IGNORED

The Official Huddersfield Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

The commentator said that there's two contrasting styles between us and Huddersfield, is that the game we're trying to play here? Hoof it long and attempt to pick up the scraps? Where's the patterns of play? Movement on and off the ball. I'm 99% sure this isn't LJ's footballing philosophy so something isn't quite adding up. I'm sure we'll have a different formation on Tuesday and new players in new positions and so continues this really odd season for us. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree about a work in progress, but come on Fielding, Golbourne, Pack, Smith, Freeman and Tomlin, were all shocking today and I personally believe that the 3 highlighted are not good enough IMO.

You highlighted four! If they are not good enough then they are the "average" players I referred to.

I can't comment on the specifics of today's game as I wasn't there.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You highlighted four! If they are not good enough then they are the "average" players I referred to.

I can't comment on the specifics of today's game as I wasn't there.

Sorry yes I meant 4, Pack managed to take 3 free kicks in a 10 minute period in the 2nd half and twice hit the first Huddersfield barely 10 yards away and the other straight out of touch, he took 4 or so free kicks in the 1st half that were equally woeful.

Backed LJ since he joined and still do. But now is where he starts to earn his money for me. Players are easy to manage when we have a few "lucky" wins early season and confidence is high, but the cracks are there and he now needs to heal them. This is where good managers prove there worth.

Come on LJ, show us what you can do?

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We hardly had the ball, created nothing - seemed Lee set up not to lose and it back fired

ScreenShot_20161210165854.png

And yet, played with 2 up top and 2 creative wide men.  I think the problem is trying a accommodate certain players while not knowing the best players or system. If he had started with Wilbs/Tammy on the bench and an extra midfielder I would have been happy, could have built on last week with a draw. As it stands we have to start again . With doubts over 2 of 3 keepers , the 3 holding midfielders , in fact any one of the 11 (maybe with the exception of Flint and Mags, Possibly Mathews) and you couldn't argue.  Also I don't get why Engvall is good enough to get on the bench but can't get on even when we're desperate for a goal. 

It is really starting to look like we bought players that look like investments, rather than to fit into a plan. December and no one , not even our manager, knows our best 11 or system.  

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Bottom half League One.

League One winners

18th in Championship

13th in Championship.

If that isn't progress I don't know what is. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are expecting to happen overnight.

Let's see where we finish to know if weve made progress or not.

Two big home games now really need at least 4 points.

Today we certainly looked like a side nearer the bottom than the top.

• Like 1

What is this work in progress tosh?! Do you think that any club is given time to mess about and build a footballing dynasty these days? Utter garbage. It's just an excuse for having a team that lacks in quality at this level. Karl Robinson was given years at the franchise and they are back to treading water again.

Is Tomlin Adebayor in disguise? Did we actually sign Engvall or is it a cardboard cut out on the bench? If there isn't enough pressure to get the lad in side already just imagine how it will be when he is expected to save us from a relegation dog fight after Christmas?

Lee Johnson said it himself that we won a lot of the early season games when we didn't deserve to. Take away Tammy's goals and we would be in a dog fight now. So now our luck has ran out and our performances haven't greatly improved the penny is beginning to drop for fans that have been subjected to this boom and bust football for decades.

The happy clappers are still believing the work in progress propaganda, but the reality is that the majority of Lee's signings have delivered little or no return. The other Barnsley players that he wanted to sign (probably the better ones) chose to go elsewhere.

Be interesting to see what happens in January, but the responsibility for continual lacklustre performances rests at the door of the manager. 

Something needs to happen soon, either we put in a quality performance or two on the bounce or we purchase one or two players with Championship quality in January otherwise I fear that the slide may continue.

Anyway, at least we can forget about the playoffs now. Back to squeaky bum time!

• Like 19
6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

What is this work in progress tosh?! Do you think that any club is given time to mess about and build a footballing dynasty these days? Utter garbage. It's just an excuse for having a team that lacks in quality at this level. Karl Robinson was given years at the franchise and they are back to treading water again.

Is Tomlin Adebayor in disguise? Did we actually sign Engvall or is it a cardboard cut out on the bench? If there isn't enough pressure to get the lad in side already just imagine how it will be when he is expected to save us from a relegation dog fight after Christmas?

Lee Johnson said it himself that we won a lot of the early season games when we didn't deserve to. Take away Tammy's goals and we would be in a dog fight now. So now our luck has ran out and our performances haven't greatly improved the penny is beginning to drop for fans that have been subjected to this boom and bust football for decades.

The happy clappers are still believing the work in progress propaganda, but the reality is that the majority of Lee's signings have delivered little or no return. The other Barnsley players that he wanted to sign (probably the better ones) chose to go elsewhere.

Be interesting to see what happens in January, but the responsibility for continual lacklustre performances rests at the door of the manager. 

