimes a right one that goes against your team, but I'd hate to lose it from the game. I don't personally shout abuse at referees, but frustration at an official can become a shared cause between supporters, players and coaching staff. If the referee makes no mistakes then the game has become less interesting.

I don't want video reviews and goal line technology. I want a person, doing his best, along with the 22 others on the pitch. I want him to sometimes be brilliant (though for a referee that usually means he's not noticed) and I want him to sometimes be hopeless. I don't want him to be perfect any more than I want all the players to be perfect, because that would be boring.

Great post Dan, agree 100%.

• Admin
2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I disagree.

Referees making errors is part and parcel of the game, as much as players making mistakes is. It's going to happen and if you remove it, you remove part of the narrative.

Losing out to an incorrect decision is painful for supporters and may even mean players and managers lose their jobs, but only as part of a cumulative effect: a poor decision may be the final thing that gets a manager sacked but other things have put him in that position in the first place.

It's frustrating when an official makes an obviously wrong call, or even sometimes a right one that goes against your team, but I'd hate to lose it from the game. I don't personally shout abuse at referees, but frustration at an official can become a shared cause between supporters, players and coaching staff. If the referee makes no mistakes then the game has become less interesting.

I don't want video reviews and goal line technology. I want a person, doing his best, along with the 22 others on the pitch. I want him to sometimes be brilliant (though for a referee that usually means he's not noticed) and I want him to sometimes be hopeless. I don't want him to be perfect any more than I want all the players to be perfect, because that would be boring.

I'd be happy with that, if, the dissection and continual replays of contentious decisions, from a dozen angles, was stopped.  Also in that case, I'd like to see retrospective discipline stopped, as I fail to see the difference between using technology for correcting errors or administering punishment.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I'd be happy with that, if, the dissection and continual replays of contentious decisions, from a dozen angles, was stopped.  Also in that case, I'd like to see retrospective discipline stopped, as I fail to see the difference between using technology for correcting errors or administering punishment.

So you weren't pleased that Diomande got a retrospective ban after punching Pack?

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The head is taking responsibility for the situation, and I guess the ref in question, will get a damn good thrashing instead.

Refs in all Prem and EFL games are assessed and points out of 10 are awarded, the  score is taken into account as to which League they will be in control of in the next game. The select Refs (top Prem Refs)  are not demoted, unless they have low ratings for a few games.   You can find out more about how the system works by reading Howard Webbs " The Man In The Middle "  A very good read.

3 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

I'd rather there was no apology. Referees shouldn't have to justify their decisions 

But there's no excuse for the FA not taking retrospective disciplinary action when needed.

Yes they should, especially when 3 of those decisions ultimately influenced the result, to give a penalty the referee has to 100% sure that he is correct in his decision and he could not have been because we now know there was no contact, so exactly what did he see to convince him it was a penalty?, he can only claim that he thought that there was contact now and thought is not good enough.

The disallowed goal and the not given penalty are a different matter, he can claim he didn't see them, just like he didn't see the contact.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Atlanta_Red said:

So you weren't pleased that Diomande got a retrospective ban after punching Pack?

But if not sending him off had any effect on the result, what's the difference between that and awarding a penalty that never was and disallowing a goal that was legit?  I am struggling to see how one has value over the other.

Robinson was a PE Teacher and only went Full Time this season……….read an article where he stated how pleased that all his hard work has now paid off…..And quote, he's  "looking forward to reaching the pinnacle of his career" !!  Good Luck with reaching that feckin pinnacle Timothy?

Living in Australia i'd say video refs are a curse more than a blessing.

In the NRL the refs (who are professional i think) still get things wrong and get dropped for big games etc as punishment so at the end it changes very little, that's including now they use 2 refs on the pitch at the same time with the backing of the video ref.

The other thing i hate is that refs with video backing refuse to make any kind of decision, clear tries get referred to the video ref because they wont put their neck on the line and make a call.

16 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I certainly don't think it's helpful that referees are so often and heavily criticised by TV pundits with the benefit of hindsight and a dozen camera angles. It contributes to a siege mentality on their part that will only make them more aloof and unwilling to discuss their decisions.

That said, I think watching the likes of Jose Mourino lay into them after a game is another important part of the narrative. Every story needs a villain after all.

As for retrospective judgements, I can see your point but in cases of violent conduct I think it's still important in enforcing discipline. If the referee misses a potential leg-breaking tackle (which he shouldn't, but might), then it should still be possible to punish the offender based on video evidence, otherwise players will know they can get away with it if they can do it without being seen.

Archived