IGNORED

Cole Skuse yesterday

city1983

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:facepalm:    Ffs......

It's not the role of a defensive midfielder to create and spray Gerrardesque passes all over the pitch.

His job, like Pack is to protect the back line, win the ball and play to another whose job it is to create.

Its crucial role that sadly goes unnoticed by those fans who don't appreciate just how important that role is.

He didn't protect the back 4 at all.

Where did I say he was Gerrardesque? He did nothing, that midfield did nothing but expose the defence time & again, so in your words 

:facepalm: ffs

42 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

He didn't protect the back 4 at all.

Where did I say he was Gerrardesque? He did nothing, that midfield did nothing but expose the defence time & again, so in your words 

:facepalm: ffs

Like I posted earlier. It's not the job of  defensive midfielder to create. Its to break up the oppositions play, win the ball and pass to a more creative team mate.

Let me ask you this - how much did City create yesterday?  

Not much is the answer and Skuse played a huge role in that.

But hey! If you can't see or understand that then it's pointless discussing it with you.......:facepalm:

I think Alex Ferguson once said "if you like football, you have to like Michael Carrick" and for me Skuse is the same. Too many people think a 'good' footballer is someone who gets the ball and runs repeatedly everytime they get it because that's what they can do on FIFA. 

Skuse is always a 7/10, the amount of appearances he has in the championship speaks volumes. 

For me that's why Pack is an integral and unsung part of our team, does the nitty gritty stuff extremely well yet is widely underrated because he doesn't run with the ball past 3 players like Tomlin. 

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think Alex Ferguson once said "if you like football, you have to like Michael Carrick" and for me Skuse is the same. Too many people think a 'good' footballer is someone who gets the ball and runs repeatedly everytime they get it because that's what they can do on FIFA. 

Skuse is always a 7/10, the amount of appearances he has in the championship speaks volumes. 

For me that's why Pack is an integral and unsung part of our team, does the nitty gritty stuff extremely well yet is widely underrated because he doesn't run with the ball past 3 players like Tomlin. 

pack and smith but yesterday the defence as well

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I turned my daughter on about 85 minutes as he picked the ball up and played it neatly sideways once again, and said "that was always the thing about Skuse, you would never know from watching him, whether you were 2-0 up or 2-0 down."  Seemed a nice guy, rarely let us down, but never really went beyond the ordinary. Except that night in Leicester after Ivan did his very best Messi impression of course!

Route one Leicester, what ever happened to them?

1 hour ago, john from high littleton said:

Yes Skuses  job is to protect the back four.  As we scored 2 goals,  it pretty much summed his game up.  It wasn't just his defensive duties that was poor yesterday.  He created nothing,  and would agree with the majority he was pretty anonymous.  Always thought he should of been converted to a full back.  

Did he play fullback in a game against Cardiff to some effect?

First things first - him being a city fan should have no bearing on whether any of us rate him or not. If it did, we should all be seen as good footballers!

As for Cole as a player, he's fine, for the level he's at. He's mid table champ, and as said, solid 6 or 7/10 most weeks. I think he gives you consistency, but he isn't a player you want to bail you out in the bottom six, or kick you on in the top six. In an average team, he's an average to good player. In a poor team, he's an average to poor player. He's fine for what he does, but will never be 'the difference' or grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and to be fair, thats not him and never will be. But if I had a choice of Skuse/Pack/O'Neill/Smith, he'd be fourth. Just think he's more limited than the others, and being nice and disciplined only gets you so far.

Mad Mick rates him as a great signing. But theres a reason why Ipswich are the longest serving Championship team.

12 hours ago, city1983 said:

Anyone notice him?

thought it was a typical Skuse performance, the game just drifted him by, couple of nice touches and that is about it. Thought he may have been fired up a little playing against his former club but showed he just doesn't have the fire in his belly an not capable of lifting his game. I'll always remember him for being the mainstay in probably the most pathetic Bristol city team I have ever seen.

I went to the away match at Portman Road last season , And the few times he was near the ball I got the feeling  he just didn't want it  , and even pull out of tackles and play very much within himself , But at the end of the match stayed on the pitch way after his team mates had gone in the dressing rooms , and gave us fans an extended round of applause , In last seasons home match he was on a months injury ,   I get the feeling he wants to come " home" sooner than later .

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

First things first - him being a city fan should have no bearing on whether any of us rate him or not. If it did, we should all be seen as good footballers!

