IGNORED

'One of those days'

The Nest Egg

Yet again, we lose to be told it is just 'one of those days'? It's been 'one of those days' for two months now! If we were not so wasteful with our shooting we would be able to avoid these uncertainties and these incidents where games hang on unfortunate events! 
Reid is a skillful and technical player, but he is NOT a #10! his finishing is too poor and underdeveloped. Tomlin is blowing out of his **** trying to play two positions at once and Bryan is even a shadow of his poor performances last year. 

I do not consider myself an LJ hater, and I always try to persevere with what the club are trying, but personally, I do not accept that excuse anymore. Not after the last two months. The fact is we are predictable, lightweight and leave ourselves susceptible to narrow defeats. We claim as a club to have progressed, and yet here we are in mid December once again failing the mid season acid test as PNE beat us 2-1. The more things change with our new signings, the more they stay the same.

4 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Players are good enough.  We're tactically inept

Maybe a bit of both. Not enough from too many players for me and I'm the first to defend them but going on 3 months of the same. Too many mistakes from too many players and it is every game now. I'll try not to be over dramatic but even when we were winning we weren't great. Winning ugly was used many times. We're still playing ugly but now we're not scoring and conceding the softest of goals. 

5 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Really? There's some serious deficiencies in that squad - and that's before even considering the ability (or lack of) of the manager.

IMO, all you have to do is look at some of the squads around us to know the players aren't the problem (although they're of course at fault for their individual mistakes).

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Players aren't good enough. Johnson will be a good coach one day but this may have been too much too soon for him. 

In regards to Johnson and his job, if he is to go (personally hope he doesn't) then who would be to replace him?

People mentioning the likes of Monk & Pearson (last season) etc are in cloud cuckoo land.We are not really even an established Championship club yet and after last seasons fiasco.

You know it would be an up and coming young coach or the dreaded cheap option

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Every single player? How many? I'd say we have a large number of quality players. Just unorganised and need a striker. The one player I am doubting now is magnusson. Far too weak. Seemed to get away with it all season until recently. 

It's probably harsh on me to lump them all together. Magnusson was really good to start but I've been seeing the same problems for a few matches now. Confident on the ball but it leads to a mistake a game as he gets it taken from him. Also seems to have that one or two times a game he gets bumped off the ball ghat leads to chances(see their winner). Pack is the same. Usually brilliant but has those few mistakes per game that cost us. Wingers don't offer us enough either. I say the same things every week though. Harsh to lump them together but only 4-5 have been or are good enough for a decent team in this league. 

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Not a snowballs...

Methinks he'll be off to Norwich anyway

Then O'Neil to us hopefully, doubt it though, but there's nobody else in need of a manager now. He's obviously not doing well but is still a great manager & may just need a fresh start.

4 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

In regards to Johnson and his job, if he is to go (personally hope he doesn't) then who would be to replace him?

People mentioning the likes of Monk & Pearson (last season) etc are in cloud cuckoo land.We are not really even an established Championship club yet and after last seasons fiasco.

You know it would be an up and coming young coach or the dreaded cheap option

I have no names and I'm not calling for his job. It just seems to me it may have been too big a job too soon. What do we do? Do we give him the entire year regardless? Do we stick with him through a relegation? It's getting Steve Cotterill like at the moment. Lack of ideas albeit less stubbornness. How long do we give him? All genuine questions. Like I said I'm not calling for his job right now but how far are we going with Johnson? Much of the recruitment goes down the drain with a relegation. 

Team is just completely drained of confidence and we all know that's the hardest thing to turn around . We are so so so predictable to watch at the moment it's infuriating. 

Bryan starting at LB and Golbourne not in the squad (unless he's injured) is an absolute myth. He doesn't look half the player he was two years ago. 

I've got a lot of time for LJ and I still buy in to what we are trying to do long term but he needs results and fast. Unfortunately for him these days fans lose patience and fast! 

4 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Then O'Neil to us hopefully, doubt it though, but there's nobody else in need of a manager now. He's obviously not doing well but is still a great manager & may just need a fresh start.

So you'd be happy to sack a manager who hasn't had even a year?

A manager who has fairly unspectacular but not a bad (albeit a bad run currently) Championship record?

What makes you think O'Neil would come here anyway? According to the sages of OTIB we don't want Scottish managers here... 

