IGNORED

Bobby Reid worth £5m when HE learns to shoot says MANAGER

EnclosureSurge

The telling sentence for me is...

"If he has the same attitude as Yannick, then he could achieve the same thing.''

He's got all the talent...but he's the type of player you just want to grab by the throat and shout in his face...'FFS Bobby, just grow some balls and get some aggression'.

Way too nice...has all the technical skills, but needs to man up and show some balls in front of goal.

Reminds me of Kanye West in a football kit...thinks he's the best player in the world without delivering...put some extra effort in, and stop being distracted and thinking you've already made it. Drop the attitude of being 'down wiv da kidz' , or whatever the latest 'gansta' in thing is, and concentrate on being a bloody good footballer. Otherwise you'll end up at Gillingham like the other loser who thinks he's Gods gift to music and the London 'Scene'... :facepalm: ;)

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

"If he has the same attitude as Yannick, then he could achieve the same thing.''

He's got all the talent...but he's the type of player you just want to grab by the throat and shout in his face...'FFS Bobby, just grow some balls and get some aggression'.

Way too nice...has all the technical skills, but needs to man up and show some balls in front of goal.

Reminds me of Kanye West in a football kit...thinks he's the best player in the world without delivering...put some extra effort in, and stop being distracted and thinking you've already made it. Drop the attitude of being 'down wiv da kidz' , or whatever the latest 'gansta' in thing is, and concentrate on being a bloody good footballer. Otherwise you'll end up at Gillingham like the other loser who thinks he's Gods gift to music and the London 'Scene'... :facepalm: ;)

Can't agree at all there, Spud.

Young Robert is perhaps the most aggressive (in the best sense of the word) player in our squad. Harries opponents, chases down balls, wants to be involved all the time and always gives 100% for 90 minutes.

It is his technical skills he has to work on, not his work rate.

That said he's the squad's third highest scorer (and has scored three more than Bolassie to date!) and I think it's others whose shooting skills need to come under scrutiny first.

Interesting comparison with Bolasie at the same age, but he was a winger of course.

If Bobby's finishing is so great in training why has he always been so wayward in matches?

Almost 6 years since his debut, under 5 different managers, and who knows how many coaches, and nothing much has changed in that respect.

He's still incredibly wasteful.

LJ says they work to get him on the end of moves, so he gets all these chances, but what is LJ doing to ensure that policy - which seems to be working well - is more productive?

Just saying there's a great finisher in there somewhere is a bit meaningless unless you're convinced you're going to be the manager to bring it out of him, and fairly quickly.

Fantastic if Bobby starts taking more chances soon and his confidence in front of goal shoots up, but otherwise perhaps altering Bobby's role in the team, and giving a different player licence to be the 'third man' at the end of these moves might lead to more chances being taken?

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

thinks he's the best player in the world without delivering...

Drop the attitude of being 'down wiv da kidz' , or whatever the latest 'gansta' in thing is, 

Why do you assume he has that attitude?

What is it about Bobby that makes you say he is "gansta"?

In the interviews I've seen and the way he works on the pitch he seems to be a good professional to me.

10 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Why do you assume he has that attitude?

What is it about Bobby that makes you say he is "gansta"?

In the interviews I've seen and the way he works on the pitch he seems to be a good professional to me.

Have to say Spud

Was gonna ask the same

Is it something you've heard ?

TBF as @Tinman left peg said he comes across pretty humble / sensible in interviews and when he was with Twentyman 

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Where's this rant come from?

I'll give my opinions on Bobby football wise, but as an individual he seems to me to be a really good lad and a credit to the club.

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

if you get booked for removing your shirt that must be a sending off offence

Perhaps I didn't put it so well in my post...Bobby is a fantastic player, he has technical attributes as LJ so rightly points out, and is 100% trier.

However...he imo, based on what I've been told from coach's and from when out on loan, has an attitude of being a bit of a billy big bollox and thinks he's already made it. Not outwardly shown...but in his own head.

Now that may sound harsh, and I agree, he comes across as a decent lad...and give 100%.

But in saying that...he's in a comfort zone. That's why he needs a verbal kick up the arse.

If he didn't have the talent, it wouldn't be so frustrating. Someone who knows him well, said to me that if he had Joe Bryans aptitude and desire, then he would be one hell of a player. But he doesn't.

Nice lad and all...but needs to realise he needs to work harder.

Hence the LJ comments I guess.

While he does need to score more goals (something he has in common with every single other midfielder at the club) and he has missed some very good chances over the last couple of months, I do feel that his hopelessness in front of goal is becoming slightly exaggerated. 

Since the Sheffield Wednesday game at the end of last season he has scored 6 in 30 games. Not particularly fantastic, but also not dreadful. For comparison in the same space of time, Tomlin who will have played more minutes and is given much more of a licence has scored 5 in 29 if you ignore his penalties.

