IGNORED

LJ Apology FROM 'The Head of Referees'

Unan

• Admin

There isn't really any other option than to use technology.  The camera's will continue to highlight the mistakes and the argument will run on and on until technology is introduced.  Sooner the better in my opinion.  

I can't understand how player disciplinary incidents can be reviewed after a game, i.e. retrospective red cards, but such major events as incorrectly struck off goals or erroneous penalties which probably have a bigger part to play in the seasons outcome are disregarded.

Video refereeing is being trialed quite successfully in professional leagues around the world.  I would expect it to be introduced in the next few years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/13/video-assistant-referees-edge-closer-after-successful-trial-in-u/

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2016/09/03/la-liga-pushes-for-video-referee-trials/

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There isn't really any other option than to use technology.  The camera's will continue to highlight the mistakes and the argument will run on and on until technology is introduced.  Sooner the better in my opinion.  

I can't understand how player disciplinary incidents can be reviewed after a game, i.e. retrospective red cards, but such major events as incorrectly struck off goals or erroneous penalties which probably have a bigger part to play in the seasons outcome are disregarded.

But the disciplinary side of it should be looked at after the game if required. Retrospective red cards, banning, etc should be given. Do you suggest they retrospectively award a team a goal, or a penalty and everyone has to go back to the ground to take one penalty?

I don't think we should get more technology for offsides, etc.

22 minutes ago, semblar said:

That's precisely the problem isn't it - sure these things can tend to balance out over a season...but if (red tinted specs on!) we were to miss the playoffs by a point or two an apology is scant consolation

But do they balance out over a season? A resounding no!

The sides that badger the ref most, those with more vocal support and lots of other factors will get more of the 50/50 decisions in their favour. It's always been so but now with every game videoed from two or more cameras, the wrong decisions are readily available and visible after a game.

It's not only football; the last Bristol Rugby home game had an incident where two players, one Bristol and one Leicester, jumped for the ball and both ended up on the ground. Within a nano second, about six Leicester players who were very close to the incident, threw their arms up in the air and turned to face the ref. Would anyone like to guess which player was sin binned for ten minutes? Bristol or Leicester?

And that's why this league is such a close call and there is also a great deal of luck.

It's obvious the Reading game and others have been down to misfortune...all ifs and buts.

You can't plan for decisions made by referees, so talk of changing formations etc, because we aren't winning is futile when decisions like these go against you.

If we were being battered in open play I'd get it...but we aren't. I put it down to frustration.

just think how the players and LJ are feeling after all their hard work.

10 minutes ago, cynic said:

That referee and linesmen were not competent to manage a championship game and I would hope that they are not utilised in the championship again this season.

They are all so good that the ref is doing QPR v Wolves on Sky tonight and the linos are doing Forest v Newcastle on Sky tomorrow! :facepalm:

Meanwhile we have Stuart Attwell for our game on Sat.  

What's laughable..no incompetent is that the head of referees to call LJ and make an apology for one of his members poor performance yet in the next breath applies no sanction or remedial action to that member other than awarding him another game Saturday. 

Self governance doesn't work.  

49 minutes ago, cynic said:

I can live with officials making genuine mistakes like giving a goal kick instead of a corner etc. Its bound to happen.

What I can't forgive is incompetence which, in saturdays game, resulted in three game changing wrong decisions. That referee and linesmen were not competent to manage a championship game and I would hope that they are not utilised in the championship again this season.

Video replays are a must for such important situations and the sooner the better.

Its good that the head honcho has apologised for their performance, but he shouldn't have to if video were in place.

I agree with the incompetence, but I remain convinced that referees and linesman today regard themselves as part of the game rather than guardians of the rules, by that I mean they give decisions they cannot possibly have seen, and that can only be because they feel the need to be involved in the game.

Many years ago I did a referees course (which I passed!) The one thing that stuck with me was a one liner from one of the experienced guys taking the course, he said "you can't give what you can't see", clearly many of today's officials were never given that advice, and all too often they give the popular decision, not the right one.

The very fact there has been an apology, and it has been made public too, shows how wrong and unjust the decisions were on Saturday. No doubt it cost us at least one point. Magnusson did really well to carry on with the incident in his head.

