IGNORED

The Official Huddersfield Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Huddersfield deserved that - much better team.

We looked poor in comparison.

I'd have 5 or 6 of their players over ours.

I agree with you.

We had some good chances, but overall they played much better, deserving to win.

In our team, I save Magnusson,Abraham and Reid; Smith, Fielding and Golbourne were probably the worse ones.

Our form isn't that surprising. We didn't play great to start the season. We won ugly which is fine but as soon as Tammy's goals dried up the confidence started dipping. We are a quality side with 1 or 2 mistakes in them per game that get punished every time. We need to be a quality side with 1 or 2 mistakes per month. I don't know how you cut the mistakes out. I guess it would be better players. Who would've thought our most ample position we are probably at our weakest with CM. Only Bobby Reid has played consistently well all year but gets dropped when someone else gets fit. GON is mostly quality I think has just played a bit too much at times. They'd be my starting pairing from now on if we insist on 442. Bobby has proven time and time again he'll track back and help the team out and has the energy to do so. The attacking he's always looking forward and getting into good positions. 

How bad are we calling out for proper wide players as well. Tell me Van La Parra wouldn't be a gem for us. Their defense didn't look great either other than Smith. What a performance from him. Need Matthews to get to that level which he's capable of. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We are a work in progress. Even our own manager says that. Works in progress don't have a complete team of top-quality players ready for the Premier League. They have a combination of excellent, good and average players.

We are improving - look at our league position compared to last year - and very few people expect us to be genuine promotion contenders this season.

Stop overreacting to every defeat and find some perspective on what we currently are. We will win games and we will lose games, because we are a mid table side.

My point is that at the moment we are NOT a mid table side in terms of the form chart.  We need to act in January or the usual story in this league for City will be back on the agenda, i.e. being promoted with huge optimism only to fail within a very short time

When you have supported City as long as I have then it is not a question of short term perspective but long term!

• Like 1

The last few games have been a reality check. Earlier in the season we had poor to average performances but picked up points due to Tammy's goals. This wasn't sustainable or he would have ended the season with 40 goals. The deficiencies in the team aren't new, just more obvious. Pre season there was a lot of optimism due to the large number of signings made, but too many can't even get onto the pitch. Patterson, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Engvall - what have they contributed this season?

4 minutes ago, yardy said:

Never really got hold of the game today, we needed more possession and composure on the ball.

We need to be playing 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 i think this formation suits our squad.

Gotta be said that Hudders Mooy was class today, never put a foot wrong and looked like he had more time on the ball than anyone else.....premiership class!

I've watched him playing for Melbourne City 2 years, (on Tv), class player as you say, Not going to get a game at Man City though, Huddersfield are very privileged to have him, would have loved him to be our player. 

We didn't have much if the ball, and did even less with it. We played well at Birmingham and came away with nothing, today we got what we deserved. We must pick up points st home now, any cushion has disappeared.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We are a work in progress. Even our own manager says that. Works in progress don't have a complete team of top-quality players ready for the Premier League. They have a combination of excellent, good and average players.

We are improving - look at our league position compared to last year - and very few people expect us to be genuine promotion contenders this season.

Stop overreacting to every defeat and find some perspective on what we currently are. We will win games and we will lose games, because we are a mid table side.

How much longer will the work in progress excuse last. It seems to me that City at the moment are making no progress. Indeed since the end of last season we have gone backwards. About time LJ started to improve the performance of the squad  we have instead of talking of another 2 transfer windows.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

My point is that at the moment we are NOT a mid table side in terms of the form chart.  We need to act in January or the usual story in this league for City will be back on the agenda, i.e. being promoted with huge optimism only to fail within a very short time

When you have supported City as long as I have then it is not a question of short term perspective but long term!

If you're more interested in the long term than the short, then look at the league table not the form table.

2 minutes ago, Redandy said:

How much longer will the work in progress excuse last. It seems to me that City at the moment are making no progress. Indeed since the end of last season we have gone backwards. About time LJ started to improve the performance of the squad  we have instead of talking of another 2 transfer windows.

Bottom half League One.

League One winners

18th in Championship

13th in Championship.

If that isn't progress I don't know what is. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are expecting to happen overnight.

Poor game from us.

Think the commentator said we've conceded first in 14 games?  That's appalling.  Not going to suggest a solution, but that is clearly a significant problem. 

I think Huddersfield were better, and deserved 3 points, but a big part of that is they are set up to get the ball into their dangermen as much as possible; we don't have the same focus - Tomlin and Tammy are feeding off scraps, and so we don't look dangerous for long periods.

And I'm not sure Pack and Smith work as a two man midfield; I'd prefer one or the other with Gary O'Neil, or even Bobby Reid, who again showed he adds forward motion and movement to the side others don't.

Plus our young Swede must be wondering what he has to do to get a game; why are we not throwing him on to see if he can make an impact?  What's the point of our only forward on the bench seemingly not being an option is when chasing the game?

Oh well; disappointing, but onwards and upwards.  Could have been worse; Frankie could have (rightly) got sent, then we'd have lost by more, I've no doubt in my mind.

Credit to Huddersfield; look a decent side.  Well, except for the alice-band wearing prat in their defence - that cheating ***** can **** off.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you're more interested in the long term than the short, then look at the league table not the form table.

Sorry you misunderstand the points I am trying to make.  

1. Our current form is not midtable and unless improvement occurs it matters not what the first part of the season was like.  It is always difficult to halt a slide.

2. My long term perspective, of eight decades, is to suggest that the usual default position for City in this league is that slides are seldom halted for more than half a season or so - as last season

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree about a work in progress, but come on Fielding, Golbourne, Pack, Smith, Freeman and Tomlin, were all shocking today and I personally believe that the 3 highlighted are not good enough IMO.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We hardly had the ball, created nothing - seemed Lee set up not to lose and it back fired

ScreenShot_20161210165854.png

In all fairness a tad difficult for Lee to legislate for a useless back pass and an even worse effort at dealing with it; I think we might have even nicked the game had that utter ineptness, by both players, not occurred. Football is a ruthless game and i would like to drop both of them. The only problem is that if you drop Fielding you bring another goalie in who, in my view, is not as good which leaves Lucic... maybe it is his time.

Edited by havanatopia