IGNORED

Winning ugly.

Robbored

40 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So if a player is punched in the box or there is a handball then it's not a penalty if we wasn't disadvantaged? Total bull.

Totally different scenario. I appreciate it is a foul, but my honest opinion is there was no disadvantage resulting and no obvious violent conduct. I think those sorts of penalties, whilst they are, are really disproportionate. Delighted to have it of course. 

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Totally different scenario. I appreciate it is a foul, but my honest opinion is there was no disadvantage resulting and no obvious violent conduct. I think those sorts of penalties, whilst they are, are really disproportionate. Delighted to have it of course. 

I think you are right.  My only alternative comment, is why the eff is the keeper flying out like that?

5 hours ago, 29AR said:

Right behind it in the Atyeo and honestly I wouldn't have given it. There was contact, Tammy was brought down but for me the ball was going out of play with or without the goalkeeper closing him down. The contact caused us no disadvantage it was simply the difference between a goal kick or a pen. In those instances I think a pen is too much. 

However, moments later we had a clear cut pen not given at a corner. 

So a pen, you just answered your own concerns, about a City pen, after last week what would you have done cheer the ref for not giving it?

We are soft, we really are. 

2 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

People talking about the win not being the best performance. In all honesty, in this league, that is the formula to success. Keep it tight a don't concede and more likely to win a game. We should have been doing this for a while now. Open and expansive does not work in the championship as opposition are too focussed on closing down and winning the ball back and counter attacking. If we try and play open and expansive and have players that don't possess enough quality to hold on to the ball or move it on quickly, it fails.

i hope LJ has learnt a tactical lesson from today and will use it moving forward

Wrong. It depends on many more factors than that. Loads of teams succeed in this league by playing good football and it's naive to suggest it isn't possible.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

So a pen, you just answered your own concerns, about a City pen, after last week what would you have done cheer the ref for not giving it?

We are soft, we really are. 

You're missing the point. I acknowledfe it is an offence which brings a foul. Personally I think common sense should prevail - for or against us - if the attacker is denied no advantage then a free run up shot from 12 yards is irrational. I'll cheer every one we get, I'll moan every one we concede. As a whole I think it's ludicrously disproportionate to award a pen in this circumstances 

6 hours ago, RedM said:

The Ref seemed to take an age to give it, maybe checked with his linesman? Happy to have a penalty awarded after the one I witnessed last week.

Strange performance, thought we looked a bit leggy towards the end of the first half like it was the end of a match with extra time. I had feeling Freeman was going to score today, I really did. I saw a few of the Ipswich players afterwards and they admitted it was a great goal and unstoppable.

After watching the highlights on channel 5, I would suggest the referee was wavering until Tomlins intervention made his mind up for him :-)

Why do so many people refuse to at least acknowledge the grey area with this penalty? @29AR is talking sense. It wasn't "blatant" because you can make arguments for and against it being given. Yes, it was a foul, but the ball was already long gone and we would have obtained no advantage from the situation had the keeper not made contact. So, to the letter of the law it's a penalty, but with the application of common sense thrown in too, it probably isn't. The punishment should be proportionate to the crime in my opinion. Hence why a professional foul off the ball is different to this and can justify the awarding of a penalty. In this case, to award a spot kick looked disproportionately harsh.

Surely the question has to be asked of the keeper `why did you foul him?`, if you`re reckless enough to make that challenge in that situation your team deserves all it gets. I take the OP`s point about `degrees` of advantage (and it certainly wasn`t a clear goalscoring opportunity) but the keeper knows the rules like we all do.

IMO, if you`re dumb enough to put yourself in the position he did you must take the consequences. I expect Mick McCarthy`s first question to Bialkowski was `WTF were you doing?`

14 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Christ, only our fans could be given a penalty and then argue about the legitimacy of it. Move on people, we were given a pen, we won a game. Let's focus on the win instead

It's a perfectly valid point for discussion for those of us who want to delve a little deeper than "we won a game". I have no idea what "focus on the win" actually means in practice but if you don't like this thread there are plenty of others.

10 hours ago, 29AR said:

You're missing the point. I acknowledfe it is an offence which brings a foul. Personally I think common sense should prevail - for or against us - if the attacker is denied no advantage then a free run up shot from 12 yards is irrational. I'll cheer every one we get, I'll moan every one we concede. As a whole I think it's ludicrously disproportionate to award a pen in this circumstances 

The point is we do seem a bit to clean cut to ever be a real force in the real world of football. Good for us if at last we have won a pen that was dubious, we won't win anything except to be the champions of the Fair Play League with your and many others stance. We are as I have said seen as a bit soft, we do need to compete a bit better, and tougher.   

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Very soft penalty, by the letter of the law correct. Not complaining.

Think this sums it up nicely. Soft as in needless to give away, rather than soft as in not a penalty.

Also worth saying it's possible one of the reasons the ball ended up where it did was because of the challenge. Tammy knew if he got to the ball first, he was going to be taken out by a flying goalie. Arguably, if he instead had shot on target, it would have hit the goalie and then counted as a save. 

14 hours ago, 29AR said:

What's an advantage got to do with a penalty being awarded..?

A penalty is awarded for a foul inside to box. If he had been clean through on goal, the keeper would have been sent off aswell, probably. 

Archived