IGNORED

Adge Cutler - memorial stone.

Robbored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

IMG_0718.JPGTook this photo earlier today at Christchurch Nailsea.

Theres nothing else but this stone in the  wall.

Took me a while to find it.

Made similar visits to you twice in recent years... brother  was a Wurzel fan since childhood we went a few years ago a day or two after what would have Adges birthday, took along some flowers and like you had trouble finding what was then a very weathered stone in the wall and it was difficult to make out the inscription. Was also a little saddened that despite the proximity of a recent birthday anniversary the site appeared undisturbed with little sign of the tributes we kind of expected to find. We left a little bunch of flowers anyway.

The stone as I said also appeared rather neglected at the time, and was the same on a subsequent visit, so it is actually nice to see your photo Robbored which clearly shows the stone has received attention and the inscription is clean and easily readable once again... as you say it is a rather lonely looking stone alone in the wall the other side of which is literally a footpath on a busy road near to a bus stop...

It is great to know that at long last a fitting tribute to this son of Nailsea now stands in the shape of a statue at the nearby Royal Oak public house that is widely associated with Adge Cutler and the original Wurzels...  

It's a start but I believe more should be made of this mans legacy here in the West Country, the legacy lives on in so many hearts and minds but there is still so little to show for it physically... Why there is no kind of Adage Cutler 'themed' venue baffles me.. I'm sure it would prove to be a significant attraction, ( hmm, how about a bar at the Gate ? )

Anyway its great that your photo demonstrates that his distinctly low profile memorial stone in the Christchurch graveyard has been cleaned up in recent times...  and is there to see for anyone prepared to seek it out. 

10 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Made similar visits to you twice in recent years... brother  was a Wurzel fan since childhood we went a few years ago a day or two after what would have Adges birthday, took along some flowers and like you had trouble finding what was then a very weathered stone in the wall and it was difficult to make out the inscription. Was also a little saddened that despite the proximity of a recent birthday anniversary the site appeared undisturbed with little sign of the tributes we kind of expected to find. We left a little bunch of flowers anyway.

The stone as I said also appeared rather neglected at the time, and was the same on a subsequent visit, so it is actually nice to see your photo Robbored which clearly shows the stone has received attention and the inscription is clean and easily readable once again... as you say it is a rather lonely looking stone alone in the wall the other side of which is literally a footpath on a busy road near to a bus stop...

It is great to know that at long last a fitting tribute to this son of Nailsea now stands in the shape of a statue at the nearby Royal Oak public house that is widely associated with Adge Cutler and the original Wurzels...  

It's a start but I believe more should be made of this mans legacy here in the West Country, the legacy lives on in so many hearts and minds but there is still so little to show for it physically... Why there is no kind of Adage Cutler 'themed' venue baffles me.. I'm sure it would prove to be a significant attraction, ( hmm, how about a bar at the Gate ? )

Anyway its great that your photo demonstrates that his distinctly low profile memorial stone in the Christchurch graveyard has been cleaned up in recent times...  and is there to see for anyone prepared to seek it out. 

If the new bar underneath the Atyeo becomes a reality,perhaps it could be called the Adge Cutler bar.

54 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

If the new bar underneath the Atyeo becomes a reality,perhaps it could be called the Adge Cutler bar.

The problem is there are so many people deserving of a lasting tribute in the 'new' stadium -  from just my lifetime there's (in my opinion) Terry Cooper, Beryl Fudge, Alan Dicks and the 1976 boys, the Ashton Gate Eight, Brian Tinnion, Rob Newman etc etc - and there's also loads others from way back - the 1906/07 team, the 1908/09 team, the sides that won championships in the 1920s and 1950s - there's probably more too - where do we draw the line?!  

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The problem is there are so many people deserving of a lasting tribute in the 'new' stadium -  from just my lifetime there's (in my opinion) Terry Cooper, Beryl Fudge, Alan Dicks and the 1976 boys, the Ashton Gate Eight, Brian Tinnion, Rob Newman etc etc - and there's also loads others from way back - the 1906/07 team, the 1908/09 team, the sides that won championships in the 1920s and 1950s - there's probably more too - where do we draw the line?!  

Who drank the most cider.

Archived