As for Cole as a player, he's fine, for the level he's at. He's mid table champ, and as said, solid 6 or 7/10 most weeks. I think he gives you consistency, but he isn't a player you want to bail you out in the bottom six, or kick you on in the top six. In an average team, he's an average to good player. In a poor team, he's an average to poor player. He's fine for what he does, but will never be 'the difference' or grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and to be fair, thats not him and never will be. But if I had a choice of Skuse/Pack/O'Neill/Smith, he'd be fourth. Just think he's more limited than the others, and being nice and disciplined only gets you so far.

Mad Mick rates him as a great signing. But theres a reason why Ipswich are the longest serving Championship team.

Ipswich were in the play offs last year so he was a top 6 team player...

If he were to leave at the end of his contract he could probably join any/most championship club. 

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Are Ipswich the longest serving SBC team because of Mad Mick or because Skuse limits the amount of goals they concede?  

Theyre pretty lightweight up front.

If we was a true big city fan he should have stayed with us and become a city legend.

He does a good job, he's the sort of player that you would look class with a worldy attack in front of him. Like most defensive midfielders ie. Mikel.

He left for ipswich to remain a championship player but theyve not threatened promotion.

Meh, Sunday night

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Ipswich were in the play offs last year so he was a top 6 team player...

If he were to leave at the end of his contract he could probably join any/most championship club. 

I don't disagree with the second point at all, and I'm not slating him as a player. He is far better than me, you, or anyone else on this forum. And I apologise, I had forgotten that Ipswich were top six last year. But I do genuinely think if anyone sees Cole as a consistent top six midfielder (which is therefore a lower PL midfielder) is over-stating his ability. He, like anyone, has a level. And at 30 (I think), with the level of Champ experience he has, I would suggest that the wider football community probably feels he's at it - or a lower prem/consistent top six club would have come in. Again - he's not awful, he's just a solid mid-level champ performer and him being a BCFC fan doesn't raise him above that!

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are Ipswich the longest serving SBC team because of Mad Mick or because Skuse limits the amount of goals they concede?  

Theyre pretty lightweight up front.

I think the two centre halves and the keeper limit the amount they concede. Bartolski has always been a good keeper, and Berra/Chambers are a solid, big and ugly combination which work well (Wilbs got nowt yesterday). Ipswich are known for working under a financial constraint currently so they have to be solid and hope for the best and Skuse no doubt helps that, but for me, isn't the decisive factor. Fair play to McCarthy for setting them up like that - its not exciting, but it saves them being Bolton/Sheff Utd and treading water in the Champ and being financially solvent isn't the worst place to be. Do agree on the latter though - loss of Murphy in late August didn't help.

I only ever saw him away from home and that is where he probably shone more so than when we were at home taking the game to the opposition.

Away when we iften had to take the sting out of the game he was in his element. Disciplined, ensuring we kept our shape, blocking runs and space Cole Skuse shone. He is an extremely good holding midfielder.

37 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think you are all forgetting Skuse created the best chance of the game

Was about to post the very same. 

Always amazes me how some people claim to have been at the game, but miss so much.

Not his greatest fan by any stretch, but a perfectly weighted through ball with his left foot created their best chance yesterday. Polar opposite of the sideways passing many on here are claiming.

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Always amazes me how some people claim to have been at the game, but miss so much.

Not his greatest fan by any stretch, but a perfectly weighted through ball with his left foot created their best chance yesterday. Polar opposite of the sideways passing many on here are claiming.

Most fans simply follow the ball in play and consequently don't see the formation so clearly and who is playing in what role.

Yesterday Tomlin started on the left but soon began to wander so I sssume he had a "roaming" brief from LJ. He had a good game.

I watched Skuse as closely as the game allowed and he did pretty much what he did at City. He kept everything as simple as possible. He made several interceptions and then played an easy pass. I saw him misplace one pass all game. As others have pointed out he put McGoldrick in with a good ball.

In someways he's like Goldbourne - does a steady and reliable job by keeping it as simple as possible and because of that goes largely unnoticed.

On 12/4/2016 at 19:23, john from high littleton said:

Yes Skuses  job is to protect the back four.  As we scored 2 goals,  it pretty much summed his game up.  It wasn't just his defensive duties that was poor yesterday.  He created nothing,  and would agree with the majority he was pretty anonymous.  Always thought he should of been converted to a full back.  

See the replay again and its Cole Skuses pass that sets up their best chance that was saved and then hit the post.  Bit harsh mate 

Archived