3 minutes ago, BITW said:

Team is just completely drained of confidence and we all know that's the hardest thing to turn around . We are so so so predictable to watch at the moment it's infuriating. 

Bryan starting at LB and Golbourne not in the squad (unless he's injured) is an absolute myth. He doesn't look half the player he was two years ago. 

I've got a lot of time for LJ and I still buy in to what we are trying to do long term but he needs results and fast. Unfortunately for him these days fans lose patience and fast! 

Joe Bryan looked like Marcelo before the goal. After the goal everyone's ability dropped by about 50%. You're spot on with confidence. I'd give the young guys a run. Too young and naive to feel pressure. 

Without 2 proper wingers (i.e. Very quick with the ability to cross) we are always going to struggle. All successful teams have that element to them.

I like LJ but how can you miss that???

Prehaps like me he thought Bryan and O'Dowda would deliver on that front - they haven't.

Paterson/Reid/Tomlin aren't wingers and Freeman doesn't have the pace or the end product at this level. 

We need to overhaul this area. Quickly.

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

So you'd be happy to sack a manager who hasn't had even a year?

A manager who has fairly unspectacular but not a bad (albeit a bad run currently) Championship record?

What makes you think O'Neil would come here anyway? According to the sages of OTIB we don't want Scottish managers here... 

Yes, but I've always openly been against LJ's appointment so that's unsurprising. I don't think he'd come here either, I'd just hope so.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

My main worry about that 2nd goal with magnusson was that it looked like he bottled a 50/50. Maybe im wrong but if he is one of these that doesn't like getting hurt, then it doesn't matter how much stronger he might become when he matures, he needs to be putting his body on the line in this league. I hope Ekstrand can get himself fit as we need him.

I've seen him get stuck in before though but he did shy away in this scenario. I'm a big fan and he's not a finished product. Just a few too many not finished products in the team. 

4 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Without 2 proper wingers (i.e. Very quick with the ability to cross) we are always going to struggle. All successful teams have that element to them.

I like LJ but how can you miss that???

Prehaps like me he thought Bryan and O'Dowda would deliver on that front - they haven't.

Paterson/Reid/Tomlin aren't wingers and Freeman doesn't have the pace or the end product at this level. 

We need to overhaul this area. Quickly.

Talking about their wingers, and team in fact, they do some fantastic business. Paid peanuts for players like Robinson and Pearson who I thought both were fantastic. A loan striker with experience in a few leagues. McGeady on a free who I thought was quiet until second half. We don't always need to buy 2-3m players and could learn a thing or two from Preston. Also their LB was solid and didn't cost them too much. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have no names and I'm not calling for his job. It just seems to me it may have been too big a job too soon. What do we do? Do we give him the entire year regardless? Do we stick with him through a relegation? It's getting Steve Cotterill like at the moment. Lack of ideas albeit less stubbornness. How long do we give him? All genuine questions. Like I said I'm not calling for his job right now but how far are we going with Johnson? Much of the recruitment goes down the drain with a relegation. 

Ok just to point out while a genuine question, its pure conjecture about relegation.. it hasn't happened.

The squad we have are fairly average to good players and in the middle of the rebuild, look at the mess that Johnson inherited last year. 

More upheaval means quick fix which never works out in the long term anyway, this is City after all... Clubs go on good & bad runs, that is the nature of the beast as they say, this is the test of his credentials, he endured a spell at Barnsley and then turned it around, no reason he can't do it here. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Ok just to point out while a genuine question, its pure conjecture about relegation.. it hasn't happened.

The squad we have are fairly average to good players and in the middle of the rebuild, look at the mess that Johnson inherited last year. 

More upheaval means quick fix which never works out in the long term anyway, this is City after all... Clubs go on good & bad runs, that is the nature of the beast as they say, this is the test of his credentials, he endured a spell at Barnsley and then turned it around, no reason he can't do it here

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

More upheaval means quick fix which never works out in the long term anyway, this is City after all... Clubs go on good & bad runs, that is the nature of the beast as they say, this is the test of his credentials, he endured a spell at Barnsley and then turned it around, no reason he can't do it here. 

There is no way we should be relegated with the players we have so it shouldn't have to be a quick fix,just a manager who has a clue would be nice 

Archived