It is pretty clear however that he has lost confidence in front of goal, but I am slightly heartened by the fact that after his goal in that Sheffield Wednesday game I have mentioned he did evidently become more confident and at the back end of last season and the start of this he was very willing to get a shot off whenever he had the chance. I'm somewhat of a defender of Reid, but I used to genuinely think he was one of the least likely scorers you will ever see. I remember Cotterill brought him for one of his very few appearances in the double winning season (possibly Preston at home) and as he went to take a shot from outside the box I remember thinking 'Car Park' and sure as anything it troubled nobody other than the bloke tasked with fetching stray balls. The clear improvement in him after scoring that goal against Wednesday was obvious and fingers crossed that is a confidence he can find again rather than it being no more than a somewhat flukey and random purple patch.

Unlike a lot of our midfielders he does keep trying to get into positions to score and hopefully he'll get one soon and start looking more like he did earlier in the season in front of goal rather than continuing to miss the chances he has done recently.

I remember back a couple of years ago, Bobby was playing in a reserve match at Ashton Gate and a load of his family were there naturally supporting him. I can't remember why but I had to wait around a while after the game so saw him meet up with his family, they all walked to the bus stop and got the bus. Now that is keeping it real. 

Hard to compare him to Bolasie. In looks alone Bobby is much smaller and younger looking, no one is going to shove Yannick off the ball as easily as Bobby. I know for a fact Yannick had a personal trainer when he was here (which he himself employed) and took him to Palace with him, not sure if he went to Everton. (Yes I know he is injured at the moment) it seems all that extra work paid off.

Maybe if we had got Bobby from another Championship side he would be taken more seriously. As it is we've seen him grow up through the ranks but still thought of as 'young Bobby'. People don't treat Brownhill etc like this.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I remember back a couple of years ago, Bobby was playing in a reserve match at Ashton Gate and a load of his family were there naturally supporting him. I can't remember why but I had to wait around a while after the game so saw him meet up with his family, they all walked to the bus stop and got the bus. Now that is keeping it real. 

Hard to compare him to Bolasie. In looks alone Bobby is much smaller and younger looking, no one is going to shove Yannick off the ball as easily as Bobby. I know for a fact Yannick had a personal trainer when he was here (which he himself employed) and took him to Palace with him, not sure if he went to Everton. (Yes I know he is injured at the moment) it seems all that extra work paid off.

Maybe if we had got Bobby from another Championship side he would be taken more seriously. As it is we've seen him grow up through the ranks but still thought of as 'young Bobby'. People don't treat Brownhill etc like this.

I don't think the comparison is in Physic RM...but in attitude. Boalaise had drive, and determination to better himself. He knew his weaknesses...hense the need to employ a personal trainer and beef up...shame he's got injured.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can't see he's a talent...it's just Bobby who needs to see it for what it is...a talent that hasn't reached it's potential and that needs to keep working harder and not get comfortable and think they've 'made it', because they are playing in the first team.

Because if he doesn't...at this level, if he doesn't kick on, he'll get dropped for someone new and end up missing his chance.

If Bobby is at risk of being dropped for someone new then I think every player would be before him in that risk - other than Tammy, of course.

There's not much he can do about being short. However in terms of being pushed off the ball, he's far less likely to have that happen than Freeman. Or Brownhill and Bryan come to that.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If Bobby is at risk of being dropped for someone new then I think every player would be before him in that risk - other than Tammy, of course.

There's not much he can do about being short. However in terms of being pushed off the ball, he's far less likely to have that happen than Freeman. Or Brownhill and Bryan come to that.

As I said RR...it's not about his physicality...it's about him settling and getting in a comfort zone. Like LJ alludes to...he's got the talent, but not the end product.

At this level, you need the end product.

I'm guessing from LJ's comments that he's referring to this as well, but in a nicer round about way, with a positive spin.

As in...'find your scoring boots and you'll be a £5 million player'.

No point having a player in the team at this level, if you get the opportunities to score, but don't on a regular basis. He needs to do more...as does the like of Tomlin and others when it comes to scoring from open play.

If we want to kick on, then Bobby has to kick on as well...or it will be a lower to mid table team for all parties.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

How old are you? ;)

Bobby has the makings of a very good player, a bit more consistency and he could be that 5M player. Seems to link up with Tomlin well as well

To be honest, I think the tone of most of these posts are barking up the wrong tree.

Bobby is already a very good Championship player, 4 goals this season, 1/5 record recently is fantastic for a centre midfielder.

If he could improve his chance conversion rate, he would be almost Premiership quality.

Oh, and no-one upon no-one will ever convince Bolasie is a quality player. His goal ratio at Championship level is less than 1/10.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

To be honest, I think the tone of most of these posts are barking up the wrong tree.

Bobby is already a very good Championship player, 4 goals this season, 1/5 record recently is fantastic for a centre midfielder.

If he could improve his chance conversion rate, he would be almost Premiership quality.

Oh, and no-one upon no-one will ever convince Bolasie is a quality player. His goal ratio at Championship level is less than 1/10.

