IGNORED

Cole Skuse yesterday

city1983

Anyone notice him?

thought it was a typical Skuse performance, the game just drifted him by, couple of nice touches and that is about it. Thought he may have been fired up a little playing against his former club but showed he just doesn't have the fire in his belly an not capable of lifting his game. I'll always remember him for being the mainstay in probably the most pathetic Bristol city team I have ever seen.

10 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Anyone notice him?

thought it was a typical Skuse performance, the game just drifted him by, couple of nice touches and that is about it. Thought he may have been fired up a little playing against his former club but showed he just doesn't have the fire in his belly an not capable of lifting his game. I'll always remember him for being the mainstay in probably the most pathetic Bristol city team I have ever seen.

Solid enough performer at this level but rarely effecting games imo. Much prefer Pack to Skuse.

I actually forgot he was playing. 

I'm not sure why some on here have such an anti Skuse viewpoint. 

Being mid table championship standard isn't to be sniffed at.

You know what you get from him. Steady, unremarkable, with occasional moment of exceptional, mixed with the odd game of liability. 

Anonymous is also how I'd describe it. Was always a bit indifferent on Skuse, did like the guy but when we were struggling in this league I'd notice him at times really shy away, never show for the ball or try to stamp his authority on a game. When a team is playing well however he fills that "unsung hero" role well. In my opinion all of our midfield options are better.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You know what you get from him. Steady, unremarkable, with occasional moment of exceptional, mixed with the odd game of liability. 

Agree.

When he left us he took a step up, Ipswich were a top half/play off contenders Championship side.

We are now their equals and on yesterday's evidence they have a lot to do to even regain that level.

I am embarrassed by the vitriol of the OP, Skuse may have lost his way with us surrounded by much of the mediocrity McInnes signed, but he is a decent Championship player who even in poor form gave his best and finally he is a City fan.

Pathetic.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

When he left us he took a step up, Ipswich were a top half/play off contenders Championship side.

We are now their equals and on yesterday's evidence they have a lot to do to even regain that level.

I am embarrassed by the vitriol of the OP, Skuse may have lost his way with us surrounded by much of the mediocrity McInnes signed, but he is a decent Championship player who even in poor form gave his best and finally he is a City fan.

Pathetic.

Yes, I noticed the sly fist pump after Freezers wonder goal ! :cool:

8 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Anonymous is also how I'd describe it. Was always a bit indifferent on Skuse, did like the guy but when we were struggling in this league I'd notice him at times really shy away, never show for the ball or try to stamp his authority on a game. When a team is playing well however he fills that "unsung hero" role well. In my opinion all of our midfield options are better.

This is spot on.

Skuse has always played that "water carrier" role so much maligned by Cantona when discussing Deschamps. He was quietly efficient & outmuscled Korey Smith on quite a few occasions before distributing the ball efficiently. He was never a goal scorer so no surprises not seeing him further forward. The fact Ipswich were pretty toothless was because their only decent forward player was McGoldrick.

Plus all this vitriol against him is readily unnecessary. Left us to stay at Championship level when others actually let us down, and is clearly capable to play at this level. Also a local boy and Red, who I spotted catching up with Bobby Reid at half time. So please just drop the hate...

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Skuse has always played that "water carrier" role so much maligned by Cantona when discussing Deschamps. He was quietly efficient & outmuscled Korey Smith on quite a few occasions before distributing the ball efficiently. He was never a goal scorer so no surprises not seeing him further forward. The fact Ipswich were pretty toothless was because their only decent forward player was McGoldrick.

Plus all this vitriol against him is readily unnecessary. Left us to stay at Championship level when others actually let us down, and is clearly capable to play at this level. Also a local boy and Red, who I spotted catching up with Bobby Reid at half time. So please just drop the hate...

So he didn't let us down yet others did?

He was part of the team that let us down in the final couple of his seasons here, thought he was pretty much anonymous and played his part in a pathetic midfield. He clearly stagnated and needed a fresh challenge to revive his career.

Fairly average player.

I turned my daughter on about 85 minutes as he picked the ball up and played it neatly sideways once again, and said "that was always the thing about Skuse, you would never know from watching him, whether you were 2-0 up or 2-0 down."  Seemed a nice guy, rarely let us down, but never really went beyond the ordinary. Except that night in Leicester after Ivan did his very best Messi impression of course!

Skuse plays that very unnoticed role of protecting the back four. Pretty much what he did at City.

Its a unflattering position but with Skuse playing the defensive midfielder role what did City actually create? The game was won by a penalty and a "worldie"  so essentially not that much.

Skuse goes about that role in very effective manner just as he did at City. 

Yes Skuses  job is to protect the back four.  As we scored 2 goals,  it pretty much summed his game up.  It wasn't just his defensive duties that was poor yesterday.  He created nothing,  and would agree with the majority he was pretty anonymous.  Always thought he should of been converted to a full back.  

I do find it sad that some fans really hate a player who is a City fan. He loves the club as much as we do...he gave his all...maybe it doesn't look like it all the time but players are all different in showing how they care etc.

He is what he is - an average Championship player and I personally wouldn't have him above any of our current midfielders - but to say he was a main part of the most pathetic City team is totally wrong.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

thought steady was a striker and put in a shift for us when he played

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Skuse plays that very unnoticed role of protecting the back four. Pretty much what he did at City.

Its a unflattering position but with Skuse playing the defensive midfielder role what did City actually create? The game was won by a penalty and a "worldie"  so essentially not that much.

Skuse goes about that role in very effective manner just as he did at City. 

No he didn't, you can't seriously believe what you just wrote?

His final season especially, he was ghosted around by opposition every game

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

No he didn't, you can't seriously believe what you just wrote?

His final season especially, he was ghosted around by opposition every game

:facepalm:    Ffs......

It's not the role of a defensive midfielder to create and spray Gerrardesque passes all over the pitch.

His job, like Pack is to protect the back line, win the ball and play to another whose job it is to create.

Its crucial role that sadly goes unnoticed by those fans who don't appreciate just how important that role is.

Archived