IGNORED

Lee Johnson signed up till 2020

Kid in the Riot

Not needed at the moment. Club moving in the right direction, LJ is doing well but I don't think well enough to be attracting interest from other clubs. We have seen before how once these longer term contracts have been signed things can go wrong on the pitch.

IF we have a bad few months between now and the end of the season followed by a bad start next season then the pressure will be on.

Just think this could have waited until we seen how this season played out and a new deal done over the summer if deserved.

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

Madness IMO. Will football clubs ever learn? LJ is a bad run away from getting sacked, setting ourselves up for a pretty heafty fall compensation wise yet again.

Maybe clubs should stop sacking managers after a 'bad run' then. About time we saw some faith in the long term project. Glad the club are more forward thinking than some of our support.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Madness IMO. Will football clubs ever learn? LJ is a bad run away from getting sacked, setting ourselves up for a pretty heafty fall compensation wise yet again.

Come on. Do you really think there won't be a maximum pay off fee, as there is in most managers contracts

9 minutes ago, bris red said:

And a very hefty return if LJ gets it right with us which I think he will,

lets face it, it's not as if the owner is skint is it 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe clubs should stop sacking managers after a 'bad run' then. About time we saw some faith in the long term project. Glad the club are more forward thinking than some of our support.

Would you still want to stick with him if we became relegation fodder? And all the work from the beginning of the season just disappeared. I'm only being curious. Football in general is fickle, if you win 5 games in a row you talk about promotion and to a great future. If you loss 5 games in a row you start to panic and question why all variables are drying up.

Everyone has a different opinion. Some will be glad he has signed an extension, as it is possible LJ has great potential to become a top manager. Others may not even like LJ so will be bitter over the news. Others like myself, will see it in the sense of he hasn't done anything to make you go wow so far. Being honest, the football hasn't been that impressive either. I just don't see where he has deserved a new extension yet. I'm happy with LJ and the progress made from last season of course. Just does not merit an extension though in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Would you still want to stick with him if we became relegation fodder? And all the work from the beginning of the season just disappeared. I'm only being curious. Football in general is fickle, if you win 5 games in a row you talk about promotion and to a great future. If you loss 5 games in a row you start to panic and question why all variables are drying up.

Everyone has a different opinion. Some will be glad he has signed an extension, as it is possible LJ has great potential to become a top manager. Others may not even like LJ so will be bitter over the news. Others like myself, will see it in the sense of he hasn't done anything to make you go wow so far. Being honest, the football hasn't been that impressive either. I just don't see where he has deserved a new extension yet. I'm happy with LJ and the progress made from last season of course. Just does not merit an extension though in my eyes.

It's entirely contextual - if we looked doomed, like the last time we were relegated, you'd have to evaluate the situation accordingly. I hate the fickleness of football - I wish people were more patient. Too much desire for instant gratification.

I don't really flap if we lose a few games like some on here, or go overboard if we win a few, we're clearly a work in progress. 

I think it's a smart move. He kept us up, bought well, we've moved from relegation candidates to a comfortable mid table side in less than a year.. the signs are good. He will also continue to improve.. he's still learning all the time. Best is yet to come from him and the squad.

15 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's entirely contextual - if we looked doomed, like the last time we were relegated, you'd have to evaluate the situation accordingly. I hate the fickleness of football - I wish people were more patient. Too much desire for instant gratification.

I don't really flap if we lose a few games like some on here, or go overboard if we win a few, we're clearly a work in progress. 

I think it's a smart move. He kept us up, bought well, we've moved from relegation candidates to a comfortable mid table side in less than a year.. the signs are good. He will also continue to improve.. he's still learning all the time. Best is yet to come from him and the squad.

I agree with you both in some ways.

I think there is more chance of bigger teams coming in for LJ than him being sacked.

Hence the contract extension gives security for both. Plus if anyone comes sniffing they'll have to pay handsomely for his services.

One way of looking at it, is that LJ is just a cog in a wheel.

This is the first time, in all my time following this Club, where we are actually doing things correctly and Professionally.