Well there was a post on tuesday where someone stated bobby is a good player and got slated followed by loads of likes for the comment. Seems some think differently to you and I!

I reckon that Bamba's incredible goal line clearance, preventing Reid's certain goal against Cardiff, knocked the confidence from him.  No doubt he must have questioned whether he could've done more to bury the chance, and perhaps this has affected his goal-scoring ability.

Here's the question though, what is his current market value?  Perhaps about £1.5 million?

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

As I said RR...it's not about his physicality...it's about him settling and getting in a comfort zone. Like LJ alludes to...he's got the talent, but not the end product.

At this level, you need the end product.

I'm guessing from LJ's comments that he's referring to this as well, but in a nicer round about way, with a positive spin.

As in...'find your scoring boots and you'll be a £5 million player'.

No point having a player in the team at this level, if you get the opportunities to score, but don't on a regular basis. He needs to do more...as does the like of Tomlin and others when it comes to scoring from open play.

If we want to kick on, then Bobby has to kick on as well...or it will be a lower to mid table team for all parties.

That's the line I was highlighting in my post, Spud.  None of our midfield is exactly prolific.  However Bobby scores more from open play than the rest of them put together.

I suspect that, like Baldock back in the day, his "misses" have become an issue because he actually gets in dangerous places and has a crack more often than the rest of the side (Tammy excluded).  

I'd shine the spotlight more on those who have tended not to get in dangerous places or have a go at goal when it beckons. Hello Lee Tomlin and Luke Freeman*!

* That said, I wouldn't criticise Luke on the basis of his last game, where he played better than he has all season.

7 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well there was a post on tuesday where someone stated bobby is a good player and got slated followed by loads of likes for the comment. Seems some think differently to you and I!

I always chuckle that after every defeat, the usual moaners pipe up that Reid is nothing more than a League 1 midfielder.  As you've probably seen, this happens every single time.

After a few days, his reputation slowly recovers.

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's the line I was highlighting in my post, Spud.  None of our midfield is exactly prolific.  However Bobby scores more from open play than the rest of them put together.

I suspect that, like Baldock back in the day, his "misses" have become an issue because he actually gets in dangerous places and has a crack more often than the rest of the side (Tammy excluded).  

I'd shine the spotlight more on those who have tended not to get in dangerous places or have a go at goal when it beckons. Hello Lee Tomlin and Luke Freeman*!

* That said, I wouldn't criticise Luke on the basis of his last game, where he played better than he has all season.

Agreed...and that's probably why LJ has made the comments he has, as he see's the potential for Bobby to become even better. Tomlin has hit his peak...he's not going to get better. Freeman may...but I'd say out of those three, Bobby has the potential to do even better.

It's frustrating when you can see a talent, but know something has to happen, for that player to realise it himself and not just settle.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone who saw his goal in pre season at Bath will know that he has got it in him & the technique to strike a ball sweet as a .....

One of the best strikes I've seen in many a year

Agreed fella...just needs to do it on a more consistent basis to get to that next level.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I always chuckle that after every defeat, the usual moaners pipe up that Reid is nothing more than a League 1 midfielder.  As you've probably seen, this happens every single time.

After a few days, his reputation slowly recovers.

Yeah probably the same who laughed at those who thought Flint, Pack, Bryan, Freeman etc were good players.

The best used to be RB back in GJ days. Callers used to moan that Sproules great as an impact but we need someone with his pace and skill who can cross the ball well, good passer, who wont get knocked off the ball and get back and defend.......so basically a premier league winger.  Our players cant do everything but if they could they wouldn't be here.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This is what also annoys me, if Reid went missing in games as much as some of our other midfielders we would not be having this conversation as there would be no misses, wasted chances etc, people are criticising him for being one of the few players trying to do something. Maybe he should do less and the fans might start loving him... we should be happy that he is on of our few players that gets into good positions on a regular basis. He is also one of the few players that looks up, see space and just runs at the opposition instead of fliff, flaffing around wasting time looking for a meaningless pass because they do not want to take on the responsibility. Freeman had 2 efforts against Brentford both pretty poor (one from almost the exact spot he was in for the "wonder" goal), Bryan missed a sitter with a poor header (did he even need to head it, he could have brought it down and put it pass the keeper ?), Korey had a punt... and that's it pretty much it from our midfield.

Personally I feel Reid still thinks he is the best kid in the playground. Problem is he is playing in the Championship. Yes, he needs to work on his technical attributes. Too many of his passes do not come off through interceptions. Not consistent or alert enough in keeping possession as the loss of ball in the last game led to a goal against. Also his lack of consistent control was highlighted in the golden opportunity in the second half when played into the area in space a heavy touch allowed the keeper to beat him to the ball instead of having a great chance with just the goalie to beat.

Yes he has it all, good vision in particular, but he must get his application up a few notches to reach a reasonable level in the Championship. Can never see him playing at a higher level.

Archived