13 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I agree with the incompetence, but I remain convinced that referees and linesman today regard themselves as part of the game rather than guardians of the rules, by that I mean they give decisions they cannot possibly have seen, and that can only be because they feel the need to be involved in the game.

Many years ago I did a referees course (which I passed!) The one thing that stuck with me was a one liner from one of the experienced guys taking the course, he said "you can't give what you can't see", clearly many of today's officials were never given that advice, and all too often they give the popular decision, not the right one.

Exactly my thoughts about not giving what you didn't see. Imagine the conversation, 'so did you see the foul?' 'err no, but I thought I did' 

1 hour ago, cynic said:

I can live with officials making genuine mistakes like giving a goal kick instead of a corner etc. Its bound to happen.

What I can't forgive is incompetence which, in saturdays game, resulted in three game changing wrong decisions. That referee and linesmen were not competent to manage a championship game and I would hope that they are not utilised in the championship again this season.

Video replays are a must for such important situations and the sooner the better.

Its good that the head honcho has apologised for their performance, but he shouldn't have to if video were in place.

The relegation of referees is ridiculous too. They should be provided extra training workshops for their performance to improve, not relegated down the league. How does that help? If you make a mistake at work do you get made the tea boy for the rest of the year? No, you get spoken to, trained in how not to make that mistake again and you go out and carry on with your job.

Make the refs professional, pay them like the players and also discipline them in the same way for mistakes.

Introduce a 5th ref looking at contentious issues on a replay and advise the ref on the field of what action should take place, doesn't need to take for ever with technology the way it is. Like sending off the Hull player in the cup game who took a swing

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I disagree.

Referees making errors is part and parcel of the game, as much as players making mistakes is. It's going to happen and if you remove it, you remove part of the narrative.

Losing out to an incorrect decision is painful for supporters and may even mean players and managers lose their jobs, but only as part of a cumulative effect: a poor decision may be the final thing that gets a manager sacked but other things have put him in that position in the first place.

It's frustrating when an official makes an obviously wrong call, or even sometimes a right one that goes against your team, but I'd hate to lose it from the game. I don't personally shout abuse at referees, but frustration at an official can become a shared cause between supporters, players and coaching staff. If the referee makes no mistakes then the game has become less interesting.

I don't want video reviews and goal line technology. I want a person, doing his best, along with the 22 others on the pitch. I want him to sometimes be brilliant (though for a referee that usually means he's not noticed) and I want him to sometimes be hopeless. I don't want him to be perfect any more than I want all the players to be perfect, because that would be boring.

Being from America I've seen video replay in many sports. It is useful but in moderation. Maybe you could do it NFL style where you get a "challenge." On certain plays, you can challenge the referees decision if you think a mistake was made. They get 1 per game(well 2 if they use the first and are correct). I'm all for 1 a game though. Not for offsides or yellow cards but maybe for red cards and penalty decisions and only if a call is made. Not a challenge to say you were penalised. So for example on Saturday, challenge the penalty decision and have a 5th official look at it from any camera angles available and either confirm the penalty decision or overturn it. It can be a useful tool but only if it's used sparingly. 

18 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Excuse my ignorance, what was said?

All i heard said was the linesman shouting "get back" as our physio was on the pitch by a couple of yards waiting for the refs signal, which is fine right because play stopped?

He shouted it a couple of times to our physio to which he reaponded calm down im waiting. Then some more words were exchanged then our physio shouted quite agressively at him "Dont you dare talk to me like that!". 

Few city fans around me started giving it to the lino which seemed to put an end to it. Ive never seen a lino so scared to run towards the byline!!

22 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

All i heard said was the linesman shouting "get back" as our physio was on the pitch by a couple of yards waiting for the refs signal, which is fine right because play stopped?

He shouted it a couple of times to our physio to which he reaponded calm down im waiting. Then some more words were exchanged then our physio shouted quite agressively at him "Dont you dare talk to me like that!". 

Few city fans around me started giving it to the lino which seemed to put an end to it. Ive never seen a lino so scared to run towards the byline!!

Yeah I heard the shouting at him but didn't hear what he said to the physio

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

As long as disallowed goals for offside are reviewed immediately........:whistle:

On a more serious note why not allow a set number of reviews either per half or per game as they do in test cricket?

Its the obvious answer IMO

Archived