Something needs to happen soon, either we put in a quality performance or two on the bounce or we purchase one or two players with Championship quality in January otherwise I fear that the slide may continue.

Anyway, at least we can forget about the playoffs now. Back to squeaky bum time!

Excellently put.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

No, other clubs aren't given time to build a dynasty, and therein lies the problem, because it requires both time and patience.

What exactly is it that you are expecting from a club who has only recently escaped the league below and doesn't have the benefit of parachute payments unlike many others in the division?

If we lack quality at this level then that must go for the 11 teams below us as well.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No, other clubs aren't given time to build a dynasty, and therein lies the problem, because it requires both time and patience.

And the right manager.  You can have all the time and patience in the world, but without the right manager it means nothing.

We're hanging our hat on a man who's never built a dynasty, or shown any signs of building a dynasty being the man to build our dynasty.  You'll have to forgive my cynicism; I didn't get the kool aid memo. 

27 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Superb post 

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

And the right manager.  You can have all the time and patience in the world, but without the right manager it means nothing.

We're hanging our hat on a man who's never built a dynasty, or shown any signs of building a dynasty being the man to build our dynasty.  You'll have to forgive my cynicism; I didn't get the kool aid memo. 

Oh no...?

30 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

You've been itching to post that for a while, haven't you?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What exactly is it that you are expecting from a club who has only recently escaped the league below and doesn't have the benefit of parachute payments unlike many others in the division?

If we lack quality at this level then that must go for the 11 teams below us as well.

I think Leicester's Premiership success last season proved that having loads of money doesn't guarantee success on the field, but 11 players working as a complete team is what breeds success.

I can't remember Holloway having any money or parachute payments when he took relegation certs Blackpool into the Premiership? Or am I missing something? 

What have we seen this season? Mainly poor performances with a nice slice of luck and Tammy going on a run of scoring, making up for a severe lack of goals from other areas of the team.

Lee doesn't know his best team or formation....a problem that is strangely being mirrored by our near neighbours in South Glos.

We can happy clap all we want, but we are slipping and the glitter is beginning to drop off and I can see a bit of a turd underneath...not sure if anyone else shares the same view, but I have supported City a long time and am used to seeing the all too familiar signs.

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I'll come back on this again - you say being a work in progress is "an excuse for a team that lacks quality" - I agree with that, and it's valid excuse. We do lack quality, and that's because you can't transform a League One side into a Championship promotion-chasing side overnight. Compare the side we have now to the one that went up a couple of years ago, and man-for-man its superior. But it still doesn't have the quality to compete at the top end of the division. So we're somewhere between the two, hence why I use the term "work in progress". If that makes me a happy clapper then so be it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'll come back on this again - you say being a work in progress is "an excuse for a team that lacks quality" - I agree with that, and it's valid excuse. We do lack quality, and that's because you can't transform a League One side into a Championship promotion-chasing side overnight. Compare the side we have now to the one that went up a couple of years ago, and man-for-man its superior. But it still doesn't have the quality to compete at the top end of the division. So we're somewhere between the two, hence why I use the term "work in progress". If that makes me a happy clapper then so be it.

Ok  quite a few teams have come from league 1 to be promotion chasing team (us being one) And one or two have gone straight through the divisions.

I don't think you can come out with this judgement about our progress until the seasons ended.

I for one was excited with all our young signings and that performance from Hudds today was what I hoping the likes of Brownhill,O'Dowda,Paterson  could produce down the gate.

At the time we look a million miles away. my worry is we always seem to have all these players for tomorrow and as we know it never seems to come!!!

Hope your optimism wins!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Ok  quite a few teams have come from league 1 to be promotion chasing team (us being one) And one or two have gone straight through the divisions.

I don't think you can come out with this judgement about our progress until the seasons ended.

I for one was excited with all our young signings and that performance from Hudds today was what I hoping the likes of Brownhill,O'Dowda,Paterson  could produce down the gate.

At the time we look a million miles away. my worry is we always seem to have all these players for tomorrow and as we know it never seems to come!!!

Hope your optimism wins!!!!!!!

Agree that ultimately we can only judge the season, and the progress, at the end of the season. But if we are making judgements then I think it's fairer to do it based on our season overall so far, rather than a recent run of games.

If we are saying it's not good enough because we're not shooting up through the divisions like sides have occasionally done in the past, then I think that sets the bar unreasonably high. I think it's more reasonable to expect year-on-year incremental improvement, and we are currently on course to achieve that.

I wouldn't describe myself as particularly optimistic and I do understand the concern about our form - of course it's a worry. I guess I'm just less inclined to throw the toys out of the pram as some are currently doing, because overall it still looks to me like we're heading in the right direction. People seem to forget where we were this time last year.

• Like 1