A team of staff working together, not against one another.

Managers come and go... it's the manager that works with everyone that works.

We've had so many managers looking after themselves...creating a bubble of protection around them. Falling out with others.

I've never seen so much harmony at this Club before. Maybe under Terry Cooper when it was backs to the walls...but not since.

We will go on a bad run...we will have poor performances. But all Clubs do. And guess what...they all sack their manager. Sacking managers doesn't bring success. Long term strategy and harmony does.

I actually feel sorry for any manager that comes to us.

We have expectations far beyond our station. Always the sleeping giant. The biggest under achievers....yet fans talk so easily about making the Prem and deserving to be in the top half of the Championship...when our history proves none of that is realistic so quickly.

I'm loving seeing this Club actually start doing the right things at long last.

We have a bright new manager who is modern in his thoughts and with good contacts. He ticks many box's.

I really hope we all grow as a club together and have some understanding when things go wrong.

If we are getting battered every week, and the wheels are falling off behind the scenes, then yes...time to move on. But when it's going this well...it's good to reward those and make them feel wanted and show you are behind their hard work and ethics.

Hopefully the fickle unrealistic fans, will start understanding how this league works and just how far we've come in a short time.

As at the moment, I feel that's our only weakness.

Sorry if it's been said above, I've not read all of the comments.

He is very highly thought of throughout football, and we're coming into the time of the year when the top brass start pulling the trigger. This will either mean it will put clubs off going after LJ, or it will ensure a hefty compensation package if someone does take him away.

Could also be an encouraging sign that there are a few decent potential signings on the horizon. To a potential signing, to see the "project" as well as knowing that the coach/manager is signed up for the long haul as well, must be an encouraging sign.  

A contract only means that you're guaranteed x amount for x amount of years, until you either decide you want to go, or get sacked. In the latter case you get a nice pay off. Contracts in football mean bugger all really.

While some may be disappointed that he hasn't won us the championship already, I think he's a great guy, he knows his football and has got the club on the road to success . Might not be this season, but soon enough and as long as people are patient they'll be some good times to come - short term and long term . 

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Madness in this day and age. He will get sacked and need to be paid off. It happens to most managers. He's done an OK job but worth tying to the club for another four years? Give me a break

...and if the old contract had a 1 year pay-off and the new contract has a 1 year pay-off...? Nobody on here will know.

We don't know the details. Yet you are in a position to comment.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think there is more chance of bigger teams coming in for LJ than him being sacked.

Hence the contract extension gives security for both. Plus if anyone comes sniffing they'll have to pay handsomely for his services.

One way of looking at it, is that LJ is just a cog in a wheel.

This is the first time, in all my time following this Club, where we are actually doing things correctly and Professionally.

A team of staff working together, not against one another.

Managers come and go... it's the manager that works with everyone that works.

We've had so many managers looking after themselves...creating a bubble of protection around them. Falling out with others.

I've never seen so much harmony at this Club before. Maybe under Terry Cooper when it was backs to the walls...but not since.

We will go on a bad run...we will have poor performances. But all Clubs do. And guess what...they all sack their manager. Sacking managers doesn't bring success. Long term strategy and harmony does.

I actually feel sorry for any manager that comes to us.

We have expectations far beyond our station. Always the sleeping giant. The biggest under achievers....yet fans talk so easily about making the Prem and deserving to be in the top half of the Championship...when our history proves none of that is realistic so quickly.

I'm loving seeing this Club actually start doing the right things at long last.

We have a bright new manager who is modern in his thoughts and with good contacts. He ticks many box's.

I really hope we all grow as a club together and have some understanding when things go wrong.

If we are getting battered every week, and the wheels are falling off behind the scenes, then yes...time to move on. But when it's going this well...it's good to reward those and make them feel wanted and show you are behind their hard work and ethics.

Hopefully the fickle unrealistic fans, will start understanding how this league works and just how far we've come in a short time.

As at the moment, I feel that's our only weakness.

liked your post except for ticking box's , imho the only time boxes should be mentioned is in "Little boxes on the hill side*

Archived